Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I connected successfully to Wifi at home as have others here on the forum by creating a guest network with a simpler password that didn't include special characters. And yes, the car forgot about it later. However, I'm not sure why I should care. I see the value of connecting the car on wifi while moving (via hotspot on your phone) as an alternative to the paid SIM cellular. However, my OTA update and my communication with the car (charging, locking, etc) all occur over the free, built-in SIM cellular. What am I missing? What is a use of wifi while the car is stationary? I can see surfing the web while waiting for a charge on the road, but at home? All insights would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
905 Posts
According to the information Jaguar initially published, if the car is connected to WIFI it will download the SOTA updates via the faster WIFI connection instead of 4G. Presumably, this also puts the amount of data on the WIFI connection instead of their 4G data plan with their provider.

This may vary by location in the world too. The car may be able to connect to WIFI someplace, but there may be no cellular/mobile connection available at all at the location.

If you're sitting there with the car charging (e.g. public DCFC charger), car powered up, and the car can connect to a WIFI signal, you might be able to connect to the WIFI and use the car as a hotspot for your personal devices to while away the waiting time. Hopefully, it will be less than 1 hour because the car will power off automatically at that time.

Those are just a couple of examples.

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the information Jaguar initially published, if the car is connected to WIFI it will download the SOTA updates via the faster WIFI connection instead of 4G. Presumably, this also puts the amount of data on the WIFI connection instead of their 4G data plan with their provider.

This may vary by location in the world too. The car may be able to connect to WIFI someplace, but there may be no cellular/mobile connection available at all at the location.

If you're sitting there with the car charging (e.g. public DCFC charger), car powered up, and the car can connect to a WIFI signal, you might be able to connect to the WIFI and use the car as a hotspot for your personal devices to while away the waiting time. Hopefully, it will be less than 1 hour because the car will power off automatically at that time.

Those are just a couple of examples.
Excellent! Thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, I connected successfully to Wifi at home as have others here on the forum by creating a guest network with a simpler password that didn't include special characters. And yes, the car forgot about it later. However, I'm not sure why I should care. I see the value of connecting the car on wifi while moving (via hotspot on your phone) as an alternative to the paid SIM cellular. However, my OTA update and my communication with the car (charging, locking, etc) all occur over the free, built-in SIM cellular. What am I missing? What is a use of wifi while the car is stationary? I can see surfing the web while waiting for a charge on the road, but at home? All insights would be welcome.
How do you have “free, built-in SIM cellular”? Mine was just a limited free trial .

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you have “free, built-in SIM cellular”? Mine was just a limited free trial .
I probably worded that in a confusing way. Sorry. My understanding is that the car comes with two cellular connections. One uses the SIM in the armrest console. It costs money after the trial and allows us to surf the web, see satellite view in maps, get traffic updates, etc. The second cellular connection is free with the car (at least for several years). It's the connection that allows us to communicate with the car -- lock/unlock it, start climate conditioning, control the charging, etc. I believe this is called the Telematics connection.

There seems to be some difference of opinion as to whether the over-the-air software updates come (1) via Wifi and/or the paid cellular, or (2) over the free cellular "Telematics" connection. I'm pretty new here, so I'm still learning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts