·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O
M
G

I did not think our cats could growl this loud. I have never heard the I-Pace or any car know to mankind scream this loud with fans running during our awful California heatwave & I have never seen range drop so fast! It is 115F right now, but it could be worse....Palm Springs is almost at 123F! We are expected to have about 105F for the next week,
after today :-O

·
Registered
2020 HSE Fujy
10 Posts
This is how we found ours in a mall parking lot. My wife is like “where did you park it exactly?“ and me like “doesn’t matter, love, just follow the sound “. We just had climate turned few minutes before. Inside the cat was nice and chill :)

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Btw, when I took this pic (see above) the range was 69 miles. When I got home (1.5 miles) later....range was at 53 miles :-O I have never, never seen a drop like this in any EV we have owned or own. But, I have not seen 115F since 2006!!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
O
M
G

I did not think our cats could growl this loud. I have never heard the I-Pace or any car know to mankind scream this loud with fans running during our awful California heatwave & I have never seen range drop so fast! It is 115F right now, but it could be worse....Palm Springs is almost at 123F! We are expected to have about 105F for the next week,
after today :-O View attachment 4425
Oh c’mon Deutsch, we all know the car temperature readings are generally about 2 degrees high. So in reality you’re probably at a chilly 113! ;)

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh c’mon Deutsch, we all know the car temperature readings are generally about 2 degrees high. So in reality you’re probably at a chilly 113! ;)
LOL. We have not had these temps since 2006.

In extreme temps, cold or hot, has anyone ever seen a 16 mile drop in range, driving just 1.5 miles like I had today?! I was shocked!!!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife is like “where did you park it exactly?“ and me like “doesn’t matter, love, just follow the sound “
Ha ha ha. I activated climate about 10-12 mins before I left work this morning (it was "only" 109F then). I kid you not...I could hear the I-Pace across a parking lot and semi-busy street :-O

·
Registered
2020 HSE Fujy
10 Posts
Ha ha ha. I activated climate about 10-12 mins before I left work this morning (it was "only" 109F then). I kid you not...I could hear the I-Pace across a parking lot and semi-busy street :-O
115F is when I take my steak off grill for rare. I bet those brits didn’t see their precious cats used as a cooking appliance. Otherwise their marketing would be all over this.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
458 Posts
115F is when I take my steak off grill for rare. I bet those brits didn’t see their precious cats used as a cooking appliance. Otherwise their marketing would be all over this.
Perhaps open up the frunk and prepare dinner over some imitation coals. Haven't found anything else to use it for.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps open up the frunk and prepare dinner over some imitation coals. Haven't found anything else to use it for.
The Frunk is THE BEST place to keep fast food (or any food pickup). It stays warm there and zero smell in the car :) Obsessed with the Frunk :)

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
That is freaking brilliant! We're going over to friends this evening and will pick up food on the way. That's where it's going! Thanks for the tip! 🍺

·
Registered
97 Posts
You need a Mustang Mach e to cool beer.

There is a video of it somewhere.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL. We have not had these temps since 2006.

In extreme temps, cold or hot, has anyone ever seen a 16 mile drop in range, driving just 1.5 miles like I had today?! I was shocked!!!
I just took drove home my new 2019 I-Pace on August 10th, 2020. The dealer was willing to give me a good deal on their last 2019😀. So, I'm fresh from hearing the sales schpiel about range.

The way the salesguy explained range to me was something like "Imagine you're hiking, and you have enough energy to walk 20 miles. Then you pick up a heavy backpack, and wearing that backpack, you only have enough energy to walk 10 miles. Picking up the backpack doesn't take the energy of walking 10 miles, it's the idea that you'll be carrying it which reduces your range."

I think that's what's going on with the guess-o-meter. The car thought it could drive 69 miles in 100 degree heat, but then decided it could only drive 53 miles in 115 degree heat. The drive didn't take 16 miles off the range, the assumption about how hard the cooling system would have to work for the next 50+ miles is what cost the range.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just took drove home my new 2019 I-Pace on August 10th, 2020. The dealer was willing to give me a good deal on their last 2019😀. So, I'm fresh from hearing the sales schpiel about range.

The way the salesguy explained range to me was something like "Imagine you're hiking, and you have enough energy to walk 20 miles. Then you pick up a heavy backpack, and wearing that backpack, you only have enough energy to walk 10 miles. Picking up the backpack doesn't take the energy of walking 10 miles, it's the idea that you'll be carrying it which reduces your range."

I think that's what's going on with the guess-o-meter. The car thought it could drive 69 miles in 100 degree heat, but then decided it could only drive 53 miles in 115 degree heat. The drive didn't take 16 miles off the range, the assumption about how hard the cooling system would have to work for the next 50+ miles is what cost the range.
Thanks Dave. That is a good analogy! Welcome to the I-Pace. It is the most amazing, fascinating, frustrating, rewarding, punishing and magical car (it is very much like kids & marriage, LOL).

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
51 Posts

It’s not the heat it’s the driving patterns. Unless temps are going from one extreme to another on a daily basis, it is driving style. The car is adjusting because it thought you were going to do more freeway miles or less. Once it thinks you are doing something different it’ll adjust up or down. This is the only reason along with very cold temps and use of power like AC etc that the car adjusts range. I’m in hot enough heat to fry eggs every day, not some breezy west coast heat (no offense) and the heat has no baring on a car with a good battery

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Palm Springs (Palm Desert actaully) and it really is 118 outside! This car has the loudest fans of any car I've ever owned or even driven.

And the previous post is correct. The heat isn't sapping my power, its the AC. That thing is on full blast most of the time combined with remote starting it to bring the cabin temp down kills the GOM range.

And I'm still loving it. 3 months and about 3000 miles including trips back and forth to the beaches on the weekends and I'm very happy with my purchase so far. The roof rails with cargo box has really worked well for those beach trips with the family.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
51 Posts
I stand corrected on the temps. I just looked at Palm Springs and it is 111 😲

We haven’t been dealing with that here. Just a steady and cool even 100 everyday. Wow I feel for you guys in California

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I stand corrected on the temps. I just looked at Palm Springs and it is 111 😲

We haven’t been dealing with that here. Just a steady and cool even 100 everyday. Wow I feel for you guys in California
Thanks Waco. Since Saturday 8/15 our temps have ranged from 105-115F (Palm Springs hit 122F and Death Valley, CA hit 130F....yes a NOAA confirmed 130F :eek:

Even last night at 10pm it was 90F and by Noon we were near 110-112F here. Southern California has always had hot summers, but the last 10 years...it has gotten MUCH worse here!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts