Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a second I Pace. The one I'm looking at is a dealer demo never titled w/ 3000 miles, but listed as used w/ a CPO warranty. Anyone know if this vehicle is eligible for the tax credit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I purchased mine form Ray Catena Jaguar dealer demo with 3k miles on it, which they received from corporate headquarters in Mahwah NJ. It was one of the 19 they received from JLR. Never titled. I was told I am eligible for 7500 $ Tax Credit. They extended warranty upto. 8yr 100k miles on it. O deductible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wanted to get a head-start on filling out my taxes (at least the part I'm aware of) and was disappointed to see that the IRS hasn't issued a 2019 version of the Form 8936. Any idea how long the IRS takes to do that? I'm good as long as it's done in January.... the EV tax credit is worth waiting on... but I'd like to not wait too long!

·
Registered
2 Posts
New member and quick question: I'm negotiating with a few so cal dealers right now -- and one of them has stated that the final sale price includes the $7,500 federal incentive and that I wouldn't be claiming anything on my 2020 return. Can that be correct -- can the dealer include the incentive in the sale price? I purchased another electric car in the past, so I'm familiar with claiming the federal tax credit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
266 Posts
New member and quick question: I'm negotiating with a few so cal dealers right now -- and one of them has stated that the final sale price includes the $7,500 federal incentive and that I wouldn't be claiming anything on my 2020 return. Can that be correct -- can the dealer include the incentive in the sale price? I purchased another electric car in the past, so I'm familiar with claiming the federal tax credit.

Thanks!
If it is a lease, then yes. If it is a new car sale, then they shouldn't be able to.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If it is a lease, then yes. If it is a new car sale, then they shouldn't be able to.
This. You don't get the tax credit if you lease, because you're renting the car. The company gets it and has to deduct it from the sales price.

In some cases a "new" car is NOT eligible for the tax credit even when purchased. This can happen if a car was a registered demo, for example.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right. My understanding was the credit goes to the first owner to title. Leasing company for the lease or first owner for the purchase. My suspicion then is that perhaps they are trying to sell me a registered demo --- but I would assume that this would preclude them from selling the vehicle and claiming it is "New".

Regardless, perhaps I should move on to another dealer.... Thanks all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Right. My understanding was the credit goes to the first owner to title. Leasing company for the lease or first owner for the purchase. My suspicion then is that perhaps they are trying to sell me a registered demo --- but I would assume that this would preclude them from selling the vehicle and claiming it is "New".

Regardless, perhaps I should move on to another dealer.... Thanks all.
Technically they can sell the car as "new" if it's a registered demo or dealer car, to an extent. It's definitely a shady tactic, though, and I quickly moved away from a dealer that was trying to pull the same.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wanted to get a head-start on filling out my taxes (at least the part I'm aware of) and was disappointed to see that the IRS hasn't issued a 2019 version of the Form 8936. Any idea how long the IRS takes to do that? I'm good as long as it's done in January.... the EV tax credit is worth waiting on... but I'd like to not wait too long!
Update - the IRS Form is now in draft at least..... hopefully this isn't a difficult form to get finalized so those of us that purchased last year can move forward!
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i8936--dft.pdf

·
Registered
51 Posts
Turbo tax has always had the form for me. Very simple.
I agree and have used Turbo Tax for years. Unfortunately, it won't let you fill this form out to get the refund as it isn't an approved form yet. (Turbo Tax is beholden to the IRS just like we are!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I checked over the weekend TT listed the 12th of February as the release date in the system (due to the needed timing for testing/validation of their form submission with the IRS).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I leased my IPACE 12/19 and I received the full federal credit of $7500 and SCE rebate of $1000. It was taken off the California rebate program due to the price of the car. I guess they figure only Rich people can afford to buy the IPACE. The rebate used to be $2500 but that was removed after 12/19/19 and I leased after that date which sucks. I’m not rich. The only reason I can afford $880 payment a month is because I budget my money very well and not because I’m rich.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I leased my IPACE 12/19 and I received the full federal credit of $7500 and SCE rebate of $1000. It was taken off the California rebate program due to the price of the car. I guess they figure only Rich people can afford to buy the IPACE. The rebate used to be $2500 but that was removed after 12/19/19 and I leased after that date which sucks. I’m not rich. The only reason I can afford $880 payment a month is because I budget my money very well and not because I’m rich.
The California rebate ended on 12/3/19 I had had to lease mine before then

Did you look into the SCAQMD rebate toward a a changer?
Did you get the free charger and install?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did get the free charger install in my house but I had to pay $400 because Ipade only gave $1500 credit towards the install.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I did get the free charger install in my house but I had to pay $400 because Ipade only gave $1500 credit towards the install.
I got the free charger and I got a rebate for it from SCAQMD. Depends how you structure it

I got every single penny of rebate possible

21 - 40 of 42 Posts