Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Early 2021 we sold our high spec diesel Mercedes compact SUV (range 800-1000 km) and acquired an MY21 on a 3 year lease as our only vehicle. This has been our first BEV. Jaguar's promise of 20-80% charging in 40 minutes has never been fulfilled even in the most favourable summer weather. We have made two long trips with the I-Pace this year, both around 900 km each way. For the 900 km it took us about 11.5 hours in the I-Pace including charging stops (4 or 5 charging stops depending on the stop strategy, starting with 100% SoC). I would estimate that this is about 10% longer than with the diesel Mercedes we had before which is ok. I think the I-Pace could be tweaked in terms of efficiency and charging speed.
In the first quarter of this year, in cold weather, the charging speed was a lot worse on HPCs. Longer trips in winter in this part of the world are somewhat tedious in terms of predictability of charging delays. Preheating of the battery pack before arrival at a scheduled charging stop would significantly improve the charging delays at colder temperatures. We had one issue already with the 12V auxiliary battery system where the car wouldn't budge. This seems to have been solved with an update to several modules. Issues related to SOTA updates to Pivi have been frequent, most significantly camera issues which is clearly a safety problem with the I-Pace's lack of visibility.
I hope that when the lease expires that the I-Pace remains an attractive option but I have my doubts, JLR need to take better heed of their customers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Technically faster charging, but practically does it make a significant difference? I've complete the PA to Montreal run (930miles round trip) numerous times with my FE. Happy to use convenient 50kW chargers on route, rather than driving 10-15mins off route to charge faster. Got >80kW on a trip down to southern VA this summer.
Touch Pro works fine for my needs. I find the nav system very usable and no need for other nav systems.
For those of us who should be wearing bifocals, the Clearsight mirrors are a pita (and eyes) due to the image being just that and not a reflection.
In summary, the MY2022's are not significantly better than the original design. But, I understand some folks want new toys and the "latest" tech and software, just because they can.
agreed. That’s why I just bought used 2019. Didn’t think the new ones were worth 20k more. But obviously some people do. To each their own. The charging doesn’t bother me bc I plan on 240v charging at home mostly. And can always use a friends ICE car for trips.(They would gladly watch the kitty for the weekend, lol). The upgraded PIVIX is nice too but I plan using CarPlay mostly. The only thing I really want is the clear sight. Haven’t gotten used to the lack of visibility. But that can be retrofitted if I really want it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I purchased my pre-owned MY19 FE almost a year ago. I would 100% buy this car again as a 3 yr old, but it would be hard to wait 8 months to buy a MY22 or MY23 brand new. In the summer 2022 I would take strong look at the Cadillac Lyriq, and the Kia EV6 GT. If neither of those impress you, the i-PACE is still a very strong contender.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had my FE for 18 months now, but covered very little milage given Covid. Aside from Spotify occasionally not working (1 time in 10) it has been a good experience. the biggest single issue is the availability of good fast chargers on any long route. I now have high speed (350kw) chargers on the route to Whistler (from Seattle) and will be using the i-Pace for that journey, even in winter and with a roof box. It is 210 miles approx and I'm only going to need 20 mins of fast charging at one station.
My wife is giving up her Velar (fab car btw) next March when the lease is up and we will be EV only. The Jab lease is up the following spring. I leased it because my assumption was that EV tech was going to change quickly over the 3 years and i would want the latest and greatest at the end of the lease. I will see what is available, but I may now keep the Jag. 95% of the time I charge at home, so it is only Whistler and Portland that need me to charge it for longer trips. Whistler is now sorted, Portland Is OK, but could sue a fast charger on route, just to alleviate any range anxiety.
Top of my list for the replacement is a Rivian currently.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've had my FE for 18 months now, but covered very little milage given Covid. Aside from Spotify occasionally not working (1 time in 10) it has been a good experience. the biggest single issue is the availability of good fast chargers on any long route. I now have high speed (350kw) chargers on the route to Whistler (from Seattle) and will be using the i-Pace for that journey, even in winter and with a roof box. It is 210 miles approx and I'm only going to need 20 mins of fast charging at one station.
My wife is giving up her Velar (fab car btw) next March when the lease is up and we will be EV only. The Jab lease is up the following spring. I leased it because my assumption was that EV tech was going to change quickly over the 3 years and i would want the latest and greatest at the end of the lease. I will see what is available, but I may now keep the Jag. 95% of the time I charge at home, so it is only Whistler and Portland that need me to charge it for longer trips. Whistler is now sorted, Portland Is OK, but could sue a fast charger on route, just to alleviate any range anxiety.
Top of my list for the replacement is a Rivian currently.

hope that helps.
Thanks! Curious to hear how your trip to Whistler goes. Looking at thr EA map, it appears there are already fast chargers on the Portland/seattle route, no?

I’m a bit underwhelmed by the pace of change in the EV market as well..the fact that one of the older entries in this space is at the top of my list says it all. I don’t think we will see any significant changes until solid state batteries are commercialized. The Rivian looks cool but is way bigger than what I’m looking for plus I wouldn’t want to get a 1st year model from a brand new manufacturer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, no issues here just standard stuff same as my electric cadi ELR or i8 RE. It performed well off-road comparing to competitions who claim SUV but missing all off road functions such as surface control.

I recommend jag to use the same chassis and put few other models on it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Got mine in Jan 2019 and have had absolutely zero regrets. There is still no other vehicle available that I find as compelling for my needs. Sure the infotainment system could be less sluggish and the charging speeds could be faster but that's just nit-picking for me as I use a wireless Android Auto adapter and charge at home 95% of the time. The fit/finish and driving dynamics more than make up for all the minor annoyances. I know looks are subjective but in my eyes it's still one of the best looking vehicles on the road (EV or otherwise). If I was in the market for a new vehicle I would buy another one of these beauties without any hesitation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got mine just a few weeks ago because I wanted an EV that was also a more practical car than my current sports car, and something that also looked good.

Skipped the BMW iX3 as two of my neighbors have them.
Test drove the Ford Mustang E-Mach and felt let down as this isn't really a Mustang.
The I-Pace crossover solution was perfect for me. Got hooked when I test drove one and went for it.
Still very happy.

My wife wants a Mini Electric.
For my next car, how the car looks and handles will definitely affect my decision.
Perhaps I will revert to impractical but fun.

An electric F-Type maybe?

·
Registered
2019 S with S21A and 16.2
123 Posts
Went to the LA auto show. One forethought before you read my opinion. I think Tesla make a top notch appliance like EV. It is the best at so many things except being a great drivers vehicle. The Mach-E, Arya and id4 are nice but not for us. It seems like a great middle ground between luxury and making a good appliance. The Hyundai Iqonic 5 seems like they could compete and win in the appliance category and mainly fall short in the charging network issue. The only five vehicles that could convince me to switch out of the Ipace: Two value competitors are the Fisker Ocean and VinFast VF e36. It will be at least a year till real world experience and option price is known for those two. Their claimed specs, price and looks are all good things plus the fact theses will be made at existing factories. The Rivian R1S is one I am considering but it is in a different class and a higher price range. The only real advantage is the size and faster charging. That leaves the two luxury competitors of the Cadillac Lyric and the Muller Five. The Lyric doesn’t look as good as the Ipace and Five but seems like a true competitor. So that means four years from when our current car came out till what I expect to be a good looking, great handling luxury EV is available (Lyric). The faster L3 charging and Super Cruise may convince us to switch to the Caddy.
For those of you that care, the Tycan doesn’t seem like enough car for the price compared to the Ipace and I already picked it over the Etron.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Test drove the Ford Mustang E-Mach and felt let down as this isn't really a Mustang.
The I-Pace crossover solution was perfect for me. Got hooked when I test drove one and went for it.
How would you compare the Mach E to the I-pace (talking about the driving part only)?
I know the Mach E is not really a Mustang, but then the I-pace also is not a sports car. So I'd be curious as to how they compare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How would you compare the Mach E to the I-pace (talking about the driving part only)?
I know the Mach E is not really a Mustang, but then the I-pace also is not a sports car. So I'd be curious as to how they compare.
The Mach-E felt limp in comparison with the I-Pace which feels more powerful and responsive.
Not like a roadster obviously but faster than my previous sports car.
I also noticed the adjustable ride height before I got it which is helpful where I live.

People who have driven it in winter say they have been able to go up hills in the snow where some 4x4 SUVs got stuck, I have not been able to verify this but will be testing the All Surface Progress Control (ASPC) setting..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The Mach-E felt limp in comparison with the I-Pace which feels more powerful and responsive.
Not like a roadster obviously but faster than my previous sports car.
I also noticed the adjustable ride height before I got it which is helpful where I live.

People who have driven it in winter say they have been able to go up hills in the snow where some 4x4 SUVs got stuck, I have not been able to verify this but will be testing the All Surface Progress Control (ASPC) setting..
I haven’t driven a Mach E but many reviews also mention a wallowy suspension and unsupportive seats. My personal deal breaker is the mandatory fake leather on all but the top GT trim. But at that point you’re in ipace territory price wise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Perhaps you will disregard my opinion because as of tomorrow our I Pace will have been at the dealer for eight weeks, but the I Pace is perhaps the finest automobile I have ever driven and I would absolutely buy another one. Did I mention it was also at the dealership for a month when it wouldn’t charge halfway to our vacation destination three months into ownership?

I’m an early adopter and have come to accept the troubles that sometime comes with that, but I love everything about the I Pace, except for the manual steering adjustment! I mean the sticker on our loaded HSE was approaching $80k and the steering wheel won’t adjust with the memory seats? It’s the only thing I think they missed the boat on.

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
19 Posts
Currently have a 2020 Range Rover sport. Took it in for service recently and got a loaner discovery sport with the new pivi infotainment system. So much better.

When i picked up my car I noticed they had a new Ipace in the showroom. Checked it out and loved the interior (had the beautiful tan Windsor leather seats). Spoke to the sales person and it got a test drive (alone without him).

Loved the driving experience, the seats and the buikd quality. I’ve actually considered EVs for many years now and have test driven several (including a taycan 4S). Overall , surprisingly, this is my favorite one so far. Only gripes are the kinda clunky manual steering wheel adjuster and the lack of an opening sunroof. Otherwise, this seems like a near perfect car: looks, comfort, ride quality, power, buikd quality, and handling. As much as I’d like a taycan sport turismo gts , the ipace seems like it gives my 95% of that experience at 60% of the price. I don’t really like any of the other EVs on the market despite the hype they get (Mach E, polestar, etron, EV6, etc). No interest in Teslas either. And in thinking about it, there’s no “daiky driver” gas cars i like more in this price range either.

But it’s a bit odd to me that I’m so in love with one of the older EVs on the market now and from a manufacturer not exactly known for their competence with electronics. OTOH, they’ve now had a few years to work out the bugs. Judging from lurking on a taycan forum, Porsche is still very much in the “learning stage” a d lots of owners are disappointed and frustrated. I will say that the taycans infotainment system seemed like a bigger nightmare than the one in my RRS plus it had a few squeaks/rattles. So I still think it’s a better bet (reliability wise) getting a 3rd year ipace rather than a newer model from another manufacturer. I known Audi has had plenty of issues with the etron too.

I have thought about how I use my car and 90% of the time I could charge at home. I am prepared for massive depreciation (lease rate is currently at50% for 3 years). Am also used to JLR quirks and having to do my own research to get the dealer to fix issues. The only car I could see maybe liking more (in this price range) is the upcoming macan EV but that likely won’t arrive until well into 2024.

So..what am I missing? Would you guys still consider a new ipace? If not what would you get instead? Currently toying with the idea of placing a custom order (which would take about 8 months according to the dealer - around the time my current lease is up)
Have a MY20 i-pace, With that said.... Before choosing the Jag I test drove the mach-e, polestar2, e-tron, model 3&Y, and no merc ev's in my market. There is no doubt I would do another i-pace - ride &build quality are not surpassed even now and the range of the Porsche models is weak. I do wish JLR would give a little battery range love, So sad that JLR is doing same as BMW did with the i3 - had 2 for the record. EVs need 300+ real mile range in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Currently have a 2020 Range Rover sport. Took it in for service recently and got a loaner discovery sport with the new pivi infotainment system. So much better.

When i picked up my car I noticed they had a new Ipace in the showroom. Checked it out and loved the interior (had the beautiful tan Windsor leather seats). Spoke to the sales person and it got a test drive (alone without him).

Loved the driving experience, the seats and the buikd quality. I’ve actually considered EVs for many years now and have test driven several (including a taycan 4S). Overall , surprisingly, this is my favorite one so far. Only gripes are the kinda clunky manual steering wheel adjuster and the lack of an opening sunroof. Otherwise, this seems like a near perfect car: looks, comfort, ride quality, power, buikd quality, and handling. As much as I’d like a taycan sport turismo gts , the ipace seems like it gives my 95% of that experience at 60% of the price. I don’t really like any of the other EVs on the market despite the hype they get (Mach E, polestar, etron, EV6, etc). No interest in Teslas either. And in thinking about it, there’s no “daiky driver” gas cars i like more in this price range either.

But it’s a bit odd to me that I’m so in love with one of the older EVs on the market now and from a manufacturer not exactly known for their competence with electronics. OTOH, they’ve now had a few years to work out the bugs. Judging from lurking on a taycan forum, Porsche is still very much in the “learning stage” a d lots of owners are disappointed and frustrated. I will say that the taycans infotainment system seemed like a bigger nightmare than the one in my RRS plus it had a few squeaks/rattles. So I still think it’s a better bet (reliability wise) getting a 3rd year ipace rather than a newer model from another manufacturer. I known Audi has had plenty of issues with the etron too.

I have thought about how I use my car and 90% of the time I could charge at home. I am prepared for massive depreciation (lease rate is currently at50% for 3 years). Am also used to JLR quirks and having to do my own research to get the dealer to fix issues. The only car I could see maybe liking more (in this price range) is the upcoming macan EV but that likely won’t arrive until well into 2024.

So..what am I missing? Would you guys still consider a new ipace? If not what would you get instead? Currently toying with the idea of placing a custom order (which would take about 8 months according to the dealer - around the time my current lease is up)

I have a 2019 First Edition I-Pace. In the first 18 months it spent 7 weeks in the shop for three different reasons. The charge port, the BCCM, and the unit that produces heat and cold for the interior. The JLR dealer was great about getting these issues resolved. There was a learning curve for us all on troubleshooting. While I think the time in the shop was excessive, we still love the car. Hopefully the newer models have ironed out some of these issues from the first year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Perhaps you will disregard my opinion because as of tomorrow our I Pace will have been at the dealer for eight weeks, but the I Pace is perhaps the finest automobile I have ever driven and I would absolutely buy another one. Did I mention it was also at the dealership for a month when it wouldn’t charge halfway to our vacation destination three months into ownership?

I’m an early adopter and have come to accept the troubles that sometime comes with that, but I love everything about the I Pace, except for the manual steering adjustment! I mean the sticker on our loaded HSE was approaching $80k and the steering wheel won’t adjust with the memory seats? It’s the only thing I think they missed the boat on.
That was the one thing that bugged me on my test drive - I can’t understand why they don’t have an electric adjustment for the steering column even as an option. They offer it in cheaper models that use the same steering wheel! What’s worse is that manual adjustment seems pretty clunky ans is not easy to lock into position. I used to have a 2001 bmw 3 series a long time ago - that had a way better manual adjuster. Anyway it really makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have a 2019 First Edition I-Pace. In the first 18 months it spent 7 weeks in the shop for three different reasons. The charge port, the BCCM, and the unit that produces heat and cold for the interior. The JLR dealer was great about getting these issues resolved. There was a learning curve for us all on troubleshooting. While I think the time in the shop was excessive, we still love the car. Hopefully the newer models have ironed out some of these issues from the first year.
Yeah that is one of the appeals of the ipace for me - they’ve now had a few years to iron out the kinks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Have a MY20 i-pace, With that said.... Before choosing the Jag I test drove the mach-e, polestar2, e-tron, model 3&Y, and no merc ev's in my market. There is no doubt I would do another i-pace - ride &build quality are not surpassed even now and the range of the Porsche models is weak. I do wish JLR would give a little battery range love, So sad that JLR is doing same as BMW did with the i3 - had 2 for the record. EVs need 300+ real mile range in my humble opinion.
Agree that woukd be nice. Fortunately I rarely go on long road trips so it’s not really a major consideration for me.

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
42 Posts
A forum is often a place where owners with problems seek help (and sometimes vent), but I believe the quiet majority are like myself — no problems and super happy.

I totally agree that no other vehicle has yet equaled the combination of looks, performance, luxury, and value of the ipace.

One item not mentioned so far is the water clearance. Here in Miami heavy rains sometimes cause street flooding and raising the suspension to give the ability to go through water 19” deep has been great.

·
Administrator
2,771 Posts
One item not mentioned so far is the water clearance. Here in Miami heavy rains sometimes cause street flooding and raising the suspension to give the ability to go through water 19” deep has been great.
I've forded streams in the boondocks that beefy trucks have turned around at. There you go, that's an urban / rural touchpoint!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts