Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering buying a used set of 5068 20” wheels. They look the part and the seller says they are OEM takeoffs, but they are fitted with Toyo Open Country QT 265/50 R 20 tires. Is this a proper fit? I would most likely swap out to the Goodyear Eagle all-seasons anyway, but I’m curious as none of the online tire sellers recommend this Toyo tire and certainly not any 265 size for the 20” wheels.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
245 to 265? They'll be tall with the same aspect ratio and would probably have a lot of sidewall flex since they're so oversized. Borderline at best.

·
Registered
50 Posts
To my eyes those seem a pretty atrocious choice...

They would do fine in mud. They are inexpensive. But...
According to certifications here in Europe:
  • their rolling resistance is 50% (!) higher than the best in class. Typically, rolling resistance accounts for about 60% of our energy use, so these Toyos will slash your range with almost a quarter!
  • their wet grip is far below average
  • they are not certified as winter tyres or even All Season tyres
  • they are very noisy
  • the 20in wheels are 8in wide. In principle then you should not go wider than 245s. I plan to put 255s (Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season: low RR, very quiet, very good wet grip), but 265 is a bridge too far IMO.

I would not keep them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas. I’ve already bought the wheels without the tires.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
For future reference, at least some tire manufacturers will list acceptable wheel width in their specs on their websites. I didn't see this for Toyo, though. The actual tread width, overall tire width, and width where the tire meets the wheel can vary quite a bit for the same labeled tire width, and overall width will vary depending on the wheel too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts