Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the resale value of any non-Tesla be less than that of a Tesla, not due to the cars, but due to the Super Charger network?
If I didn't own an EV, I'd be a lot more likely to buy a new or used one with a known charging network. In fact, I had really high hopes for the Jag, but I keep coming back to the Super Charging network. Of which I've used often for trips.

One of the reasons I took a risk on a car I never paid so much for in my life and unknown was the super charger network. There were only a few in my state (3 I think) back in 2015. Now there are over a dozen.

I don't think I need the network for my needs today, if I bought an iPace (We can take the wife's car for road trips). But does that mean when I go to sell the iPace, people will say "well, it doesn't have a network of a zillion charging places"...

I'm aware of non-Super Chargers. Seen 'em. Not even in the same city let alone ball park...
I like the Jag, I want more EVs, but for the love of electrons, just make them compatible w/superchargers!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Will the resale value of any non-Tesla be less than that of a Tesla, not due to the cars, but due to the Super Charger network?
If you sell it in, say, 3 years time, and if the CCS network is widely rolled out, then maybe not?

Assuming that Tesla keep on rolling out more Superchargers there will be more of them ... but partly that will because the number of Model-3s will mean there will be waits-to-charge otherwise. So provided there are "enough" CCS won't that do?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
There is nearly a universal consensus by Tesla owners that the Supercharger Network is the most valuable feature on the car. I'm not so sure.

Folk with the money to buy EVs often fly when they are traveling long distances.
There is still no such thing as Fast Charging, except when compared to slow charging. Adding 40 minutes + whatever additional time is required for routing every 150 miles of a journey is not a selling point.
Most EVs sold in the world are short range EVs.

The biggest bump in resale with EVs occur when a rebate program ends. It's nearly a 1:1 hike in the used market price. So in the US, used Teslas should start to climb on Jan 1 unless the Fed EV credit is reinstated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Folk with the money to buy EVs often fly when they are traveling long distances.
Although "long distance" in this context is somewhere between 200 an 300 miles :)

Adding 40 minutes + whatever additional time is required for routing every 150 miles of a journey is not a selling point.
That's "Road trip". Admittedly not very common here in UK :) so for me most out of range days are anything between 10 and 150 miles of top-up - e.g. on the way home to get the extra range to reach destination (arriving empty is fine of course ...) So typically I stop for 10 - 15 minutes, and by the time I've had a pee and got a coffee the car is ready.

A road-trip "drive-charge-drive-charge" ... is different of course. That's going to be a 200 mile drive following by 40 minute stop every 150 miles thereafter.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm counting on Electrify America completing their build-out on schedule - it seems the best hope for a non-Telsa owner's supercharger network. I've been watching their location map for months, and they do seem to be making significant progress.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locations
California is way behind schedule after hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars. In the US, California is the EV Capitol. But progress has been slowed by Hydrogen stations, and other non-EV projects being pushed ahead of EV support.

Our Governor wants California to be The State Of The Future, leading the way in EV progress, but all we have to show for it is very high EV sales, but little help from the State. In fact, they are adding an EV tax, raising electric costs for high kW Demand sites such as EV DCFC, and phasing out existing HOV lane access for electric cars, and adding more Toll Roads, some over $1 per mile.

He promises one thing to the press, then does whatever is best for elected officials, and blames Washington DC for it. Example? He wants Sacramento to be the EV City of the Future. Uh... Not the right choice if you want increase EV adoption or reduce emissions. San Diego, Los Angeles, or San Francisco would be the natural choices, but the politicians and bureaucrats are in Sacramento.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm counting on Electrify America completing their build-out on schedule - it seems the best hope for a non-Telsa owner's supercharger network. I've been watching their location map for months, and they do seem to be making significant progress.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locations

I gave up on the site when I couldn't zoom or move the map. Tried FireFox and Edge...
Makes me loose faith in this thing...

·
Registered
137 Posts
California is way behind schedule after hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars. In the US, California is the EV Capitol. But progress has been slowed by Hydrogen stations, and other non-EV projects being pushed ahead of EV support.

Our Governor wants California to be The State Of The Future, leading the way in EV progress, but all we have to show for it is very high EV sales, but little help from the State. In fact, they are adding an EV tax, raising electric costs for high kW Demand sites such as EV DCFC, and phasing out existing HOV lane access for electric cars, and adding more Toll Roads, some over $1 per mile.

He promises one thing to the press, then does whatever is best for elected officials, and blames Washington DC for it. Example? He wants Sacramento to be the EV City of the Future. Uh... Not the right choice if you want increase EV adoption or reduce emissions. San Diego, Los Angeles, or San Francisco would be the natural choices, but the politicians and bureaucrats are in Sacramento.
I live in San Jose, but I believe the electrify america network in California is legally mandated to be completed by the end of June 2019. I think Electrify America said the nationwide network will be completed in total by end of next year worst case scenario, though they're adding stations as they go. THEN, they start a new round of EV charging funding on July 1 2019, but AFAIK they haven't revealed those plans yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi All

Having owned a Tesla S and living 5 miles from a super charging station, I used it once! Having a commute under 50 miles I never had range anxiety! It takes a few weeks to get comfortable but then it's ok. I just got a 240 power outlet and that did the job for me. At 24 mph charge rate I was fine. Of course long trips need to be planned out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts