Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
260 Posts
I have a Chargepoint Home Flex and can vouch for it. It's been very reliable and hassle free, and it's obvious that it's a quality unit. The mobile app works well, and the Alexa integration is somewhat handy.

· Registered
995 Posts
I have a Chargepoint Home Flex and can vouch for it. It's been very reliable and hassle free, and it's obvious that it's a quality unit. The mobile app works well, and the Alexa integration is somewhat handy.
People seem to love that charger. On the Lucid forum they love it almost as much as their cars, lol. I think very few people are unhappy with their chargers though.

· Registered
31 Posts
I'm using the Wallbox charger. It's extremely well made (manufactured in Spain), easily configurable to the desired amperage, and has been very reliable. The software is solid but has a few quirks, though it has gotten better over time. I think I got it for $450ish on Amazon.

Adapter Gas Audio equipment Communication Device Battery charger

· Registered
345 Posts
I have a dumb, old, slow charger ... it's the Clipper Creek unit that came with my Chevy Volt. They were listed as level 1 chargers in the Volt owners manual, but there is a very easy to make dongle that allows them to be used as a level 2 charger, albeit one that only pulls 18 amps. It's on a dedicated 30 amp dumb circuit that I convinced the electrician to install instead of the GFCI breaker. It's also my travel charger and I plug it in to the dryer outlet at our place on the coast.

Reactions: Docrwm

· Registered
33 Posts
I love my JuiceBox. It can deliver up to 18kW (75A) and has software that allows it to speak w the local utility so I can benefit from schemes where they shut off my charger in case of high demand. That is an easy $100/year in my pocket and I want to help out anyway.

· Registered
50 Posts
I've posted several times about how happy I am with Level 2 charging at home because of the convenience and my local rate of 1 cent per kWh. I've seen several threads about Level 2 charging but they're either about a specific charger or about Level 2 charging generally, but none about which chargers people are using, whether they are happy with the unit they have, and why. For my purposes Level 2 charging is absolutely brilliant. Plug in overnight with a timer set, charge from 11:05p - 6:55a during the week and 24hrs over the weekend, and wake up to plenty of range. Having to use DC Fast chargers recently during work my wife had done to the house that blocked off the Level 2 charger just reinforced for me the ease of use and low cost of having that charger on the wall in the garage.

I watched a ton of YouTube videos about charging when I was considering an EV. I found a guy in NJ that seems to take the whole process the most seriously, and Level 2 in particular. His channel is called State of Charge - https://www.youtube.com/c/StateOfChargeWithTomMoloughney. I also watched a ton of videos about installing chargers. After all that research I concluded that I wanted to have a local electrician do the installation because I wanted my charger on a 60amp dedicated circuit. I have 150amps coming into the main breaker and had enough capacity to handle it. I know our I-Paces charge at 7.68 which is 32amps on a 240 volt circuit but I wanted to future proof the charging station as I am not the only driver in the house. I also came to the conclusion that I wanted a smart charger with a good app. Since I was going to place it inside the water intrusion rating (IP67 or IP 68) was less of a concern. What is a concern is UL listing. I found it odd that not all chargers are UL listed given the amount of power they deliver - mostly overnight. Finally, I wanted it hardwired in place as the addition of a plug seems to only add a very small bit of versatility (we're not moving any time soon) and adds another potential failure point.

After reviewing all the sources and coming up with my wish list I reviewed a ton of products and found that our friends in the UK have a lot of choices that are smarter and more flexible that are not available in the US. However, ultimately the ChargePoint Home Flex rose to the top of my list. It met all my criteria. Then I went in search of getting one below MSRP. The $749 price put it near the top of the list from a cost standpoint. I was fortunate enough to have had a conversation with a Georgia Power executive a year or so ago and recalled that they said GA Power has a deep commitment to supporting EVs. So, I went to their website to see if they had a program (got money back on my old refrigerator when we replaced it with an energy-star model) and they did. Georgia Power will give you $250 back on a level 2 charger if you are a residential customer - better yet they have 6 models that you can buy directly from them and get the $250 taken off the top. No one else I could find was discounting the Home Flex. So, I got it shipped to me for $499 plus tax. Sweet.

Installation was a bit of a hassle as I wanted to put the unit between the two garage doors in the dead space between the rails. I came to that conclusion when I watched several videos of people putting theirs on one side of the garage and then having to go through gymnastics to get the cable across to the other side, not be able to charge cars in the driveway, etc. My Ipace isn't going to have a cable dragged across its paint!

View attachment 7184 View attachment 7185 View attachment 7186
Between the doors, with a 23 ft cable, means that I can charge either side of the garage and both the parking places in front of the garage doors from the single unit. It added around $500 in conduit and labor to the cost of the job but I thought it would pay off in the long run - it already has several times as my wife had the delivery people put all the flooring on my side of the garage for storage for a week or so and I was able to charge easily in either outside parking place.

So, how has the Home Flex been for the past 5 months? In one word: Outstanding. I did have to put a repeater in for WiFi coverage but I had planned to do that for the IPace itself so that updates of the software would be smoother. The unit has performed flawlessly. I get 7.68kWh delivered overnight from the unit with a very flat charging curve. Initialization and programming were easy. The app works like a champ and the data management is excellent. The LED (Green in the photos) is also a huge plus IMHO - its easily visible across the garage unlike some other units and its brightness is adjustable in the app too. Oh, and the attachment point for the J1772 connector is also brilliant. It swings up when empty to make locking the unit in place when done easy but it then swivels down with the weight of the plug and cable to make it more out of the way. I'm still fiddling with the cable management but overall - love it.

So, what was your process, which one did you choose, and are you happy with it?
Benefit to a plug in wall box is it is easily replaced. I am on my 3rd LVL 2 after 9 yrs. Just lift and unplug, done - and no extra point of failure with a plug.

· Premium Member
2020 I-Pace S
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Benefit to a plug in wall box is it is easily replaced. I am on my 3rd LVL 2 after 9 yrs. Just lift and unplug, done - and no extra point of failure with a plug.
Sorry to hear that you have had to replace twice in 9 years. A plug is ALWAYS an extra point of potential failure as opposed to a directly wired connection. In your case I'm guessing you meant that it was not the plug that failed for your chargers.

· Registered
4 Posts
I also picked the ChargePoint Home Flex. I was able to pick it up for $700. I found a local electrician who actually specializes in EV chargers. I asked for the NEMA plug to facilitate future charger swaps. Since the installation is right next to the breaker box, he only charged me $300. It irritates me when I see misinformation sites like cars.com say that the average charger installation is something like $3,000. This location is also next to the garage door, so the cord easily reaches a vehicle parked in the driveway.

Our arrangement is a bit unique because we also have 10KW of rooftop solar feeding into the power configuration. We make enough power on a monthly basis to handle both our home and charging the I-Pace. I tell neighbors who ask about it that it's like having a free gas pump in your garage. I'm including a picture of my Fronius solar inverter (1) and my Home Flex (2).

The Home Flex and the I-Pace play together quite well and my experience matches the original post (which was very well-done and informative).
Gadget Electrical wiring Computer hardware Audio equipment Gas

· Premium Member
2020 I-Pace S
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Cost on installation apparently varies wildly across the US. Some of it is where you are. Some of it is where you want the charger relative to your panel. Some of the variation is due to how much work the panel requires to install the circuit. In my case the panel had to be rearranged to allow for a 60amp circuit to be added, we had to run a long length of conduit and cable to reach the location I wanted, and I wanted the work certified for home owners insurance requirements. I've used my electrician for several jobs in the past 10 years and know he's both competent and competitive financially. All those factors increased the cost of the installation to $1500.

· Registered
65 Posts
Timely post. The NY Times just published their recommendation in their Wirecutter site (kind of their take on Consumer Reports). They are very high on Gizzl e.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-electric-vehicle-chargers-for-home/

I have had the Juicenet Pro 40 since I got my IPace in August of 2019. The earlier model failed after about a year, but the gen 2 they replaced it with (under warranty) has been great. It is easy to program and the app is great.

Previously, I had a Tesla MS, and for the first few months after getting my I Pace, I used the Tesla charger. The one downside of that was the initial installation cost. I needed a home charger when I got my Tesla. I had to upgrade the garage electrical, which because of the rush and because they had to run wires under concrete, cost $5,000.

I also got a pretty substantial solar system installed last year, so I figure I'll recoup all these costs. In about 30 years! I do like the fact that even charging every day, my electric bill is about $20/month. And I don't have to worry about the expected brownouts in the next several years here in California.

· Registered
995 Posts
I’ve been quite happy with my Grizzly. The 28ft cords are nice. I wanted longer cords for more freedom of charging but two cords mean extra cable management. It comes with two holsters as well.

I would take a picture but right now my half of the garage is full of stuff and the Jag is parked outside. Good thing the cord reaches all the way outside!

· Premium Member
2020 I-Pace S
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I’ve been quite happy with my Grizzly. The 28ft cords are nice. I wanted longer cords for more freedom of charging but two cords mean extra cable management. It comes with two holsters as well.

I would take a picture but right now my half of the garage is full of stuff and the Jag is parked outside. Good thing the cord reaches all the way outside!
That was me a couple of weeks ago. Just glad the new floors are in and the painting is done!

· Registered
2023 Jaguar I-Pace HSE Santori Black
16 Posts
I also use the ChargePoint Home Flex. After watching some reviews, one of the reasons I got it is because its cable is one of the most, if not the most flexible in cold weather. Since I'm in Canada, it can get pretty cold in January, February. I have only had it a month, but so far still happy with it. I also like the fact that when you plug in to the wall, it hinges down so it doesn't stick out so much from the wall.

· Registered
48 Posts
I have a simple Seimens VersiCharge. It has the ability to dealy charging for 2,4,6, or 8 hrs and that's it! A simple "plug'n play" is what I wanted and I got it. I installed to plugs in my garage off on unused 40A circuit from an old washing machine. I was afraid the cord might be too short, but I can reach the driveway if needed, no problem and the positioning in the garage of the charger is perfect.

· Registered
13 Posts
We have se real E s, so several chargers. No 1 is a charvepoint that came with the original Mini-E 15 years ago. Had to replace the relay several years ago, cost under $100. No 2 is the Aerovironment that came with the Active-E 3 years later. No issues so far (about 12 years). About 7 years ago I bought a 40A Juicebox 1st gen. Again no issues. When we were driving vehicles with 65 mile range we carried a Jesla 40 A charger. This is a portable charger that was made for the Tesla and adapted to J1772 by Tony Williams at Quick Charge. It now sits permanently at our se ond home. Finally there is a 2nd gen Juicebox that we installed at my son's condo. With the exception of the Jssla all of the chargers are located outside.
I have no preference between any of them. I plug in, the car charges, and I am happy. When we remodeled our house we had three 14-50 outlets installed, each h on their own circuit. All of our chargers have 14-50 plugs so the chargers are "portable". If we ever move that can go with us.

· Registered
479 Posts
I have the same juicebox 40. The smart features work well enough. I use it to limit charging to 90% sometimes. It can do 11kw charging if a car can accept it - should work with my 2023 ipace when it arrives. The electrician wired it to a 50amp circuit breaker at the time of install for future proofing.
Jinxed myself. My juicebox40 started emitting the 5 beep warning this week which is apparently stuck relay. Not easily fixable apparently. Good thing I have a back 32AMP dumb charger I keep in the care for charging at the cottage. Might buy another dumb charger to keep on hand - Black Friday!

· Premium Member
196 Posts
I've got a Lectron 40A version, and interesting enough, no other first line brand would offer anything better for my requirements. This is why:
  • Wanted a charging cable as opposed to wall charger, so I can carry it on long trips as a backup.
  • 40A / 10 KW power which is a practical maximum for NEMA 6-50 and 14-50. Even if I-Pace can only pull 32A at this point, higher limit may be useful in the future, and also means lighter relative load on the cable itself right now.
  • Onboard indication. Sure other chargers offer WiFi connectivity, but onboard indication feels more reliable, straightforward and generally more convenient for quick overlook and troubleshooting.
Generally, I'm wondering why plug-connected wall chargers even exist, as they don't offer any advantage over charging cable, while taking out mobility. Hardwired ones may have a point due to potentially higher power rating, but again, there are not many EVs on the market that can pull more than 40A, and unless driven to empty on daily basis, why higher charging speed may even be needed at home.

· Registered
1,904 Posts
I think my cousin's Tesla charger is 48 amps. That was nice to get me back to almost full in a few hours after a long drive. That is a rare thing, though, for sure.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts