Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Premium Member
2020 I-Pace S
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've posted several times about how happy I am with Level 2 charging at home because of the convenience and my local rate of 1 cent per kWh. I've seen several threads about Level 2 charging but they're either about a specific charger or about Level 2 charging generally, but none about which chargers people are using, whether they are happy with the unit they have, and why. For my purposes Level 2 charging is absolutely brilliant. Plug in overnight with a timer set, charge from 11:05p - 6:55a during the week and 24hrs over the weekend, and wake up to plenty of range. Having to use DC Fast chargers recently during work my wife had done to the house that blocked off the Level 2 charger just reinforced for me the ease of use and low cost of having that charger on the wall in the garage.

I watched a ton of YouTube videos about charging when I was considering an EV. I found a guy in NJ that seems to take the whole process the most seriously, and Level 2 in particular. His channel is called State of Charge - https://www.youtube.com/c/StateOfChargeWithTomMoloughney. I also watched a ton of videos about installing chargers. After all that research I concluded that I wanted to have a local electrician do the installation because I wanted my charger on a 60amp dedicated circuit. I have 150amps coming into the main breaker and had enough capacity to handle it. I know our I-Paces charge at 7.68 which is 32amps on a 240 volt circuit but I wanted to future proof the charging station as I am not the only driver in the house. I also came to the conclusion that I wanted a smart charger with a good app. Since I was going to place it inside the water intrusion rating (IP67 or IP 68) was less of a concern. What is a concern is UL listing. I found it odd that not all chargers are UL listed given the amount of power they deliver - mostly overnight. Finally, I wanted it hardwired in place as the addition of a plug seems to only add a very small bit of versatility (we're not moving any time soon) and adds another potential failure point.

After reviewing all the sources and coming up with my wish list I reviewed a ton of products and found that our friends in the UK have a lot of choices that are smarter and more flexible that are not available in the US. However, ultimately the ChargePoint Home Flex rose to the top of my list. It met all my criteria. Then I went in search of getting one below MSRP. The $749 price put it near the top of the list from a cost standpoint. I was fortunate enough to have had a conversation with a Georgia Power executive a year or so ago and recalled that they said GA Power has a deep commitment to supporting EVs. So, I went to their website to see if they had a program (got money back on my old refrigerator when we replaced it with an energy-star model) and they did. Georgia Power will give you $250 back on a level 2 charger if you are a residential customer - better yet they have 6 models that you can buy directly from them and get the $250 taken off the top. No one else I could find was discounting the Home Flex. So, I got it shipped to me for $499 plus tax. Sweet.

Installation was a bit of a hassle as I wanted to put the unit between the two garage doors in the dead space between the rails. I came to that conclusion when I watched several videos of people putting theirs on one side of the garage and then having to go through gymnastics to get the cable across to the other side, not be able to charge cars in the driveway, etc. My Ipace isn't going to have a cable dragged across its paint!

Wood Fixture Gas Electrical wiring Brick
Wood Electrical wiring Electricity Fixture Gas
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Between the doors, with a 23 ft cable, means that I can charge either side of the garage and both the parking places in front of the garage doors from the single unit. It added around $500 in conduit and labor to the cost of the job but I thought it would pay off in the long run - it already has several times as my wife had the delivery people put all the flooring on my side of the garage for storage for a week or so and I was able to charge easily in either outside parking place.

So, how has the Home Flex been for the past 5 months? In one word: Outstanding. I did have to put a repeater in for WiFi coverage but I had planned to do that for the IPace itself so that updates of the software would be smoother. The unit has performed flawlessly. I get 7.68kWh delivered overnight from the unit with a very flat charging curve. Initialization and programming were easy. The app works like a champ and the data management is excellent. The LED (Green in the photos) is also a huge plus IMHO - its easily visible across the garage unlike some other units and its brightness is adjustable in the app too. Oh, and the attachment point for the J1772 connector is also brilliant. It swings up when empty to make locking the unit in place when done easy but it then swivels down with the weight of the plug and cable to make it more out of the way. I'm still fiddling with the cable management but overall - love it.

So, what was your process, which one did you choose, and are you happy with it?

Administrator
Nice writeup, thanks doc! My experience has been very similar. Except for the $0.01 / kWh, did you reeeeaaalllly have to gloat about that again 馃槅

I bought a 'used' ChargePoint unit exactly like yours from a previous forum member 3 years ago and had a very similar installation experience. The unit has been great. I've also recently started to use ChargePoint units at work, and they've been almost flawless. Actually I'm amazed how easy it is to just use the app to connect and be charged (pun intended).

At a friend's cabin I use a "dumb" Mustart cable. That thing is a champ too, never had an issue, but it doesn't have connectivity functions .. which is fine.

Registered
Important topic!

I have been on a similar journey, doing research and thinking of the bigger picture.

As level 1 chargers are considered dangerous here, from 2023 they will no longer be allowed as a permanent way to charge an EV, they are only for emergency use. Most people buy a level 2 home charger. Especially now that electricity prices have gone up and Fast Chargers or Superchargers cost 15 times more than charging from home (!).

I decided to address the following
  • Any future EV I get will be able to draw more power from my charger than my iPace
  • The electric system in a house is the main cause of fire
  • A smart charger will help ensure I use power only when it is cheap and will only draw maximum power when it is safe to do so
Based on this I landed on a package deal from an electrician who reviewed the electric system of the house and upgraded my fusebox with better surge protection and individual ground fault switches before installing my charger.

As I have 3-phase to my house I landed on the Easee charger which supports 32 amp with 1 & 3-phase. My 2019 iPace cannot utilise the 3-phase but newer iPaces and other EVs do support this. I can control and limit access to 3-phase in the charger app. The charger also has load balancing and can limit charging depending on electricity prices through 3-party integrations.

This setup has worked flawlessly and my house is now both safer and more valuable.

Edit: Here's a picture

Line Material property Cable Gas Audio equipment

I also got a socket I can insert the loose end of the charging cable into to make it as tidy as possible. I thought that was a nice touch.

Registered
@Docrwm We have almost identical setups. My Flex is mounted between the garage doors and it鈥榮 worked out great for us as well. I have also been pleased with the flex itself and the ChargePoint app. There used to be a public ChargePoint EVSE in my office park so it was nice to be able to manage home and occasional office charging in one place (though that charger is now sadly defunct).

With respect to cable management one thing I did that鈥檚 worked really well is mount angle brackets between the wall and garage door tracks to prevent the cord from falling into the gap and being pinched by the door.
Automotive lighting Helmet Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fender

Registered
Great write up thanks. I am generally a very tech oriented/savvy guy but or L2 chargers I tend to go the other way. The most trouble I have had has been with "smart" feature laden chargers. I find that I have no need for the information and control (I can usually do almost everything with the car settings) so I tend to go with the dumbest chargers (like mustart mentioned above) myself. Never have had any issues with those cheap/dumb ones, yet all the "smart" ones (including the ridiculously priced Porsche branded smart Taycan one) are the ones that crash, need to be power cycled, etc etc.

So unless you must have the smarts I would go with a non connected, no smarts, just give me the juice one. I use ones that go up to 9 KW (mainly because I don't want to hard wire them). No issues and not a single failure so far (I own something like 4 of the dumb ones).

Premium Member
2020 I-Pace S
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice writeup, thanks doc! My experience has been very similar. Except for the $0.01 / kWh, did you reeeeaaalllly have to gloat about that again 馃槅

I bought a 'used' ChargePoint unit exactly like yours from a previous forum member 3 years ago and had a very similar installation experience. The unit has been great. I've also recently started to use ChargePoint units at work, and they've been almost flawless. Actually I'm amazed how easy it is to just use the app to connect and be charged (pun intended).

At a friend's cabin I use a "dumb" Mustart cable. That thing is a champ too, never had an issue, but it doesn't have connectivity functions .. which is fine.
Sorry, but yes ;)

Good to know about the Mustart. They make a portable Level 1/2 charger that is reasonably priced which might be a nice cable to replace the standard JLR Level 1 that came with the car.

What models at work? Did the business think to do it or did you ask/suggest?

Premium Member
2020 I-Pace S
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Docrwm We have almost identical setups. My Flex is mounted between the garage doors and it鈥榮 worked out great for us as well. I have also been pleased with the flex itself and the ChargePoint app. There used to be a public ChargePoint EVSE in my office park so it was nice to be able to manage home and occasional office charging in one place (though that charger is now sadly defunct).

With respect to cable management one thing I did that鈥檚 worked really well is mount angle brackets between the wall and garage door tracks to prevent the cord from falling into the gap and being pinched by the door.
View attachment 7187

Thanks! I may well borrow that once all the renovation issues I am fixing :rolleyes: are dealt with at the house. If you don't mind my asking - what was the cost for the L-brackets? I like the infinite mounting hole arrangement on them.

Premium Member
2020 I-Pace S
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
P.S. Another reason I wanted to avoid a plug-in with a NEMA 14-50 or other plug arrangement was two fold. First, my co-coach from Robotics is an electrical engineer (and long-term Tesla owner) and he told me that most of the NEMA 240v outlets are only rated for short-term use and not for 6-9 hours of continuous high-load use. Dryer runs for 140m and then is off until you run it again, etc. I found several reviews online that said the same except for one brand that is not plastic but is melamine but they cost $150 these days. Second, I found a number of videos that showed failed 240v plugs and the conclusion from the master electrician was that most would fail sooner rather than later in EV applications and that they need to start making 240v plus specifically for EV use that are rated for long-term operation at full capacity to avoid meltdowns and fires.

Registered
The new(ish) national electric code adopted in most of the US requires a GFCI breaker on a circuit with a receptacle intended for vehicle charging. GFCI breakers are much more expensive and they can trip because many EVSEs also include a GFCI. As a practical matter an EVSE should be hardwired under the NEC, since that does not require a GFCI and will be more reliable.

Registered
i just bought angle brackets off the shelf from Home Depot. This isn鈥檛 the exact one but it gives you the idea.

Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
Basic Clipper Creek and a Tesla one with a Tesla Tap for our vehicles. Been using the Clipper Creek for over 7 years. I like only one piece of equipment timing the charge so I like the non smart ones. I picked Clipper Creek since many public free charging locations near me used these outside for years and they work great with lots of abuse. I picked up the Tesla one with the tap on this forum thanks to a great person here.

Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
Previous thread on this topic Home Charger recommendations

For home charging, I mostly use a older generation Juicebox Pro 40 that I can unplug, take off the wall, pack into its travel case with an assortment of plug adapters, and take it with me if necessary. It's app is superior to the ChargePoint app with regard to graphing of the charging and information supplied, but obviously does not provide information for not-at-home charging.

I also have a plug-in ChargePoint Home Flex unit that can be pressed into service if the Juicebox unit should fail. It can be hardwired if I were to mount it permanently. However, the unit will only accept 6 gauge wires. An installing electrician needs to be made aware of this.

The two chargers have plugs that are oriented 180 degrees with respect to the ground lug. I have the socket in the wall oriented for the Juicebox and use a self-made adapter to accommodate the ChargePoint Home Flex if I mount it to the wall near the socket.

I have had both chargers go through cycles of charging the car for as long as it takes from low SOC to 100% drawing the maximum (32A) that the I-pace can suckle. The outlet has not melted and shows no signs of doing so. It is a 14-50R socket from a big box home center store rated for 50A and the wiring to it is 4 gauge.

Registered
Previous thread on this topic Home Charger recommendations

For home charging, I mostly use a older generation Juicebox Pro 40 that I can unplug, take off the wall, pack into its travel case with an assortment of plug adapters, and take it with me if necessary. It's app is superior to the ChargePoint app with regard to graphing of the charging and information supplied, but obviously does not provide information for not-at-home charging.

I also have a plug-in ChargePoint Home Flex unit that can be pressed into service if the Juicebox unit should fail. It can be hardwired if I were to mount it permanently. However, the unit will only accept 6 gauge wires. An installing electrician needs to be made aware of this.

The two chargers have plugs that are oriented 180 degrees with respect to the ground lug. I have the socket in the wall oriented for the Juicebox and use a self-made adapter to accommodate the ChargePoint Home Flex if I mount it to the wall near the socket.

I have had both chargers go through cycles of charging the car for as long as it takes from low SOC to 100% drawing the maximum (32A) that the I-pace can suckle. The outlet has not melted and shows no signs of doing so. It is a 14-50R socket from a big box home center store rated for 50A and the wiring to it is 4 gauge.
I have the same juicebox 40. The smart features work well enough. I use it to limit charging to 90% sometimes. It can do 11kw charging if a car can accept it - should work with my 2023 ipace when it arrives. The electrician wired it to a 50amp circuit breaker at the time of install for future proofing.

Registered
I like me some dumb chargers. They work fine.
+1 for dumb chargers

I have a two EV house, got both of them this year. I wanted a dual charger for the convenience of just plug it a forget it. I also wanted a dumb charger to prevent handshake and communication issues between two smart things.

I also got a nema 14-50 installed. I thought about hard-wiring but I like the option to switch out the charger easily if I wanted. And eventually plan on switching to a V2H system once those become more convenient.

I went with the grizzl-E duo charger. My garage doesn鈥檛 have a center wall space to install it otherwise I would have done that. (I even thought about installing it above the garage with the cords hanging down, but our ceiling is too high!)

One thing you see a lot in EV ads is the charger on the wall closest to the home entry. I would recommend installing it at the entry to the garage. I often park one car outside and it鈥檚 nice to have the cord reach out into the driveway.

I have been charging my I pace and model Y on it for the past few months and it鈥檚 working great. It supposed to charge both vehicles at 20A or one vehicle at 32A/40A but I found that if charge the model Y first it won鈥檛 drop it charge when the I pace connects. The i pace software plays nice and does the right thing and drops the charging to 20A when the Tesla connects and the Tesla then charges at 20A as well. Otherwise it鈥檚 32A vs 8A until the Tesla is done charging.Even this isn鈥檛 a problem. Plenty of time to charge both vehicles to full in a day if needed.

Registered
We have a post in the garage between the two parked cars. For years, the cable ran under one card and was rolled over, but recently I suspended the cables from the ceiling. It makes rolling things by easier and cuts trip hazards.

Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories

One thing you see a lot in EV ads is the charger on the wall closest to the home entry. I would recommend installing it at the entry to the garage. I often park one car outside and it鈥檚 nice to have the cord reach out into the driveway.
I pondered this too when installing my charger outlet. It would have been the ideal installation. However, the structure of the house is such that I would have had to run conduit around a major support structure. I opted to get a 20 foot extension cable that I could run out under the closed garage door. There's happens to be notch in the concrete floor between sections that helps to make sure it doesn't get crushed or present too much resistance to the garage door opener when it closes the door. I've used it several times without any issues of excessive circuit resistance and warming. Look on your favorite shopping site for a 40A J1172 extension cable for what is currently available.

Registered
Good point. A J1772 extension would also work for this situation. There shouldn鈥檛 be a sig drop in charging speed with the extra cable length

Registered
I'm using a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, it works great. One nice advantage is that if you have two of them on a single circuit, they will talk to each other and load balance their charging. I only have one, so I haven't tested it. The App is OK, I tend to use it as a data repository for my charging sessions and to update the Firmware on the charger.

Registered
I'm using a Wallbox Pulsar Plus, it works great. One nice advantage is that if you have two of them on a single circuit, they will talk to each other and load balance their charging. I only have one, so I haven't tested it. The App is OK, I tend to use it as a data repository for my charging sessions and to update the Firmware on the charger.
that Is a nice feature! Avoids a lot of confusion for dual chargers.

One electrician quoted me a elegant double circuit with two nema 14-50 outlets and chargers. That seemed like a lot, so I got one 14-50 and dual EV charger for a third the price.

And now after living with two EVs for a few months it it turns out a single charger is plenty for two EVs. The dual charger is nice to have but not really necessary.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts