Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Doing another test drive at night again just to make sure.
There was a glare when there were cars headlights heading toward me, but I wasn't sure that if it was because I was paying too much attention to it.
My night vision is poor as it is, so I want to confirm it's me, not the heated windshield.

I really love the FE in everyway over a non optioned out HSE. This windshield would be the only deal breaker
I have had heated windshields in every car I have owned for the past several years and wouldn't consider buying one without it. Maybe I've just grown accustomed to it because I do not ever recall having a problem day or night.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
462 Posts
I m an eye doctor and I don’t like the visual side effects of my heated windshield of my HSE iPace. It produces lots of night time glare and reduced acuity
Day time is fine but if I knew it I would never get the heated option. I’ve not had the opportunity to use it but I can’t imagine it’s that much better than a good defroster especially when you can pre heat the interior of the car
I've had my FE for almost 3 months and can honestly say that the heated windshield has not been an issue, as far as I am concerned. The comments on this forum have described some effects that I have seen, and some I do not. I see the starry night effect, the rainbow effect of a low sun, but have not noticed a blurry effect. As was pointed out earlier focusing further down the road may be why I do not see these effects.
Although we are only now starting to get into the colder months, I can address the efficiency of the heated windshield. During early Fall I was impressed withe the rate of clearing either a frost or mist from the glass. No more waiting for the old ICE to warm up. Maybe other designs wherein heated air is blasted on the windshield would work, but the heated windshield is both quick, convenient and avoids blasting hot air around the cabin. I recognise it is a personal issue, but I would not get rid of the heated windshield.
Has anybody from the colder climates driven in heavy falling snow? I assume the heated windshield helps with snow build up on the wipers?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I suggest people who are having trouble seeing through the windshield try raising their seats. I leaned back while parked in the evening, and oncoming cars made more of a glare lower on the windshield.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I also have the heated windshield on my LR4. I haven't noticed any blurring or starry effects on the I-pace yet and have done enough night time driving in the city. If I looks for the lines on my LR4 I can see them but that means purposefully focusing on the windshield. I can tell you that as a defroster these systems work better than cars with just hot air blowers. It does take more time for ICE cars to get the engine heated. In an electric car the air seems to heat up faster so the benefits of the heated windshield may not be as pronounced.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The heated windshields definitely bother some more than others. For me, it was noticable on all test drives and really annoying. Luckily, I found an HSE without it (unluckily, my battery is a dud).

I can say that even with a few minutes of preconditioning the front windshields have been clear of frost and even in cold, rainy situations I haven't noticed much (any) fog without the heated windshields. Personally I don't see the reward for getting them, especially as you can spec the heated steering wheel (which I don't have and very much miss, heated steering wheels are amazing) separately.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I live in Minnesota. Heated windshields are outstanding and are amazing in the winter!
Winter is just arriving here, so I look forward to more testing...

I think part of the annoying thing about them (the distracting part) is that if it catches your eye, you eye wants to change its focus to the windshield rather than the road. This is psychophysics thing in that maybe some are wired to catch and pay attention to the distraction more than others whose brain ignores the out of focus pattern and maintains attention to the long focus stuff. Would be an interesting little research note...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm very pleased with my heated windshield - works quickly and I have no vision issues when driving at night. I do sit up as high as possible.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
Has anybody from the colder climates driven in heavy falling snow? I assume the heated windshield helps with snow build up on the wipers?
It does not help the wipers themselves.

You can park the wipers in a "winter position" (also used for changing the blades) that puts them up in the heatable area. Using the heated windshield element makes it easier to unfreeze them from the glass (so you don't have to position them pulled away from the glass while the car is parked).

It does rapidly clear a light morning dew and keep dew from condensing on the windshield as you first drive off.

It does clear a frostier coating more rapidly than without and also keeps frost from reforming on the windshield as you drive off before the interior warms up and keeps the glass warm.

It does help free up ice/frost from the windshield if it has built up to the point you need to use a scraper. Do not expect it clear these heavier frozen water conditions.

Do not expect any clearing or melting to be instantaneous. The time required to have any effect will depend on weather conditions.

If you can have the car plugged in during conditions where this will happen, I highly recommend using the app or touch panel to set a departure time, or activate the climate feature in the app, to warm up the car and windshield ahead of your driving needs. You'll find this experience to be heart warming too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
3rd Jag and all have had the heated windshield. I love it and miss it in other vehicles and wondered why it isn’t universal. Now I see why—many people find it distracting. Does it help if I mention you will get used to it and come to appreciate it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The only disadvantage other then vision is the fact you can't turn it off when pre-heating the car during the day consuming extra current when in fact since the heater is running it can just heat the windshield without using additional current. . My BMW I3 defrost the window fine with just the heater.

Would anyone have an idea how many amps the heater draws?

Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
The only disadvantage other then vision is the fact you can't turn it off when pre-heating the car during the day consuming extra current when in fact since the heater is running, it can just heat the windshield without using additional current. My BMW I3 defrost the window fine with just the heater.

Would anyone have an idea how many amps the heater draws?

Mike

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've had my FE for almost 3 months and can honestly say that the heated windshield has not been an issue, as far as I am concerned. The comments on this forum have described some effects that I have seen, and some I do not. I see the starry night effect, the rainbow effect of a low sun, but have not noticed a blurry effect. As was pointed out earlier focusing further down the road may be why I do not see these effects.
Although we are only now starting to get into the colder months, I can address the efficiency of the heated windshield. During early Fall I was impressed withe the rate of clearing either a frost or mist from the glass. No more waiting for the old ICE to warm up. Maybe other designs wherein heated air is blasted on the windshield would work, but the heated windshield is both quick, convenient and avoids blasting hot air around the cabin. I recognise it is a personal issue, but I would not get rid of the heated windshield.
Just got to drive to/from work as we got 12-14" of snow. The heated windshields are quite good. I did notice that the heated surface stops short on the sides, which is a bit of an issue. Ice easily accumulates on the lower right passenger corner and the wiper blades can accumulate ice while sitting on that pile. My Lexus did not have heated windshields, but it did have defroster lines on the part off the windshield under the blades to prevent this type of buildup.

I see the distortions a lot and it can actually be distracting when it is from oncoming headlights at particular angles on the rain. Not enough to not want the heated windshield, but I do notice it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just got to drive to/from work as we got 12-14" of snow. The heated windshields are quite good. I did notice that the heated surface stops short on the sides, which is a bit of an issue. Ice easily accumulates on the lower right passenger corner and the wiper blades can accumulate ice while sitting on that pile. My Lexus did not have heated windshields, but it did have defroster lines on the part off the windshield under the blades to prevent this type of buildup.

I see the distortions a lot and it can actually be distracting when it is from oncoming headlights at particular angles on the rain. Not enough to not want the heated windshield, but I do notice it.

I too notice the distortions and doesn't really bother me that much; just looks weird.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
681 Posts
While my I-Pace does not have this, my last 3 Range Rovers and 2 G-Classes had the heated windshields. Being totally honest, it never bothered me much, but I am happy I do not have it on my I-Pace.

In certain lighting and weather conditions, the little lines in the glass are quite noticeable and distracting, although most of the times you are so used to them, you do not even think about them.

A neighbor bought a new RR Sport about a year ago (she ordered it and basically selected every option and package). She hated the heated windshield so much and caused such a scene with the dealership and JLR....she somehow got them to replace the windshield with a non-heated one. Still not sure how she got them to do this, as her RR is leased!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
A neighbor bought a new RR Sport about a year ago (she ordered it and basically selected every option and package). She hated the heated windshield so much and caused such a scene with the dealership and JLR....she somehow got them to replace the windshield with a non-heated one. Still not sure how she got them to do this, as her RR is leased!!
After starting this thread more than a year ago, I went through that same process. Ended up trading in a 2019 FE for a 2020 HSE with all options but one (guess which?). JLR initially agreed to change out the heated windshield, but then the very day I was to to pick it up, changed their minds. Dealer was dumbfounded, too, but apparently JLR had no confidence in what that change might do to the I-Pace software.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
681 Posts
After starting this thread more than a year ago, I went through that same process. Ended up trading in a 2019 FE for a 2020 HSE with all options but one (guess which?). JLR initially agreed to change out the heated windshield, but then the very day I was to to pick it up, changed their minds. Dealer was dumbfounded, too, but apparently JLR had no confidence in what that change might do to the I-Pace software.
I think the I-Pace terrifies JLR!! LOL You know it's serious when they are worried about software and a windshield :-O

41 - 58 of 58 Posts