Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to take the longest trip I have made in the I-Pace tomorrow. Driving 95 miles each way to purchase a Nissan LEAF for my company. We are developing the technology to rebuild BEV batteries and the 2011 - 2012 LEAF is the first one we are looking at. So tomorrow I have to drive down to Ft Walton Beach, FL and buy the car and have it shipped up to our facility in Dearborn, MI. They will re-manufacture the battery and then test it for a few months before selling it. So I will have to drive 190 miles with over 100 highway miles in the southern Alabama - Northern Florida heat. I am hoping to make it all the way without having to stop and recharge. I am charging to 100% tonight and will pre-condition the battery and car in the morning.

Cross fingers and hope for tail winds both ways.... I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
What a great reason for the trip! Very cool.

I would advise to have a contingency plan: stop for 20 min half way on your way back at a fast charger. I would imagine there is one on the way?
I learned early on that I much prefer to drive it like I stole it and just spend a few extra minutes at a fast charger ... to recharge both me and my Kitty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a great reason for the trip! Very cool.

I would advise to have a contingency plan: stop for 20 min half way on your way back at a fast charger. I would imagine there is one on the way?
I learned early on that I much prefer to drive it like I stole it and just spend a few extra minutes at a fast charger ... to recharge both me and my Kitty.
Yeah I will plot a few options out just in case. Pensacola is the most likely spot. Hope I can find one near a restaurant for lunch. We will see. Really want to try and make it all the way on one charge.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
445 Posts
Good luck. I remember doing a Tuscaloosa to Pensacola run many years ago. Not much out those ways. Can't imagine there are many, if any, L3 chargers out there - maybe in the pan handle?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck. I remember doing a Tuscaloosa to Pensacola run many years ago. Not much out those ways. Can't imagine there are many, if any, L3 chargers out there - maybe in the pan handle?
Yeah I can imagine Tuscaloosa to the Mobile area being pretty charger barren. I am hoping from Pensacola to Ft. Walton area will have more. Worst case I know there are charges at the Pensacola airport. But I am sure there will be others. I just can't leave Pensacola until I am sure I can make it all the way back. From there to Spanish Fort there is nothing.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
813 Posts
Given the flatness of the journey, if you stay within posted speed limits, you should not have any problems doing the trip without a charging stop. This is based on my experiences on long distance drives (posted elsewhere) that included interstate stretches nearly as long as your whole round trip in temps up into the high 90s. You should expect the final SOC to be between 10 and 20%.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given the flatness of the journey, if you stay within posted speed limits, you should not have any problems doing the trip without a charging stop. This is based on my experiences on long distance drives (posted elsewhere) that included interstate stretches nearly as long as your whole round trip in temps up into the high 90s. You should expect the final SOC to be between 10 and 20%.
You are kidding, right? Posted speed limits for most of the highway miles are 70 and I usually drive about 84. I guess I could try cruise control at 76 or so. Probably end up saving me time in the long run as I imagine 84 would chew through some electrons pretty quickly. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
445 Posts
With in-laws in the New Orleans area, I've looked at driving down, but there is a big hole in the charging network south of TN.
My guess is you'll be OK with a 95 mile trip. Wouldn't fancy 150 or so at highway speed.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
82 Posts
It looks like there are plenty of options, including Level 3 chargers in Pensacola.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I just have to make the call before I get through Pensacola because there is nothing for the next 40 miles or so. I have PlugShare in addition to what the car can find so I am sure I will be fine. Full charge this morning. I'll post when I am done.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
82 Posts
I've made that drive before, and you're right about the fact that you're in no man's land once you leave Pensacola and start heading east. Good luck with the drive!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I made it...at least back to the office. Now I have a 9.8 mile trip home and I am showing 31 miles of range left and 14% charge remaining. On the way back I put it in Eco mode and kept the speed under 75 for the most part. Still had the air on all the way. It was a very comfortable drive and I was very impressed with the comfort of the seats and the vehicle as a whole. Great car!!

By the way, the range on the Leaf with a full charge was about 30 miles. Battery is in poor health which is perfect for our needs. Bought it for $5,000, pretty nice car for that assuming we can reman the battery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you give it a charge along the way and if so, how much did you top off the battery?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
813 Posts
"You should expect the final SOC to be between 10 and 20%."

I told you so. :p:D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
445 Posts
Not bad for highway driving and heavy AC. Now it's time for a longer trip. Perhaps you can follow that Leaf up to Michigan.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"You should expect the final SOC to be between 10 and 20%."

I told you so. :p:D

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Good call Ayepace. By the time I got home it was 9% so still ok. Feeding the kitty now, still pretty hungry...but it was a great trip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts