Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
1,095 Posts
So can someone in the know please summarize the current status of this recall? Reading this thread is a bit confusing.
I took my I-Pace in for an unrelated problem about a month ago and there was no mention of a recall pending at that time.
It’s only for certain vehicles in a particular VIN range. Your vehicle may not be in that range so the dealer did not mention anything.

· Registered
37 Posts
I started to get an warning message stating "Reduced Brake Pedal Feel" (or something like that), then I got a message saying that Traction Control wasn't working. I called Jaguar was told to bring the car in ASAP and that there was a recall related to this issue. I drove the car to Jaguar and when I parked the car the brake pedal felt very strange. The person who moved the car also commented on it. I was told that the wiring harness needed to be replaced and that they were hoping to have the car back to me within 48 hours. Location, Calgary Alberta.

· Registered
238 Posts
I started to get an warning message stating "Reduced Brake Pedal Feel" (or something like that), then I got a message saying that Traction Control wasn't working. I called Jaguar was told to bring the car in ASAP and that there was a recall related to this issue. I drove the car to Jaguar and when I parked the car the brake pedal felt very strange. The person who moved the car also commented on it. I was told that the wiring harness needed to be replaced and that they were hoping to have the car back to me within 48 hours. Location, Calgary Alberta.
Good luck with that!

I was told 3-5 business days which turned into 7 business days and there was little waiting about for parts to come in... I am in Canada too! The work order says its a 15 hour job which requires de-powering the battery, removing front wheels, dropping the front powertrain, etc etc etc. it is very fiddly work that can apparently only be done by the master techs, or those with specific ipace training, whatever that means. They kept my car for two extra days after everything was done because something still wasn't right..... then it was.

I have also found the service representatives - the desk people you deal with - actually know very little about these things and will respectfully feed you lines based on nothing. ie. One dude tried to feed me some bull-crap about the "carbon fibre wheels" needing special people to work on them, which was the reason why the rim repair to fix pre-delivery curbing was delayed. The last lady I dealt with was kind enough to flat out tell me she had no idea how the car works and that they would have to "check and verify" the issue - this is because I went in knowing more or less what was wrong with the car and telling them what I suspected.

I would say count your blessings if they can get the part in quickly and prepare yourself for at least a week if there isnt already another car in front of yours awaiting the same repair.

good luck!

· Registered
37 Posts
Good luck with that!

I was told 3-5 business days which turned into 7 business days and there was little waiting about for parts to come in... I am in Canada too! The work order says its a 15 hour job which requires de-powering the battery, removing front wheels, dropping the front powertrain, etc etc etc. it is very fiddly work that can apparently only be done by the master techs, or those with specific ipace training, whatever that means. They kept my car for two extra days after everything was done because something still wasn't right..... then it was.

I have also found the service representatives - the desk people you deal with - actually know very little about these things and will respectfully feed you lines based on nothing. ie. One dude tried to feed me some bull-crap about the "carbon fibre wheels" needing special people to work on them, which was the reason why the rim repair to fix pre-delivery curbing was delayed. The last lady I dealt with was kind enough to flat out tell me she had no idea how the car works and that they would have to "check and verify" the issue - this is because I went in knowing more or less what was wrong with the car and telling them what I suspected.

I would say count your blessings if they can get the part in quickly and prepare yourself for at least a week if there isnt already another car in front of yours awaiting the same repair.

good luck!
I wanted to provide an update on this issue.
I dropped my car off at the dealership around noon on Monday Dec 5th. The parts arrived on the 6th and they started working on the car on the 7th (today). The expect to have the vehicle back to me by the end of day tomorrow.

More important is the fact that when they went to move my car it was an EV brick. I was told that the issue with the wiring harness is causing more problems than expected.

Long story short, if your car starts giving you strange warning messages call you dealer.

· Registered
238 Posts
holy cow amazing, good for you and I mean it. I would say this is the stuff we like to hear about. often we hear only of the griping, whining and the complaining. I'm very impressed.

I'm pretty happy with my service experience and the timing of my whole thing. I hope that wasn't misconstrued. I had been reading horror stories of other owners and I got worried.

· Registered
519 Posts
I dropped my car off at the dealership around noon on Monday Dec 5th. The parts arrived on the 6th and they started working on the car on the 7th (today). The expect to have the vehicle back to me by the end of day tomorrow.
It has been (much)more than 48 hrs since you dropped your car off. I feel whoever told you 48hrs, had not replaced an I-Pace wiring harness before.

· Registered
37 Posts
It has been (much)more than 48 hrs since you dropped your car off. I feel whoever told you 48hrs, had not replaced an I-Pace wiring harness before.
I wanted to provide a quick update on the status of my car.

Jaguar called me today to let me know that the repair was completed and the car was being washed and charged while they waited for me to pick it up.

With respect to the comment above, The car was in the care of Jaguar a bit longer than expected. However my service rep called me every day to keep me up to date on the status of the repair. The actual repair started on Wednesday and was done by 3:00 PM on Thursday. Overall I give my service department 5 stars for my experience with them on this repair.

I hope others can have the same sort of experience with their service departments.

· Registered
2019 I-Pace SE
64 Posts
Yesterday I got the 'Gearbox Fault Detected' warning message. Flashed on a few times and also heard the grinding sound on one occasion. Felt like it was driving fine.Roads are slick and covered with snow and ice, but driving was fine.
Called the local Jaguar shop and got the next appointment - January 17th, 2023. 😕The person answering the phone said if the car drives, then driving it is OK. Sounds iffy to me.
This is the only Jaguar dealer for miles, so fingers crossed.

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just to give some conclusion to this. Finally got the car in last week to have the wiring harness replaced. It took a while to get it in as a jack that supports the traction battery was malfunctioning and I think my dealer forgot to rebook me until I called back. It took almost 7 working days to finish the repair. They found that the right side engine mount had "seized to stud" and had to be replaced. Also noted a washer fluid leak from right side head light washer jet which was also replaced while the bumper was off.

Unfortunately the left side steering switch pack is now not working (no lights and buttons non functional) and a different wiring harness in the steering wheel needs to be replaced which I'll get done in January. They noted this today after getting the car back together. Parts on order. This all started with the right side steering switch pack not working which lead to an error code which I guess triggered the wiring harness / parking lock actuator recall. The recall is listed as recall H406 on my invoice. The service advisor said wiring harness was actually in good shape - not surprising as I generally don't accelerate very hard which causes the stretch on the harness to begin with.

The dealer originally said they would replace both 12V batteries but I don't see this on the invoice and will ask them later. Car seems to be working OK for now - have only driven it 3 km so far since the repair. Mine is the 3rd one they've done so far so the technician is getting more experienced with this.

· Registered
519 Posts
After 11 weeks, the Jaguar dealership just informed me that my FRONT COMPARTMENT WIRING HARNESS needs to be replaced as well as PARK LOCK ACTUATOR. They said it will be $11,000. I am not under warranty any longer. Any suggestions?
I would think my next step would be to find a trustful mechanic and give him the directions for repairing/replacing the wiring harness and see if you can up with another price. Sometimes all the electronic gizmos can wait until the end of the work, if they are required at all. You may want to find some of the pictures on this web site of the cars that had their front ends removed for this modification.

Attachments

· Registered
2019 I-Pace SE
64 Posts
Car towed to Jaguar Reno. Stopped working when I arrived at a local restaurant. One week before scheduled appointment so I may not hear anything till then. No loaner cars available. Waiting game begins.

· Registered
263 Posts
Called Jaguar about wiring harness recall and was told it does not apply to my car but here is what happen then.

My FE's small battery was replaced 11 months ago but it went bad again about 2 weeks ago (measure at 5.4v then and now at 2.8v). After sitting more than 10 days at the local dealer's parking lot without a loaner, I was told that the wiring harness was the root of the problem and it is a 12 hours job to replace it according to Jaguar. Hower, my local dearler cannot do it as it requires two techs to do that and they have only one. Luckly, I have kept another appointment made two weeks at another dearler 85 miles away on Feb. 1 (with a loaner). The problem is that Jaguar won't cover towing from dearler to dearler (will cost more than $600). Told it would be ok if I get the car to, say, home then tow. I had over 100 miles when dropped at the local dealer but was down to 17 miles yeaterday just sitting there (not normal). The local derlar was able to jump and move the car close to one of their level 2 chargers. After an overnoght changing, it was at 100%, 82.5kwh, and 242 miles. The dealer told me I should be able to drive it to home. Have to jump it and back out the parking lot. Then heard some noise when applying the break and car won't move any more (can change gears). Dealer helped to push the car to a gas station next door. Called Jaguar roadside service again and this time the towing was arranged and the car is now at the other dealer after 5 hours. Now the waiting starts but at least I will have a loaner by Feb1 if needed.

Long story short, if your 12v batteries did not last as you think they should (I saw a few of you had them replaced more than once in the past year), you may want to see if this wiring harness could be a problem. If it happens after the warrnaty, that could be a serious problem (if Jaguar does not issue a gerenal recall).

· Registered
263 Posts
Did you really have to push the car to the gas station next door for Jaguar to cover the tow? Lol.
Yes, the roadside service advisor and her supervisor admit this is not my problem but they cannot overwrite the rule. The Jaguar did order an Uber to take me home (even if I would ride with the tow truck to the other dealer 85 miles away). The dealer service manager rounded up 5 guys plus 1 girl and together we did it. LOL, too

21 - 40 of 43 Posts