Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Winter tires

15K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Dennis C 
#1 ·
No manufacturer produces 22 inch winter tires for the I-Pace? Yet? The only 255/40R22 I find are summer tires? :confused:

Still I saw an I-Pace with 22 inch wheels on the winter test at the end of a YouTube-video. Does it have summer tires or prototype winter tires?

#3 ·
Its usually better to downsize your rims/tires for your winter setup as they perform better in the snow. A smaller and narrower tire has better grip and performance in snow or ice. This is both because the smaller tire cuts through snow more effectively and because the weight of the car is focused on a smaller contact area.

#7 ·
I agree with this, but still I wonder what kind of tire they used on the 22 inch rims. Which 20 inch rims and offset will fit on the I-Pace? Same as will fit on F-Pace and XF? I guess you don't have to buy original rims? My dealer said nothing about this.

#10 ·
18" wheels come on the base model, and appear to be the same on the F-pace. You should be able to find some 'take-offs' or aftermarket wheels cheap. 18" gives you better traction, especially if narrower.

#12 ·
I'd be worried about potholes and flats with 22" snow tires. I'd rather have lots of tire in roads that ice over every year. That's just me. Flats are no fun in the snow.

#14 ·
I don't want to start a discussion since I know there are many different opinions on this matter, but I don't see why 22" should get more flats than 18". Also there are split opinions on whether broader or narrower is best on different winter conditions. On snowy roads I think narrow is better, but you also have to remeber that this is a heavy car so the tires will get pushed hard through the snow. When breaking more surface equals better grip as long as you have good tires. And the width difference isn't that massive?

#15 ·
22" wheels give tires less room to deform before hitting metal, damaging the rim on bigger impacts and increasing chances of a flat. They're not all quick flats, but wheel damage is far more likely. We're getting 20s with the FE, but I'd prefer 18s for normal driving, even in a canyon. A race track is a different story.

Reactions: TeslaOwner
#17 ·
I used that exact tire on our Cayenne when we lived in the midwest. It worked well as an all-season tire, even in winter conditions. When we moved to Colorado, it wasn't adequate. It just didn't give enough traction in winter conditions in the mountains. Overall a very good all-season tire though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.