Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened to me 3 times, always in heavy rain, so I've told JLR I think I know the cause. The air dams were designed to withstand the force of "air" against them, even at high speed (that's their function, to divert the airflow), but that's no match for the force of water, even at normal driving speeds. The more dense water forces the air dam's snap-in tabs loose and the part rotates on its only 'screwed in' piece, the interior screw, allowing the part to rotate back and rub on the tire.

I just called the dealer, since both my rear air dams (left and right) are now damaged as a result (second time for the right one, making 3 total occurrences). I'm told they believe there is now a TSP issued on this.
So if you hear a funny noise emitting from behind you, right or left, check the air dams in front of your rear tires. It's an easy fix to snap them back in temporarily, and they should hold until you get it replaced (assuming it grinds enough to damage the part - I caught this one immediately since I'm now familiar with the noise).
I hope the TSP authorizes a better method to adhere them to the car body (another screw?) rather than just another replacement.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had that issue originally. The tech agreed with me that the design was at fault but the manager wouldn't authorize it for warranty replacement. Basically he thought I hit a curb or it was ice build up so it was user fault. Myself and the tech pointed out that the only damage was where it swung back and rubbed on the tire but he was having none of it. The tech replaced the clips a couple of times when it would happen at no charge. Then one day the manager was like we've got the ok from JLR to replace the air dams under warranty. The tech asked me if it was ok to tap an extra screw in and I have never had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
904 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had this happen 4 times. The last time, the tech said "I must have hit a rock or something", which I definitely did not. Service said it is the last repair, and they won't do again. I hope there is a TSB, because it most definitely will happen again.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
904 Posts
See the other thread. There is a TSB.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, I did get a callback from the service manager saying there is a bulletin and they're changing the method of re-attachment. Parts were ordered for me so I'll swing by (it's a pretty quick, easy fix) in a week or two. We're in heavy rain season here in Florida so lots of flash floods creating temporary "rivers" across the roads... good to know the i-Pace is rated for 20" of water, even if the air dams are not (soon to be?).;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts