Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you have an I-Pace if it wasn't an EV, but had the F-Pace 550ho SVR engine instead. Does the environmental impact of an EV sway your decision?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've spent years waiting for the right EV and the I-Pace met what I was looking for. Outside of the Tesla Model S, I haven't found many EVs that I thought looked good. Then when you look at the interior, the I-Pace seemed to hit every note right except for a wonky Infotainment system. I would have bought a Chevy Bolt if they only gave an option for truly improved seats. GM has great technology in the Bolt. From my personal checklist, I recorded deal breakers for every EV that was out at the time the I-Pace was announced and some were definitely price based. New vs Used Tesla Model S was too pricey for me.

There are more ICE options that fit personal preferences, even if the I-Pace looks great. I'm not a big fan of Jaguar quality, so I'd likely look at other ICE options.

Interesting poll. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The iPace would fall well short of most metrics with the SVR engine and not be a consideration for me. It'd be a somewhat better F-Pace, but the F-Pace is a pretty poor car so that's not saying much.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The car would not look like it does if it had an ICE. The snout would have to be much longer. It would not have that front air passage through the bonnet.

If I would have chosen from the Jaguar offerings, I would have preferred a Sportbrake with a diesel engine but that wasn't offered in the US.

I'm not one to look for a performance ride. It's the other aspects of transportation needs that the car must fulfill in order for me to make a purchase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have always wanted a hatchback without getting a soccer mom SUV. The thing I hate the most about SUVs(E&F-Pace, GLA) are they are so high up, instead of planted low like a car. I-Pace fits the bill for being a hatchback. I would like it even more if the car is a bit lower. I almost gotten an Alfa Giullia(not a hatchback, I know). If I can't get a hatchback, might as well I get what I like the most, an Alfa, and origami my road bike to fit it in the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
The EVness of it is inextricably linked to why it's such a great car. No ICE car could be like it, so the question whether one would buy an I-Pace without the electric drive train is sort of like asking if you'd buy a plane if it can't fly :)

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
277 Posts
The EVness of it is inextricably linked to why it's such a great car. No ICE car could be like it, so the question whether one would buy an I-Pace without the electric drive train is sort of like asking if you'd buy a plane if it can't fly [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I think the comparison might be closer if you were asking would someone buy a sailboat if it had no mast and a big dirty diesel.
The design is important for both looks and function. Yes, I might have bought a sporty crossover instead, but I wouldn't have forked out $+70k for one. All the talk of Porsche or more exotic directions were not options for us. I wanted something that was functional and comfortable to drive 2-3hrs regularly, and longer occasionally. Maybe another BMW in the family, since I need the interior space for teenagers and gear. Possibly the regular F-Pace, but buying the sport package just to have the acceleration and power is not my thing.
The bottomline for me was that the I-Pace ticked all my boxes from a driving/functional perspective, and I was prepared to pay a reasonable premium for the EV part.

·
Registered
266 Posts
As of this purchase (well, also for two years of dithering, I mean researching, lol!), I wanted an EV or hybrid.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I drive my I-Pace I feel as though I am experiencing the future of automobile driving. Now that future may be 25-30 years away and I will most likely not be around to see it. I have been a devoted Jaguar fan since my teens, but I never considered owning an E-Pace (the closest comparable ICE car in the Jaguar line up).

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NO. I would not take the gasoline engine. For what benefit?
It more of an exercise to see how much the EV drive train influenced the purchase of the car.
I personally love the looks, interior of the car and would purchase one for an SUV, even if it was ICE.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The car would not drive the same with ICE. You would not get the looks or interior space with the ICE. I-Pace is only possible as electric.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It’s a great question, for me the answer is even more global. I now find it very hard to seriously consider any car that is not an EV. I have looked at a few cars lately that interested me, and at the end, passed on them. The only reason was their were ICE vehicles. And even though some were very unique I still tilted away from them.

So my answer would be no, but then again it is no all around.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If the car were somehow identical, but with an ICE, the answer would be no. No towing hitch (at least in North America) would have been a deal breaker for me. I had a Lexus 450h before and would have stayed with that had they even had come up with a plug-in version.

I am very happy with the i-Pace mind you, so I am happy with the decision so far. Glad I kept the Lexus long enough for it to come out. I almost went with the new Bayan (plug in hybrid) but decided to wait and am happy I did.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I keep screaming (in emails) to Jaguar to STOP advertising the I-Pace as "It's a Jaguar - and you should have one!" and start claiming what it is - the BEST luxury EV available. It should be eating a lot of Tesla's lunch for people who like cars more than their cell phones.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I keep screaming (in emails) to Jaguar to STOP advertising the I-Pace as "It's a Jaguar - and you should have one!" and start claiming what it is - the BEST luxury EV available. It should be eating a lot of Tesla's lunch for people who like cars more than their cell phones.
I was stopped at a red light, and a lady walked over to the passenger window and motioned for me to roll down the window to talk.

She said she was a Tesla owner, and was considering the I-Pace, so what did I think about it? She said she had already decided to go take a test drive, and just wanted a preview.

So I described why I liked it, while she gave the interior a look over. She said, 'gosh, this is niiiice! A lot nicer than my Tesla!'

Well, sure. :grin2:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Would you have bought that apple you bought if it were a watermelon instead? Um, what? I suppose if the car had the same instant acceleration, low CG, and ample space of an EV and was ICE, I'd consider it; if it was exactly the same except took gas. However, that's impossible. The ICE equivalent is the E-Pace, and I'd never buy one of those. Now a LR Discovery Sport with 7 seats, maybe. The closest ICE in performance and size is a Macan, and they're overpriced and underperforming compared to the I-Pace.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was stopped at a red light, and a lady walked over to the passenger window and motioned for me to roll down the window to talk.

She said she was a Tesla owner, and was considering the I-Pace, so what did I think about it? She said she had already decided to go take a test drive, and just wanted a preview.

So I described why I liked it, while she gave the interior a look over. She said, 'gosh, this is niiiice! A lot nicer than my Tesla!'

Well, sure. :grin2:
Me too. I was at a public charger and a Tesla driver who was there asked me about my new I-Pace. Told him I had Teslas the last 6 years and the differences, both good and bad, between those and the I-Pace. Other people have asked me about the I-Pace in parking lots. Seems people are interested when they see it. :smile2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts