Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely use the NAV for my driving, which is mostly to places I know. I got a little turned around and decided to use it today.

I thought I read getting these NAV pages requires a data package with the SIM chip. I don't have a data package (although I have the SIM that comes with the car). But I did get the satellite view and accident alerts (traffic, per se, I'm not so sure).

So I DON'T need the extra data package for these functions? I am a bit surprised.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Did you have a phone in the car paired by bluetooth? That could be the source.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don’t have a personal cellular subscription for the I-Pace, but my Nav continues to provide real-time (or near real-time) traffic conditions. It does so, even if my cell phone isn’t with me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have a phone in the car paired by bluetooth? That could be the source.
Yes, my I-Phone is always paired, and I always have it with me. I also think the main display shows a 4G connection in the top right of the screen. So that may be it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I don’t have a personal cellular subscription for the I-Pace, but my Nav continues to provide real-time (or near real-time) traffic conditions. It does so, even if my cell phone isn’t with me.
I wonder if an infotainment upgrade allows the NAV realtime data for free now?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
462 Posts
Yes, my I-Phone is always paired, and I always have it with me. I also think the main display shows a 4G connection in the top right of the screen. So that may be it.
As I posted within another thread: For a couple of weeks I had live traffic and a "3G" signal at the top right of the screen, but no internet connectivity - browser, weather etc. Earlier this week AT&T reset the "modem" and it all works. I assume that as with Comcast and cable services the provider's handshake with the modem is key to data transfer. However live traffic appears to take a different route.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Note: If you have WiFi enabled, and you are parked at home, it will download realtime info while you are in WiFi range. This has always been true.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Note: If you have WiFi enabled, and you are parked at home, it will download realtime info while you are in WiFi range. This has always been true.
So this may be another reason for this in my case.

Last week I re-established the wi-fi connection to do the software update (worked fine and took about 12 minutes to download and 14 minutes to install). And the signal is adequate in the driveway. So I may have had the residue of that live download.

I did notice a few of the alerts (delay in 330 yards, something like that) did not appear to be correct, or at least I couldn't see any such event as I passed through that distance ahead.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So this may be another reason for this in my case.

Last week I re-established the wi-fi connection to do the software update (worked fine and took about 12 minutes to download and 14 minutes to install). And the signal is adequate in the driveway. So I may have had the residue of that live download.

I did notice a few of the alerts (delay in 330 yards, something like that) did not appear to be correct, or at least I couldn't see any such event as I passed through that distance ahead.
I am pretty sure that Nav live traffic info is free and probably comes with the touchPro service. My SIM trial period expired months ago, but traffic has always worked. The weather and news panes stopped working as did the web browser (it re-directs to an ATT page that fails to render, so it is just blank white page, but I can see ATT in the address) months ago, so I am sure my SIM no longer has a valid data plan. If I actually remove the SIM, the live traffic stops working. It is very strange.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
462 Posts
I am pretty sure that Nav live traffic info is free and probably comes with the touchPro service. My SIM trial period expired months ago, but traffic has always worked. The weather and news panes stopped working as did the web browser (it re-directs to an ATT page that fails to render, so it is just blank white page, but I can see ATT in the address) months ago, so I am sure my SIM no longer has a valid data plan. If I actually remove the SIM, the live traffic stops working. It is very strange.
I had a similar issue with Comcast a few weeks back at home where a router was receiving and sending email from/to Comcast, but internet access was locked. Comcast reset the router and we got both.
I assume this is a similar issue that the service provider can control how data is transfered thru the network

1 - 11 of 11 Posts