Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I saw this the other day. The most eye opening part was just how much better EV charging infrastructure is in China. Having state run EV networks with massive investment means uniformity, good integration and a wide range of charging options in both urban and rural areas. Maybe the US could be there in 5 years. Maybe.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I saw this the other day. The most eye opening part was just how much better EV charging infrastructure is in China. Having state run EV networks with massive investment means uniformity, good integration and a wide range of charging options in both urban and rural areas. Maybe the US could be there in 5 years. Maybe.
How can the US be there where there is absolutely no unified, targeted and funded government push to make it happen? The US highway system didn't come into existence because "private companies" wisely invested and created it. It was an enabler that changed our economy planned centrally.

Until we understand how we used to accomplish great things and lead the world and how we no longer seem to be willing or able nothing will happen by wishful thinking. We will simply be outrun by China and Europe.

Take a look at how many Chineses EV makers are working towards getting cars to the market.

·
Registered
549 Posts
How can the US be there where there is absolutely no unified, targeted and funded government push to make it happen? The US highway system didn't come into existence because "private companies" wisely invested and created it. It was an enabler that changed our economy planned centrally.

Until we understand how we used to accomplish great things and lead the world and how we no longer seem to be willing or able nothing will happen by wishful thinking. We will simply be outrun by China and Europe.

Take a look at how many Chineses EV makers are working towards getting cars to the market.
Here, here! There is no national discussion about EV charging and EV drivers are seen as outside the norm. It's tough because we don't pay gas taxes to either improve roads or charging infrastructure. Many states impose EV registration fees that don't recoup what's lost in gas taxes. Until many more people buy EVs for either fuel savings or to help with climate change, which many Americans don't believe, we're not going to see better infrastructure for a long time.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yes but it’s a chicken and egg problem. With my experiences with charging I honestly cannot recommend electric cars to most people. It has to be a secondary vehicle and that is not an option for most people.

Everywhere else they are developing both at the same time, knowing that you need charging for electric vehicles to catch on. Even in London every new light pole and public building now by law has to have it charging plug and charging stations. I have multiple level two charging stations all around. Even in the density they are already installing chargers as people don’t have garages.

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
Great discussion. Although I have to admit that I cringed at times at the displayed ignorance about charging. But it's a "real world test", so that necessarily models people who will just drive off with an EV and not worry about where and how to charge. You just can't assume there's a gas station where you're driving to!

Imagine a world where the freeway sign says "no EV fast charging stations within 30 miles". They do that for gas stations even though it's hardly needed. For EVs it's needed and yet there is no such signage.

Yes but it’s a chicken and egg problem. With my experiences with charging I honestly cannot recommend electric cars to most people.
I agree on that ... but it's because of people's *expectations*, not necessarily because infrastructure is lacking everywhere.

It has to be a secondary vehicle and that is not an option for most people.
Where infrastructure exists, and/or your needs are only local, an EV could easily be your only car. Many Tesla owners prove this.

Everywhere else they are developing both at the same time, knowing that you need charging for electric vehicles to catch on. Even in London every new light pole and public building now by law has to have it charging plug and charging stations. I have multiple level two charging stations all around. Even in the density they are already installing chargers as people don’t have garages.
Yep absolutely! I do have to say though that long-distance travel is also challenging in Europe. They're better at urban charging ... not so sure about long distance ... and in the US, which has vast underpopulated areas the size of European countries, this is a bigger issue to overcome.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
258 Posts
Nice post. Listened to the whole article, and agreed with many of the points made regarding deficiencies in the charging network here in the US compared to the other countries. However, I was disapointed that the reporters were a little naive regarding the differences between the driving conditions and distances in the countries. For example the quoted 265 mile trip in Michigan would not have a corresponding drive in the UK w/o going thru decent sized metro areas with multiple fast charging options.
As someone who grew up in the UK, I find the average American has no concept of the size difference. My first stop in the US was Chicago. The state of Illinois is about the same size north to south as England. Eye opening!
The US has different driving needs outside of the northeast and perhaps CA, compared to the bulk of Europe. Distances are much larger, urban areas are more distinct and separated, and climate extremes much more tasking. It will take more than a federally funded charging network to get a farmer in rural TX or AL to switch to an EV. Adoption in such areas is going to require a change in culture and society such that long distance driving is neither necessary nor preferred.

I don't have an answer to these needed societal changes, but I can appreciate that EV's are ideally suited to major population centers in the US, and that federal, state, local and private/commercial concerns should be focused on these areas and the benefits of EV adoption to individuals and society. Sometimes we expect too much, rather than take advantage of a new technology where it is best suited and adapt our behavior to where it is not well suited.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts