Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Poor man's Ludicrous Mode?

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
103 Posts
Delivering something like this requires a level of technical sophistication that is likely well beyond JLR's abilities, but one can certainly hope.
That said, I'm holding out hope that future improvements to the BECM module will unlock additional performance gains.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is just a money grab. First, for a car this size 4.8 seconds is fine. Second, they could have just sold it with a 4.4 second 0-60 to start with -- but this lets them squeeze another 2K out of existing owners. It's not a coincidence that they waited until the last week of Q3 to offer it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I"d love to see some sort of super econo mode where the power is cut and the range is significantly extended.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
489 Posts
That's called "driving style". Feathering the throttle, sticking to 65mph limits, riding the regen brakes up to an intersection, not using AC etc. Others call this hypermiling. In the right conditions 260-280 miles is possible repeatedly.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
103 Posts
I"d love to see some sort of super econo mode where the power is cut and the range is significantly extended.
This does already exist to some extent; it only gets enabled when the battery is extremely low. It also exists in the API, which means that there could be a way to trigger it manually. That said, I would expect the range gains to be "significant." The vast majority of the car's energy is expended on motion. Ancillary electronics are pretty neglible outside of A/C, which isn't massive either.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The car has a special mode which is call "Get Me Home", if I refer to the API, or "Low power mode" if I refer to the manual. We can see it exposed as the key-value named "EV_RANGE_GET_ME_HOMEx10". Usually the range for that mode is only about 10 km more compared to the ECO mode ("EV_RANGE_ECOx10").

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Call me juvenile but I'd pay $2k to shave 0.5sec off my 0-60 time. JLR understated the I-Pace time at 4.5 sec, but Car & Driver clocked 4.0 or 4.1 I think. 3.5 sec would be fantastic, even to the detriment of battery life. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts

Poor man's Ludicrous Mode?
I would much more prefer improvements to range from JLR. The most disappointing element of my iPace is range and availability of Level 3 chargers. Living in California there are a lot of EV's but a significant shortage of Level 3 chargers for vehicles other than Tesla. This is a major drawback of owning anything other than a Tesla.

All other EV manufacturers really need to improve partnerships with charge station companies to make driving an EV for trips less challenging and restrictive. If there is a software upgrade to give me a 20% improvement in range I would gladly pay an extra $2,000.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Call me juvenile but I'd pay $2k to shave 0.5sec off my 0-60 time. JLR understated the I-Pace time at 4.5 sec, but Car & Driver clocked 4.0 or 4.1 I think. 3.5 sec would be fantastic, even to the detriment of battery life. :cool:
Juvenile. 😉

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
489 Posts
You beat me to it. Yeah, we can all be a little "juvenile" at times.

Problem we need to acknowledge is that the bulk of the energy usage is either from maintaining battery temp, acceleration, or combatting drag at constant speed. The latter is something that the laws of physics won't allow us to change, the acceleration factor is your driving style. This last month I've been getting consistent 260+miles to a full charge albeit non highway roads and with a light foot. There is your 10% improvement. When colder weather arrives, nothing I do will prevent the need for battery warming and loss of range. Not sure software tweaks can do anything about that either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts