Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,242 Posts
Previous thread on this topic Home Charger recommendations

For home charging, I mostly use a older generation Juicebox Pro 40 that I can unplug, take off the wall, pack into its travel case with an assortment of plug adapters, and take it with me if necessary. It's app is superior to the ChargePoint app with regard to graphing of the charging and information supplied, but obviously does not provide information for not-at-home charging.

I also have a plug-in ChargePoint Home Flex unit that can be pressed into service if the Juicebox unit should fail. It can be hardwired if I were to mount it permanently. However, the unit will only accept 6 gauge wires. An installing electrician needs to be made aware of this.

The two chargers have plugs that are oriented 180 degrees with respect to the ground lug. I have the socket in the wall oriented for the Juicebox and use a self-made adapter to accommodate the ChargePoint Home Flex if I mount it to the wall near the socket.

I have had both chargers go through cycles of charging the car for as long as it takes from low SOC to 100% drawing the maximum (32A) that the I-pace can suckle. The outlet has not melted and shows no signs of doing so. It is a 14-50R socket from a big box home center store rated for 50A and the wiring to it is 4 gauge.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,242 Posts

One thing you see a lot in EV ads is the charger on the wall closest to the home entry. I would recommend installing it at the entry to the garage. I often park one car outside and it’s nice to have the cord reach out into the driveway.
I pondered this too when installing my charger outlet. It would have been the ideal installation. However, the structure of the house is such that I would have had to run conduit around a major support structure. I opted to get a 20 foot extension cable that I could run out under the closed garage door. There's happens to be notch in the concrete floor between sections that helps to make sure it doesn't get crushed or present too much resistance to the garage door opener when it closes the door. I've used it several times without any issues of excessive circuit resistance and warming. Look on your favorite shopping site for a 40A J1172 extension cable for what is currently available.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts