Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or tried this wireless CarPlay dongle? It doesn’t list any JLR vehicles but it seems like their website implies it might work on cars beyond those they list as compatible.

https://carplay2air.com/

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case anyone else cares: I emailed the company and they replied that they’re currently testing the adapter with JLR infotainment systems and hope to officially support them soon.

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
220 Posts
I guess you're the pioneer on this one. Please let us know when you hear back from them. Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Once they announce support we should do a group buy. Anybody on other Jag forums?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Once they announce support we should do a group buy. Anybody on other Jag forums?
The group buy only works if you have multiple suppliers, so one supplier can offer a better deal to win, but with only one supplier, what would be the incentive for the supplier here ?

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
29 Posts
The website now says that Jaguar (all models 2017-2020) is supported. Also Land Rover. Time for a brave pioneer to try it. ;-)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Two of us are, one begin me. ;)

Another poster tried an older unit with the newest firmware and reported that it did indeed work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like I said before, it works like the car should have done from the factory, connects in seconds and can support multiple phones.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I looked at the website and didn't see this addressed in the FAQs ... it appears that the device creates its own WiFi network and the phone joins with that. I currently use the 4G connection on the car's WiFi. Since my phone can't connect to more than one WiFi at a time, I'm wondering if this product can use the car's 4G or if the in-car 4G connection is unusable while on Air Play.

Just to clarify, I occasionally drive through cell tower dead zones where the car's antennae can pull a signal, but my phone won't.

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
29 Posts
I looked at the website and didn't see this addressed in the FAQs ... it appears that the device creates its own WiFi network and the phone joins with that. I currently use the 4G connection on the car's WiFi. Since my phone can't connect to more than one WiFi at a time, I'm wondering if this product can use the car's 4G or if the in-car 4G connection is unusable while on Air Play.

Just to clarify, I occasionally drive through cell tower dead zones where the car's antennae can pull a signal, but my phone won't.
I installed mine. It works well. I am often lazy to plug in my phone to get car play and then I regret it when I want to send or listen to a text, or navigate handsfree, or change music handsfree.. When I do plug in my phone, then I forget and leave it in the car (pitiful, right?). Anyway, this solves all that. I just leave the phone in my pocket, turn on the car and I have Apple Car Play.

I can confirm that it does indeed use a non-data Wifi connection between the dongle and the iPhone to provide the rapid information transfer required (bluetooth wouldn't cut it, I'm sure). This leaves the phone free to use data over cellular (LTE, eg.), however, the phone can't use Wifi to attach to the car's hotspot since the phone's Wifi is already in use. I don't do that myself and don't plan to renew the ATT coverage on the phone when the free plan expires, but I can see the value if one has a different cell phone provider with coverage inferior to ATT.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
This is all normal for wireless CarPlay and not limited to the dongle. I also got one and it works well enough, when it connects. The nice part is I no longer need to put my phone in the center console or have a cable dialing, I can plug into one of the charging ports in the center cutout console.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts