Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! We are heavily considering purchasing a used ipace, though I am concerned about the overall reliability. We have some great deals in the MA area, though I'd like to pick the brains of this group.

Based on some of the discussions I've read here it leads me to believe I should stay the **** away from jaguar.

If you had it all to do over again, would you purchase an ipace?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would. Leased a 2020 and have had for 6 months with no problems except minor electrical hiccups - very occasional stuck screen, intermittent wipers with a mind of their own. Electrical issues much rarer with new updates.

There were no other AWD EV and still no other I liked better. Styling, interior, performance combination is still the best IMO. We're early adopters to new tech which is one reason I leased it. If it continues trouble free and tech hasn't advanced significantly I will buy it outright at end of lease.

If polestar 2 was available, I would have seriously considered it. Not a fan of the mustang EV styling. Taycan out of my price range. Audi not sporty enough.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Greetings! We are heavily considering purchasing a used ipace, though I am concerned about the overall reliability. We have some great deals in the MA area, though I'd like to pick the brains of this group.

Based on some of the discussions I've read here it leads me to believe I should stay the **** away from jaguar.

I would certainly buy mine again but recommend that you ask for a battery health report before deciding. Most owners on FB and here have experienced very few problems but there have been a few lemon law buy backs and a few battery problems. Most of the issues you read about here are software related and Jaguar has done a good job of fixing many of them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'd happily get another I-Pace. The snafus are minimal and typical of any modern, high-tech car. Software updates have improved the vehicle significantly.

Most importantly, there's no car that has the same combination of high performance, handling, comfort, utility, ground clearance, off-road capability, steering feel, efficiency, acceleration, and looks. The I-Pace can do absolutely anything and look good at the same time. If I subtract the ground clearance and offroad capability, there's still no vehicle that can compete. If I subtract comfort, looks, steering feel, and utility too, I can go with a Model 3. If I subtract comfort, handling, steering feel, and looks but keep the utility (or even gain some) then there's the Model X, but that's a horribly unreliable vehicle (axles, doors) that is also too damned wide for a country road.

I can always go with a gasser, but then I lose immediate acceleration and efficiency. In that case, I'd go for a JLR crossover of some sort, or a Porsche. I really did like the Discovery Sport loaner I got. Easy to drive at the limit. Can be had with 3 rows. Comfy.

The only other gasser I'd seriously consider is the GR Yaris, and that isn't coming to America.

My perfect stable would include:
A small, light, RWD car. That's my Scion FRS. I'd happily replace or supplement with a Honda E, but none for America. Miata works too, but it's too small for my torso, and I like having rear seats for the kids.
A small, light, AWD pocket rocket. That would be the GR Yaris, but none for America. Maybe an old Mazda 323GTX. Nothing else fits the bill.
A comfortable, luxurious, high performance do-anything EV. That's the Jaguar I-Pace.
A small, fun, runabout EV. Fiat 500e. Mini SE. i3 is small and runabout but not fun to drive.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes I would absolutely buy the I-Pace again. Is it perfect? No. Still the best EV available IMO.

Mine required no service before the first scheduled at 21,000 miles. All recalls completed, all software up to date, small defective interior part replaced, all at no charge.

And with used pricing or current incentives you will be getting a far better deal on a car with all the updates completed.

Best car I have ever owned. Assuming you will have a level 2 charging station at home you are good to go.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
278 Posts
......A comfortable, luxurious, high performance do-anything EV. That's the Jaguar I-Pace.
A small, fun, runabout EV. Fiat 500e. Mini SE. i3 is small and runabout but not fun to drive.
I appreciate the different classes, but with an EV such as the I-Pace on the driveway, what is gained by a Fiat 500e?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I appreciate the different classes, but with an EV such as the I-Pace on the driveway, what is gained by a Fiat 500e?
I always knew @jsimon7777 was a genius.

Its small, easy to use car. Made for Getting around town
I've been using The I-Pace for weekends and special occasions, everything esle with the 500e.
It's very efficient at 4.6mi kWh

·
Registered
958 Posts
I can park the Fiat 500e in spaces that almost no other car can fit in, including a Honda Fit. When I go into Oakland, that's a handy feature.

·
Registered
958 Posts
That's my second favorite 500e color. I prefer the orange, which we had for 2 years, but the blue is a close second.
I just haven't gotten the 500e since, with the lockdown, we're barely driving and have three cars already.

We do have the Subaru Forester, which can tow a light trailer and carry a ton. Mainly I like it because I don't care about it. Scratches and cracks don't bother me none. Otherwise it's slow, ungainly, ugly, and uncomfortable. It'll be my daughter's first car in a year and few days.

Also, we're driving to socal a few times this summer. We're getting a puppy. Probably gonna take the Forester. Easier than charging. Normally I'd fly, but not in a diseased airplane.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I know, right? I once got an IQ test, but it was her first time giving the test, getting a PhD, and so she wouldn't tell me the score. She since forgot it. Is it a good sign when, in the middle of an IQ test, the test taker says, "Whoa!"? That was the digit span part. Anyway, I got to have sex with her. That was genius part, speaking of another digit span.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
278 Posts
I can park the Fiat 500e in spaces that almost no other car can fit in, including a Honda Fit. When I go into Oakland, that's a handy feature.
Forgot about going into town - haven't done that for a few months. 🙂 Is the 500 that much smaller?
That said, I find my I-Pace to be an everyday car - from commuting 20 mIles to work to running errands around the home area, kids to soccer practice, bringing lumber or stone back from Lowes etc . It almost seems a shame to spend $+70k on a vehicle and only use it for special occasions - kinda like the special china set that only sees the light of day at Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Forgot about going into town - haven't done that for a few months. 🙂 Is the 500 that much smaller?
That said, I find my I-Pace to be an everyday car - from commuting 20 mIles to work to running errands around the home area, kids to soccer practice, bringing lumber or stone back from Lowes etc . It almost seems a shame to spend $+70k on a vehicle and only use it for special occasions - kinda like the special china set that only sees the light of day at Thanksgiving.
We use the I-Pace more than the other cars. It's just so much better. I don't actually drive into Oakland/Berkeley anymore, so I don't have parking issues now. Maybe in the future.
The 500e really can park in all kinds of spaces. It's 42" shorter than the I-Pace. 9" shorter than a current Mini, though only 4.5" shorter than the older ones. The 500e is basically 3/4 of a real car.

·
Registered
4 Posts

If I had to do it all over again, I would've bought a Tesla, as they have improved dramatically and my I-Pace has been in the shop 15 times!! Beautiful car, but did not perform to what I was promised when I bought the car. I am currently with an attorney for the Lemon Law here in California as JLR has turned down my buyback 2 times now! Good luck to all the other people who have had no issues!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I had to do it all over again, I would've bought a Tesla, as they have improved dramatically and my I-Pace has been in the shop 15 times!! Beautiful car, but did not perform to what I was promised when I bought the car. I am currently with an attorney for the Lemon Law here in California as JLR has turned down my buyback 2 times now! Good luck to all the other people who have had no issues!!
Thank you all for the feedback! We ended up getting the car, and we love it! My only complaint is that I wish more thought went into the mobile app.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback! We ended up getting the car, and we love it! My only complaint is that I wish more thought went into the mobile app.
Congratulations on your new I-Pace! If you have an Android phone you might consider WattCat. It's an aftermarket app that has some additional functionality and is really useful. It displays the actual battery kWh vice the simpler state of charge and is faster than the official Jaguar app. If you have an IOS phone here's the link to a thread here about the new Jaguar app: Newer official Jaguar iOS app available state side..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations on your new I-Pace! If you have an Android phone you might consider WattCat. It's an aftermarket app that has some additional functionality and is really useful. It displays the actual battery kWh vice the simpler state of charge and is faster than the official Jaguar app. If you have an IOS phone here's the link to a thread here about the new Jaguar app: Newer official Jaguar iOS app available state side..
Thank you, and thanks for sharing! Would you happen to know what the guardian mode does in the jaguar app? Wasn't sure if that's their version of Tesla's sentry mode?

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
I have the same question! Did anyone try it out? I'm reluctant to put the kitty into Service Mode, which is what the next screen prompts for.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thank you, and thanks for sharing! Would you happen to know what the guardian mode does in the jaguar app? Wasn't sure if that's their version of Tesla's sentry mode?
I don't know what Guardian mode is as I have the Android version and don't see it. It may be the equivalent of Service mode and I'll have to check to see what it does.

·
Registered
607 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts