Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is not redundant - I did some searches.
Having the wheels changed at a shop - concern about jacking points. Do you need pucks like on some Corvettes?
If not do they just lift with there scissors lift on the jacking points?
Thanks, shopman1

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked out the IGuide, no help. Just want to know if you take it to a shop do they need what i call pucks or chucks and if so where do I get them?

馃嵑
[/QUOTE]

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
I checked out the IGuide, no help. Just want to know if you take it to a shop do they need what i call pucks or chucks and if so where do I get them?

馃嵑
[/QUOTE]
"Wheel Changing" in the iGuide looks self explanetary. If it doesn't mention "pucks or chucks" or anything else, I would assume they are not needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The IGuide does mention a wheel chock which is stored in the vehicles spare wheel tool kit which does not come with this car nor a spare tire LOL.
So, I guess no one has had there wheels rotated or changed and that is why there is not an answer as yet to my problem.
Thanks anyway,
shopman1

Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
The wheel chocks would be used if lifting one wheel in the air with a Jack. I took a look under my car and if I were to go to a tire shop I wouldn鈥檛 bring anything special. I took my Model X to a reputable tire shop and checked before and after and everything looked great.

Registered
The IGuide does mention a wheel chock which is stored in the vehicles spare wheel tool kit which does not come with this car nor a spare tire LOL.
So, I guess no one has had there wheels rotated or changed and that is why there is not an answer as yet to my problem.
Thanks anyway,
shopman1
I had Discount Tire mount snow tires on 18" rims and then the 20" summer tires in the Spring. No special equipment was required.

Registered
Most professional shops have rubber on their lifts to help stop them from scratching the paint and too ensure the car doesn't slide, when on the lift. At home I use a dolly jack with a 1" piece of wood on it that has broken in half while lifting cars by the welded metal seams of the unibody cars of today, like the I-Pace. I have also used a mechanical bottle jack on the I-Pace without a problem, except for a scratch of paint off the seam. I was fortunate to have witnessed a front wheel drive Cadillac years ago, slide frontwards off a metal only hydraulic lift that was about 6' high. They had just finished up a front end alignment on my truck. The owner saw me and said no charge for the work if I left right then. I always wondered how they got that car out from between the wall and the lift.

Registered
I've had my car in twice at a chain Goodyear place for tire balancing (they got it right the second time). They didn't do anything special to lift the car and I've been under the car on ramps since then and everything looks fine.

Registered
if you want to jack the car and change your tires yourself, here is the location for the jack (plastic protection to remove)

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
The IGuide does mention a wheel chock which is stored in the vehicles spare wheel ....
"chock" - used to prevent movement of the wheel diagonally opposed to the one to be removed.

Nothing about "pucks or chucks". Nothing out of the ordinary in the instructions. Go to a decent tire shop and they'll put kitty on a lift to get the job done.

Registered
I've had my tires changed both winters I've had it, no issues with the tire store, regular lift. The car is heavy though so make sure the lift is rated for the weight. They do trucks so the lift was rated for the weight.

Registered
The nice thing about our local tire store is they'll hold the tires you aren't using for a nominal charge. I really hated taking the tires down from my wall racks, having to bag them, and then putting them back up into the racks when done. I even installed an electric hoist as holding a tire on a ladder just seemed like an accident waiting to happen and 20" and larger tires are heavy and awkward to lug above shoulder level. Now I don't have to touch the **** things at all. Was out in the icy, slushy mess we have here yesterday and the car was like driving a tank, very well planted on its snow tires.

Registered
Had a flat the other week (late on Dec 23, so I was anxious to get it repaired before the holidays). The screw was still in the tire (and defating slowly) so I decided to drive to the nearest garage and have it patched. It was more of a vintage car restorer than a garage and the lift was not available. For the life of me, I could not find any reference to using a jack in the iGuide (and recalled that this had been a topic here recently), so I wanted to look it up on iGuide. I had not used the app in a while so had to download it again then download the car specific stuff... Then went to search. "Flat tire", nothing. "Jack", nothing. "Tyre change", nothing. The guy was worried about jacking the car with the air suspension to he decided to insert the patch with the car on the ground. The iGuide is one of the most useless guides I have ever seen.

Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
Search for "wheel changing".

I'd like to know what his concerns were. There isn't any reason to think the air suspension causes a complexity for wheel removal.

Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
It took me a while to find it when I looked for it in iGUIDE too. I couldn鈥檛 believe my keyword searches didn鈥檛 work so I had to brute force it by scrolling though pages to find it. A previous car I owned had a Jack mode that had to be activated to keep the suspension from self leveling which could cause an unsafe condition.

Registered
Search for "wheel changing".

I'd like to know what his concerns were. There isn't any reason to think the air suspension causes a complexity for wheel removal.
It was mentioned in that other thread (can't find it now) that some cars with air suspension need to have something to limit the movement as the wheel comes off the ground. I recall in that other post that Land Rover (and Jag by extension) don't have this issue, but he wanted to confirm before lifting it off the ground.

Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
With the car powered down, the air suspension system won't have power to make any adjustments.

Having typed that I'd wait for 10 minutes after powering off the car to ensure it has gone to mild sleep mode. It should take that amount of time for a person with a spare tire to get the necessary parts out of the car, or any other assistance to arrive, before one gets to the point of jacking up the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts