Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently have a 2020 Range Rover sport. Took it in for service recently and got a loaner discovery sport with the new pivi infotainment system. So much better.

When i picked up my car I noticed they had a new Ipace in the showroom. Checked it out and loved the interior (had the beautiful tan Windsor leather seats). Spoke to the sales person and it got a test drive (alone without him).

Loved the driving experience, the seats and the buikd quality. I’ve actually considered EVs for many years now and have test driven several (including a taycan 4S). Overall , surprisingly, this is my favorite one so far. Only gripes are the kinda clunky manual steering wheel adjuster and the lack of an opening sunroof. Otherwise, this seems like a near perfect car: looks, comfort, ride quality, power, buikd quality, and handling. As much as I’d like a taycan sport turismo gts , the ipace seems like it gives my 95% of that experience at 60% of the price. I don’t really like any of the other EVs on the market despite the hype they get (Mach E, polestar, etron, EV6, etc). No interest in Teslas either. And in thinking about it, there’s no “daiky driver” gas cars i like more in this price range either.

But it’s a bit odd to me that I’m so in love with one of the older EVs on the market now and from a manufacturer not exactly known for their competence with electronics. OTOH, they’ve now had a few years to work out the bugs. Judging from lurking on a taycan forum, Porsche is still very much in the “learning stage” a d lots of owners are disappointed and frustrated. I will say that the taycans infotainment system seemed like a bigger nightmare than the one in my RRS plus it had a few squeaks/rattles. So I still think it’s a better bet (reliability wise) getting a 3rd year ipace rather than a newer model from another manufacturer. I known Audi has had plenty of issues with the etron too.

I have thought about how I use my car and 90% of the time I could charge at home. I am prepared for massive depreciation (lease rate is currently at50% for 3 years). Am also used to JLR quirks and having to do my own research to get the dealer to fix issues. The only car I could see maybe liking more (in this price range) is the upcoming macan EV but that likely won’t arrive until well into 2024.

So..what am I missing? Would you guys still consider a new ipace? If not what would you get instead? Currently toying with the idea of placing a custom order (which would take about 8 months according to the dealer - around the time my current lease is up)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well as someone who has had many EVs and have just traded the Porsche Taycan for an Audi ETron GT (so have good experience with most of the "latest and greatest") I will say that the Jaguar is still one of my favorites and I absolutely would buy it again. It is really not "older" as the rate of change in BEVs has slowed down in the past few years. Yes new cars are coming out with particular functions (like Taycan Turbo S as the "sportiest", Audi as the "GT-est" etc) but Jaguar nailed a great and unexpected spot in the market. To me it is sport, yes has utility. It rides GREAT, yes in dynamic is very nimble. I have driven in through thick snow and once up an embankment to avoid a car coming my way head on (and it just needed some grass removed from the door panel).

What I am saying is it is not "older" in any sense. It has a large battery, advanced battery and thermal managements (including a combined heat pump for battery and interior). It was tuned from the start to NOT be the most efficient, but a balance of efficiency, range, performance. Oh and the drive!

I will tell you I had more fun driving the Jaguar than I ever did driving the Taycan (except in the few times you do launch and hurt yourself but that gets old).

If you like the drive and interior (which BTW despite a little bit of a funky infotainment is to me very elegant and nicely done) I wouldn't worry at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is great to hear and echoes some of my thoughts as well (not really missing out on much in terms of what some of the newer entries bring). So do you currently still have an ipace in addition to your Audi?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was marvelling today as I zipped down the highway how wonderful this car feels. After three years it still rides like brand new. I can’t think of another electric car that I would trade it with currently and the thought of going back to Dino-power doesn’t seem likely.

The combination of ride quality, sporty dynamics and roominess (As Jag says: Space, Pace and Grace) makes it a winner in my mind

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steering assist primarily, but also FE trim (bragging rights). Bear in mind the chip shortage and cars being shipped w/o some combination of HUD, cameras, parking assist, 2nd keyfob etc.
The ‘22 I drove had steering assist (I tried it) so I guess they’ve brought it back. Had HUD and surround cameras as well fwiw

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
378 Posts
If there was a Jag dealer local to me, I would buy it again. The cost to get the car to a dealer for warranty service just makes it not worth it, but I suspect that is only an issue in Hawaii and Alaska.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes. It’s a pleasure to drive and it just feels good in the cockpit. The best car i ever bought also had issues. They are mechanical machines put through amazing stress. It comes with territory. I just get unhappy about the silly ones. Like the scheduled charging not working. But the pros outweigh the cons so far on this one.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
797 Posts
The ‘22 I drove had steering assist (I tried it) so I guess they’ve brought it back. Had HUD and surround cameras as well fwiw
Still wouldn't trade my 2019 FE for a new one. Not a sensible exchange. Plus, reluctantly, I've grown to like photon red. What do I get that I don't already have?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Still wouldn't trade my 2019 FE for a new one. Not a sensible exchange. Plus, reluctantly, I've grown to like photon red. What do I get that I don't already have?
The main advantages of 2022 appear to be faster charging, Pivix Pro, and better cameras (like the cool Clearsight). That and it’s a car that’s three years newer with 3 years more warranty. One has to decide if it worth the cost difference.

Keep in mind that all the new models are HSE. So if you don’t want to pay for some of the HSE features then an older S or SE is better.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Some cars are keepers. Most cars are not. The Scion xA was useful, though we eventually outfrew it. We've kept the Subaru Forester because it's just so useful, and now our daughter can use it. We kept the FRS because it's tons of fun, but now I'm reading it for sale 8.5 years later. We're keeping the Jaguar.

The shorter lived cars? Fiat 500e, Spark EV, BMW 528i, BMW 550i, Ram 1500, GMC Safari. The worst is the Model Y. I can't wait to get the new BMW to replace it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That is great to hear and echoes some of my thoughts as well (not really missing out on much in terms of what some of the newer entries bring). So do you currently still have an ipace in addition to your Audi?
I currently have an I-Pace, RS Audi Etron GT which replaced the Taycan Turbo S. I do not plan to get rid of my I-Pace anytime soon, unless they do a significant revision to the I-Pace (which I don't think they will anytime soon) as it fits all my needs for it.

I also have to say the bang for the buck of the I-Pace is way higher than most of the luxury BEVs. If luxury or all wheel drive is not required then the other EV I am very fond of (which won't suit you if you are looking at the I-Pace) is the Chevy Bolt. I have a friend who has the Polestar and she is disappointed in the missing features that have not been delivered yet (including CarPlay).

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
797 Posts
Yeah didn’t mean to imply that you should get a new one… agree photon rwd was one of the best colors
I've always kept a car until it was falling to bits. 8yrs with a T-Bird, 9yrs with a Mountaineer, 9yrs with an Escape hybrid. Once initial build issues are addressed, cars will tend to run a long time with few concerns above and beyond regular wear and tear.
I'm very happy with my FE, and would highly recommend the I-Pace to new buyers, BUT the car has not, in my mind, been improved since the initial model year. That said, there is still nothing available in the EV class that is comparable for price and quality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I've always kept a car until it was falling to bits. 8yrs with a T-Bird, 9yrs with a Mountaineer, 9yrs with an Escape hybrid. Once initial build issues are addressed, cars will tend to run a long time with few concerns above and beyond regular wear and tear.
I'm very happy with my FE, and would highly recommend the I-Pace to new buyers, BUT the car has not, in my mind, been improved since the initial model year. That said, there is still nothing available in the EV class that is comparable for price and quality.
I'd agree with that... probably even moreso with EVs. Any issues with the battery/motors are likely to occur early in the warranty period or not at all. I think Tesla have already shown that with proper cooling systems, Li-on batteries can last hundreds of thousands of miles worth of usage albeit with some degradation. Similarly, any software bugs that affect usabiltiy/relaibilty are likely to be fixed within the warranty period as well (or if not they never will be).

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
797 Posts
The main advantages of 2022 appear to be faster charging, Pivix Pro, and better cameras (like the cool Clearsight).
Technically faster charging, but practically does it make a significant difference? I've complete the PA to Montreal run (930miles round trip) numerous times with my FE. Happy to use convenient 50kW chargers on route, rather than driving 10-15mins off route to charge faster. Got >80kW on a trip down to southern VA this summer.
Touch Pro works fine for my needs. I find the nav system very usable and no need for other nav systems.
For those of us who should be wearing bifocals, the Clearsight mirrors are a pita (and eyes) due to the image being just that and not a reflection.
In summary, the MY2022's are not significantly better than the original design. But, I understand some folks want new toys and the "latest" tech and software, just because they can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I currently have an I-Pace, RS Audi Etron GT which replaced the Taycan Turbo S. I do not plan to get rid of my I-Pace anytime soon, unless they do a significant revision to the I-Pace (which I don't think they will anytime soon) as it fits all my needs for it.

I also have to say the bang for the buck of the I-Pace is way higher than most of the luxury BEVs. If luxury or all wheel drive is not required then the other EV I am very fond of (which won't suit you if you are looking at the I-Pace) is the Chevy Bolt. I have a friend who has the Polestar and she is disappointed in the missing features that have not been delivered yet (including CarPlay).
Sounds like a fun garage! Yeah... the more research I do, the more I realize that the I-pace hits a "sweet spot" for me that other dont. I'm not a fan of the polestar's design personally-- but interesting to know that they haven't yet delivered carplay on it. I think if I wanted to save some money, my 2nd choice might be a Q4 etron...it altleast appears to do everything acceptably well without any big dealbreakers. But in looking at specs and reviews, I have a feeling it would be about as fun to drive as a RAV4. And of coure it's blown out of the water by the i-pace (as it should be given the price difference). Doubt I'd ever get the Bolt, but in that price range the new MINI electric seems like it'd be fun.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts