Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
It is a very nice car, but to me it just isn't $90k nice and the fact that it is a BEV turns out is not worth the cost to me.
It doesn't sound like you're very much resource-limited, so why not sell it back to your dealer, take the hit, and buy the car you really want? No sense in having a car you're not happy with!
I generally don’t give up that easy, nor do I generally own a car for more than 2 years. In due time I’ll give something else a try.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1) If it's your personal car, do you ever change it?
2) Isn't it better to put the steering where you want it and hit SET? Rather than move it around with toggle switch and keep rechecking it?
3) Is it something I'd pay money/weight for?
It's an extremely useful feature if you have multiple drivers in your household, each driver keeps their own key, and the I-Pace already adjusts seats & mirrors automatically based on which key unlocks it, if the steering adjustment was electric it could adjust that for the given key/driver as well

center/rear view mirror that can do this would be awesome too...

·
Registered
999 Posts
The 2019 Porsche Macan...
On a price comparison, Porsche always loses. I think the

I generally don’t give up that easy, nor do I generally own a car for more than 2 years. In due time I’ll give something else a try.
I think the more you drive, the more you will appreciate the car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Literally, everyone I have taken for a ride in the car is amazed. I'm still amazed when I put my foot to the floor. The acceleration is goofy fun.

I can live with some of the missing luxury items. I really can. The infotainment system kills me. I can not say that enough, sadly!

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Literally, everyone I have taken for a ride in the car is amazed. I'm still amazed when I put my foot to the floor. The acceleration is goofy fun.
Yeah I carpooled with my buddies for the Superb Owl (uh, not so superb) and they were duly impressed. They're no slouches either, two of them just simultaneously bought X3 M4s with virtually identical specs. Nice car ... but the i-Pace has it beat for cool factor, drive, and eco. Another friend has a 2014 S4, very stylish and fast and sporty .. but the i-Pace has it beat across the board ... maybe not quite in the corners, but close I'm sure.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quite honestly I have no idea what 'point' you are trying to make, except you don't seem to like my opinion about my car...Nowhere have I said things are 'malfunctioning'. As a matter of fact, I am one of, what seems to be a small number, that doesn't complain about blank/laggy screens or the infotainment. What I did say, was that given the option to return the car, now that I've lived with it for 3 months & 4000 miles, is yes, I would. Without a second thought. I also said that "there is a lot to like about the car & if you are committed to BEV above most else, it is probably the right car to have."

However, as we ALL should understand, there is no 'perfect' car, so one needs to decide which things one is willing to accept and which things one just can't happily live without. Sometimes those little things that are small annoyances and easily overlooked at first, become a rock in your shoe over time. It happens in all areas of life, that is why there is this thing called divorce. You pick a person that just seems to be all that and a bag of chips, but then discover that one thing they do that used to be charming, is now REALLY annoying...

I could have chosen to buy just about any car I wanted. I chose the I Pace, which in hindsight, was a mistake for me. I accepted the fact that feature-wise, the I Pace fell a bit short compared to every other car I considered, including other JLR vehicles. But, I had decided I was willing to accept that BEV 'premium'. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't prepared for the true 'cost' of that premium. Consider it this way, I fell in love with that truck stop waitress after a heavy night of drinking, got married in the chapel down the road and then woke up the next morning...She's a fine, sturdy woman who can do a lot of things right, just not the things I want to live with long term...
My point is take a good look at the car and the setup / design of the thing before driving it away. With the list you mentioned earlier this stuff would have been visible to you, at least it was to me during the test drive. Its fine you arent happy with the car, but based on the things you arent happy with then why did you even get this thing as all of that is part of the build. But I understand many swap their cars often, I am only on my 2nd car hence I'm clearly different.

But regardless, comparing this purchase to a broken relationship which ends in divorce I guess makes sense for most and is pretty funny....but i would guess a divorce is much more then 90k in some cases :wink2:

What would your immediate replacement of the IPace be then if you had to swap right away?

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
“What would your immediate replacement of the IPace be then if you had to swap right away?”
“...only on my 2nd car hence I'm clearly different.”

Yikes, I was on to my second car before I was even legal to drive!

Replacement vehicle? I have no idea, I would need to start my search over to decide what strikes my fancy. Possibly a 1981 Dodge Miranda with T-tips, provided I could find one still roadworthy...Maybe the V90 Ocean Race I was ‘this’ close to ordering in September. Maybe the S7 or the X7...hard to say, really...

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
So far away from any and all BEVs out there?
I have been cured of the desire to drive a BEV. I would definitely consider a PHEV, but until there is a BEV that can go at least 240 miles, with the cruise set at 75mph, even when it is -20F, I am not interested...for now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Absolutely KEEP.
The driving experience and design are more important for me. Is the range disappointing? Yes. Is it a big problem? No, not for me.

Reactions: fedorachef

·
Registered
101 Posts
This string was awesome! Mine wont be ready till May-June, hopefully they work on the bugs, but I cant wait!!! Looked all over and couldn't find what so here I wait. Keep me posted when you get yours. If the experience was worth the wait!

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I will definitely be posting my thoughts once I get mine. Hopefully by that time, even more bugs will be worked out including slow load times. I’m coming from a Lexus RX350 F Sport so I’m pretty sure that I’m going to be very impressive with the drive quality and handling.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I will definitely be posting my thoughts once I get mine. Hopefully by that time, even more bugs will be worked out including slow load times. I’m coming from a Lexus RX350 F Sport so I’m pretty sure that I’m going to be very impressive with the drive quality and handling.
I had initial problems with blank screens that have gone away without an update. I think there can be an interaction problem with the InControl Remote App that I needed reconnect with my car.

The car has been troublefree. May be a little quirky at times on Infotainment startup, and laggy when doing configuration changes. Nothing that would make me want to return the car.

I don't pamper or hypermile the car and feel comfortable that I can always get between 180 and 190 miles before getting a bit nervous.

the drive performance, the comfort and they style have been fantastic. I don't have any buyers remorse. The one time I was ready to walk away, really was more on the lack of communication on the initial delivery side. That is more of a dealer relationship. Some are great and other a not so great.

Good luck with your new car.

Reactions: Calidave and ryzvy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep it!

I would definitely keep it! I owed a Model S for almost six years and I had many hardware issues versus software issues. The software issues have all been around the Infotainment system and I would suspect that these will continually be resolved over time (hopefully via OTA). Software is easier than hardware issues. My current issue is that I can't log in to my account for the navigation system. What that means is that I cannot use the Jaguar Route Planner App until this is resolved. The service department wants me to bring the car in so they can reinstall the system which should resolve it. And the other shortcomings (steering wheel) are a small price to pay considering the amount of luxury you get versus a Tesla. For me, it drives so much smoother than my Model S. The sounds system is much better. Lastly, the car looks so much nicer. I get so many people telling me how cool the car looks! Everyone and their mother has a Model S or a 3 where I live so it felt so good selling my S and getting this car.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Just had a long chat with one of the service writers at my dealer. He just bought a loaded Model S 85 for $110K (!). He and his husband love that car but he (as a Jaguar rep who knows the iPace well and has driven it a lot) totally agrees that the iPace is the much better 'car' (interior, handling, suspension etc) ... and that Tesla has the better tech (e.g., charging, lane keep, etc).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would definitely keep mine. I absolutely love driving it. My only issue is that the infotainment screens take a while to load (as many have noted). But if you wait until they boot before driving, no issues at all.

All in all, it’s a wonderful car and I don’t regret the purchase at all.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just had a long chat with one of the service writers at my dealer. He just bought a loaded Model S 85 for $110K (!). He and his husband love that car but he (as a Jaguar rep who knows the iPace well and has driven it a lot) totally agrees that the iPace is the much better 'car' (interior, handling, suspension etc) ... and that Tesla has the better tech (e.g., charging, lane keep, etc).
I definitely agree with this. It's not that Teslas have more features necessarily - they sort of don't. They don't have blind spot monitoring, HUD etc. However, Teslas do some pretty cool things - like automatically raising the nose if needed when driving into your driveway. The nav and voice control are much more user-friendly.

I definitely prefer many other features of my I-Pace to a Tesla or I would have bought one but I can't argue that the tech is overall better on a Tesla.

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm 1000km and 3 weeks in. I now have the coolest car of anyone I know. Driving around town, I literally never think "wish I were driving that instead of this". Fast, comfy, and stylish.

Maybe I'm weird, but the infotainment system doesn't bother me. Mind you, I use Android Auto for phone, sms, and music.

Also I'm a pretty serious environmentalist, and the time for driving on fossil fuel has passed.

41 - 60 of 147 Posts