Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I’ve been hearing a weird “flapping” sound from the bottom of my windshield area for a while. Now I hear it from the top of my windshield also. When I’m driving fast and push up on the windshield I can hear a small amount of air entering but I have no water leaks, don’t feel any air rushing into the cabin and this only happens at speeds I can’t ask my local dealer to drive. Does anyone know if the I-Pace has glue or weather stripping as a windshield seal and if one of those failing could explain the noise. I had thought it was the wipers or something in the frunk but now I think the windshield seal is in trouble and I’m trying to verify it and figure out how best to get it fixed. Any ideas? Has anyone ever had any windshield seal issues on any of their cars?

· Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey, I’ve been hearing a weird “flapping” sound from the bottom of my windshield area for a while. Now I hear it from the top of my windshield also. When I’m driving fast and push up on the windshield I can hear a small amount of air entering but I have no water leaks, don’t feel any air rushing into the cabin and this only happens at speeds I can’t ask my local dealer to drive. Does anyone know if the I-Pace has glue or weather stripping as a windshield seal and if one of those failing could explain the noise. I had thought it was the wipers or something in the frunk but now I think the windshield seal is in trouble and I’m trying to verify it and figure out how best to get it fixed. Any ideas? Has anyone ever had any windshield seal issues on any of their cars?
IMG_1722

· Registered
1,095 Posts
What you’re describing sounds like a windshield leak to me. Iirc some early I paces had windshield figment issues. I would let the dealer know. I covered my seal up with some clear tape and that fixed it until I got it to the dealer.

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,427 Posts
It could be a sealing issue. The windshield is fitted to the car with adhesive as most cars are these days. It has to do with letting the windshield dislodge and potentially fly away taking energy from a crash with it. It is also free to break away instead of being a rigid fixed-in-place object in case a head hits it during an accident. The sealing method is also easier and less expensive when it comes to assembly.

Several have reported sealing issues when they discovered water in the footwell(s) and wet carpet. This happened on cars where the sealing had failed higher up. Your description is a sealing failure towards the bottom where water may not be getting into the car.

This will be fixed under warranty if the car is still under 60K miles. It will probably require the windshield to be replaced, not just removed, cleaned and installed with new resealant.

· Registered
188 Posts
Frank, your windscreen air leak diagnosis may be correct and a likely a warranty fix

I can recall a similar discussion on flapping buzz sounds from the front of the I-Pace at high speeds. The front storage bin (frunk) has a trim panel that fits into the front grill air duct. If the bin has been removed and incorrectly reinstalled with this trim panel placed above the grill, the flexible rubber leading edge can lift and flap against the grill at high speeds.

This is easy for you to check, if you slide your hand into the duct you should be able to feel the upper rear edge of the grill and feel the flexible trim panel below it if the fitment is correct.

This happened to my car after some under hood checks by the service dept, I checked and noticed the trim panel above the grill and they quickly fixed it while I had a coffee.

Cheers, Steve

· Administrator
3,306 Posts
You can check it yourself by standing in the open door, reaching into the cabin with your hand, and pressing against the windshield from the inside while looking at it from the outside. If it lifts off, or even budges just slightly, it's not properly sealed. Do this on both sides of the car.

· Registered
31 Posts
Two ways to help to try and isolate the issue. Easiest way is to get painters masking tape and tape the exterior seam of the windshield and test drive. If noise is gone, then you have isolated it to the windshield area/sealing. A more technical way is to use soapy water and spray the seal around the windshield. Then take compressed air and blow air around the inside of the windshield seam and see if bubbles show up. Sometimes you can turn the hvac system on highest speed and shut all windows and doors. Should be enough cabin pressure to have bubbles. But I personally like to use an air hose and nozzle to direct air around inside of the windshield.

· Registered
3 Posts
Last week, the alarm on my I-pace started twice without any obvious reason. I drove a short trip and noticed the headliner on the right side of the rear-mirror console was soaking wet and I guess possible water drops could be the reason for the triggered alarm.

The weather the previous days have been alternating around 0C degrees. Could it "just be" condensation of water on the metal roof (the car does not have panoramic roof), or is it the start of a leaking windshield adhesive :-(

Did anyone have success with testing the adhesive using compressed air and soapy water? - I can see the headliner has a quite good fit towards the windshield.

Kind regards
Torben

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Last week, the alarm on my I-pace started twice without any obvious reason. I drove a short trip and noticed the headliner on the right side of the rear-mirror console was soaking wet and I guess possible water drops could be the reason for the triggered alarm.

The weather the previous days have been alternating around 0C degrees. Could it "just be" condensation of water on the metal roof (the car does not have panoramic roof), or is it the start of a leaking windshield adhesive :-(

Did anyone have success with testing the adhesive using compressed air and soapy water? - I can see the headliner has a quite good fit towards the windshield.

Kind regards
Torben
If you have water in your headliner it’s getting there from somewhere! It’s doesn’t have to be the windshield but that’s the most common place.

Do you hear a whistling sound at speed? Sometimes that can help you localize the leak.

You could also just visual inspect the edges of the windshield and see.

Even with the low temps I wouldn’t expect the seal to fail. If they failed then the windshield might need to be re-fitted.

· Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update
8 months ago my traction battery was dropped to fix a heat issue. When I got the car back from the dealer I noticed some of the carpeting wasn't fitting in the trim, other minor interior scuff AND a small crack in the trim around the front storage bin. Nothing worth complaining to them about. I was and am still happy they successfully completed a major repair that they probably hadn't done before. I barely drive this car so I don't get on the highway much and I'm not much of a speeder so it took me a while to notice the flapping sound I mentioned. I also didn't want to bother the busy people on the board with what seemed like an easy problem to diagnose--just figure out what is loose in the frunk. Everything looked good so occasionally I would tape down random things and do a little speeding to see if I had pinpointed the problem. No luck. Then I drove on a highway where everyone was going excessively fast. I also took a few highway trips during VERY windy days. During those trips the frunk flapping sound became so fast and loud that that the steering wheel was vibrating and the entire windshield seemed like it was rattling. I also heard bursts of air around the windshield so I convinced myself there was some rubber gasket or patch of glue somewhere around the windshield that was loose. I didn't bring it to the dealer because everything in and around the windshield/frunk/air vent seemed as it should and the occasional video I made didn't come out too well. In short, I didn't expect them know what the issue was from my description or to be able to replicate the problem from a normal drive. Thinking this could eventually become a safety concern for another driver on the road or myself I finally started this thread.

I wrote all that to explain why I worded the original post the way I did. I also wanted to really thank everyone who responded and to apologize for steering you guys in the direction of a windshield issue that didn't exist. I certainly learned a few obvious lessons from this and can't help feeling kinda... what's the opposite of smart? But maybe this post will help someone with a similar problem in the future.

Oh, and if you haven't figured it out... LOBSTER WAS RIGHT! (I think) The car is currently at the dealer for this and other issues I so can't definitively say it's fixed but 2hrs before I dropped the car off yesterday Lobsters post finally made me take took a closer look inside the front grill air duct and well... he knows what I saw. "If the bin has been removed and incorrectly reinstalled with this trim panel placed above the grill, the flexible rubber leading edge can lift and flap against the grill at high speeds. So happy I was able to show them the quick fix that was needed instead of sending them on a wild gooseshield chase. Thanks Lobster for nicely agreeing it could the windshield... "Frank, your windscreen air leak diagnosis may be correct and a likely a warranty fix..." even though I suspect you knew it wasn't. Cheers to you Steve, Slam, Ayepace, Sciencegeek, etc etc!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts