Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
995 Posts
I like me some dumb chargers. They work fine.
+1 for dumb chargers

I have a two EV house, got both of them this year. I wanted a dual charger for the convenience of just plug it a forget it. I also wanted a dumb charger to prevent handshake and communication issues between two smart things.

I also got a nema 14-50 installed. I thought about hard-wiring but I like the option to switch out the charger easily if I wanted. And eventually plan on switching to a V2H system once those become more convenient.

I went with the grizzl-E duo charger. My garage doesn’t have a center wall space to install it otherwise I would have done that. (I even thought about installing it above the garage with the cords hanging down, but our ceiling is too high!)

One thing you see a lot in EV ads is the charger on the wall closest to the home entry. I would recommend installing it at the entry to the garage. I often park one car outside and it’s nice to have the cord reach out into the driveway.

I have been charging my I pace and model Y on it for the past few months and it’s working great. It supposed to charge both vehicles at 20A or one vehicle at 32A/40A but I found that if charge the model Y first it won’t drop it charge when the I pace connects. The i pace software plays nice and does the right thing and drops the charging to 20A when the Tesla connects and the Tesla then charges at 20A as well. Otherwise it’s 32A vs 8A until the Tesla is done charging.Even this isn’t a problem. Plenty of time to charge both vehicles to full in a day if needed.

· Registered
995 Posts
Good point. A J1772 extension would also work for this situation. There shouldn’t be a sig drop in charging speed with the extra cable length

· Registered
995 Posts
I'm using a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, it works great. One nice advantage is that if you have two of them on a single circuit, they will talk to each other and load balance their charging. I only have one, so I haven't tested it. The App is OK, I tend to use it as a data repository for my charging sessions and to update the Firmware on the charger.
that Is a nice feature! Avoids a lot of confusion for dual chargers.

One electrician quoted me a elegant double circuit with two nema 14-50 outlets and chargers. That seemed like a lot, so I got one 14-50 and dual EV charger for a third the price.

And now after living with two EVs for a few months it it turns out a single charger is plenty for two EVs. The dual charger is nice to have but not really necessary.

· Registered
995 Posts
I have a Chargepoint Home Flex and can vouch for it. It's been very reliable and hassle free, and it's obvious that it's a quality unit. The mobile app works well, and the Alexa integration is somewhat handy.
People seem to love that charger. On the Lucid forum they love it almost as much as their cars, lol. I think very few people are unhappy with their chargers though.

· Registered
995 Posts
I’ve been quite happy with my Grizzly. The 28ft cords are nice. I wanted longer cords for more freedom of charging but two cords mean extra cable management. It comes with two holsters as well.

I would take a picture but right now my half of the garage is full of stuff and the Jag is parked outside. Good thing the cord reaches all the way outside!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts