Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Rod, I’m waiting for the wireless CarPlay adapter which is in the final phase of testing for our cars. I’m not high on these wireless chargers because the charge rate is generally so slow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rod, I’m waiting for the wireless CarPlay adapter which is in the final phase of testing for our cars. I’m not high on these wireless chargers because the charge rate is generally so slow.
You are right - but they top up the phone and in the event you are playing audio or telephoning extensively it ensures you're leaving the car with more charge in the phone than when you got in! I refuse to use something you have to plug in; lazy and feel that is a ridiculous requirement in this day and age. Off course (OT) the iPace's user systems are just woefully underpowered and a plugged in phone can give you some things that are more responsive. But having the navigation confined to the middle screen and not integrated with the car - as with Android Auto - is also a travesty (if a somewhat more responsive on).

Will be interested in what a wireless CarPlay can offer in terms of performance and ergonomics. But Jaguar would have to integrate such a thing deeply in the current systems for it to appeal - even were I an Apple user...

I will be interested to see if other products appear and if Jaguar lifts its game. It is not just the iPace that suffers at the moment - it is all the current generation of Jag products using this limpid platform. But once it's booted up it's functional. Other European manufacturers do a better job and in my experience, when they're on their game, produce cars that are outstanding in quality and performance and meet my personal needs and preferences better than others... (The Tesla's UI approach and fit-and-finish both turned me off at car selection time...)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yeah, I too hate dangling wires, it so detracts from the nice aesthetics for me. Of course the slow charge rate is endemic to almost all in-car wireless chargers I’m aware of, whether they’re built into the car or accessories you add on. Faster wireless charging certainly exists at home, so I can’t see why they can’t do it in a car. I can’t imagine the drain on the battery can be that bad, but who knows?

You’re right about CaPlay being restricted to the middle screen, but I have no issues with the onboard navigation. I’ve tested it on several occasions and it seems to route well and the maps are very clear. I love the ability to go with a full-screen map right in front of you. My only issue is the voice recognition. That’s pretty bad. So generally I’d either send directions to the car from the app or type in a destination in the search bar, which works very well.

The voice recognition in the Tesla I traded worked great at the beginning until Tesla broke it in a software update. After that it worked only a little better than the I-Pace. I’m hoping Jaguar does the reverse and improves voice recognition in a software update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My old wireless base was a bit manky and stuck out a bit when phone not in place. So found a very small fast charger on Aliexpress and rebuilt the design to suit. Works perfectly... Files at Thingiverse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts