Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2019 HSE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have had my 2019 HSE for a bit over a year now and love it. It is fast, handles brilliantly, is lovely to look at, is genuinely well thought out, and for me at least has been very reliable. I’m even not really bothered by the slow infotainment system. But there are a few things I would have done differently or would love to see revised. Here’s my list- some trivial, some more serious, some perhaps pilot error, and not necessarily in any particular order:

• Range. I knew it going in and it’s not much worse than other (newer) cars, but w 84.7KWhr it seems a bit inefficient, or conservative from a battery mgmt standpoint. Against this, w 33k mi and no noticeable degradation, I suppose I should be happy. But still, I do drive longer distances sometimes and wish it could go farther. I am hoping that as EVs proliferate somebody may develop a higher capacity/more efficient battery upgrade.
• Driving position- for me the armrests are too low to hold the wheel at a proper position and still rest my elbows.
• Brakes prevent you rolling backward but not forward when stopped.
• Cannot program charging to stop at a particular state of charge. Yes I can do the math but really, why?
• Can’t precondition the battery unless the SOC is at 100%.
• Can’t set default driving mode to Performance or Eco.
• Can’t set ambient lighting color for Performance driving mode as w Comfort.
• Can’t turn piped-in sound off completely.
• High variability of charging rate. Sometimes I get 100KW out of a 150KW charger, sometimes 50 out of a 350 under similar conditions. This may be a network issue rather than the car.
• Only the USB port in the center compartment can be used for connectivity.
• Defrosting - seems to fog up easily. I know there’s Max Defrost mode but what is the ideal low energy mode to use to keep it clear?
• Roof rack - I ski and surf and would love an OEM system that is low profile and can be removed easily.
• Roof opacity - the glass roof does heat up and would be cool to have a Taycan-type solution that darkens on command. OK this is really picking at threads but hey, it’s a luxury car.

That’s my list. If I think of more, I’ll edit. But again, overall I really love this car. What say you all?

· Registered
730 Posts
-Longer wire harnesses would have been nice!

-NA hitch option
-A bit more range and faster charging
-2 usable cupholders

Really, my list is short. Reliability and more recent charging standards would lock me in for the next one (they'd have to tweak the look a bit so I can at least point to something to justify the upgrade!). I am still shocked I get to drive such a machine.

· Registered
296 Posts
Rear window wiper!

I had total loss of visibility with recent snow fall.

· Registered
2023 Jaguar I-Pace HSE Santori Black
23 Posts
  • For me so far the big one is NA Hitch option.
  • Rear window wiper would be nice as claims of it clearing with wind don't work when slow driving in a city with snow or rain. I have the rear camera so isn't as much of a big deal for me since I can still see behind in the camera mirror even if the window is completely blocked.
  • It would be nice if the driving mode stayed the same as the last one used when shutting off.
  • This is really minor, I'm not necessarily a fan of where you have to place the phone to charge it wirelessly though as since the phone is partially hidden I often forget it in the car when I leave and have to go back to get it. Maybe that is just me being forgetful though LOL.

- This is just an FYI as some of the wish list items above are available in newer models, such as
I can set the end SOC to whatever I want. That option appeared with one of the software upgrades, as when I took delivery that option wasn't available.​
I can precondition at SOC less than 100%. It has let me precondition an any SOC I have tried so far so now sure if there is a low limit.​
I have wireless Carplay as standard.​

· Registered
23 Posts
You can precondition the cabin (all I-paces can) but can you really precondition the battery (which is what the previous poster wanted to do)?
When the vehicle is plugged in, whether or not the SOC is 100% or not, 'I Believe' it will do the preconditioning. I went out tonight, and SOC was still at 77%. I went to the precondition screen, and it gives the option to pick a date/time when preconditioning will start. I have done this before and when I come out to the car, obviously the cabin temp is working, however I believe preconditioning has happened, however I am a new owner and I don't know if there is a way to know for sure. I looked in my manual tonight, and no where does it say that SOC has to be at 100%. Manual says "Preconditioning also conditions the high voltage battery to it optimum operating temperature when the vehicle is connected to an external charging station. If the vehicle is left plugged in, battery temperature is maintained within the operating range using energy from the electricity supply." It doesn't say anything about SOC.

· Registered
157 Posts
The general consensus from owners who have collected data from the OBD port is that battery preconditioning only takes place when;
A departure time has been set
The car is connected to a charging device
The SoC had reached 100% several hours before the set departure time

The IPace cannot precondition the battery and cabin simultaneously so it seems that, for example at low temperatures, it is supposed to heat the battery to „optimum“ temperature so that it reaches that temperature about 30 minutes before departure. In the last 30 mins before departure it preconditions the cabin.

· Registered
23 Posts
Ok thanks for enlightening me. I have no way to verify that I know of. I don’t have Wattcatt since I have an iPhone. Whenever I have set the preconditioning with date and time I don’t get any messages saying it is not working I just assumed it had worked. I have recently been using 85% as my final SOC since I like the more aggressive regenerative braking, so I know I haven’t been at 100%. I guess then my new wish list item is to have a display showing the status of the preconditioning and update the manual with the 100% requirement if that is true.

· Registered
2019 I-Pace SE
64 Posts
I would change how Spotify is engaged.
Currently, when you start your car, there is a communication with JLR portal 'Live' to check your linked accounts. Only after this occurs, does Spotify become available.
Too many times the 'Live' connection fails and I cannot use Spotify.
Also, if you put the car in Park and open the door, the car shuts down. Press the start button and Spotify has to wait for the 'Live' connection before Spotify is available.

Removing the charge connector is a PIA when you don't have your key. My work-around is to open the door, get in, close the door, lock the car, unlock the car, open the door, get out, close the door, unplug the charger.

· Registered
1,095 Posts
I wish we could activate the heated steering wheel and heated seats remotely. Add in remotely activating the actively cooled seats I would use that feature all the time in the summer and winter! Especially when parked at work.

Cabin preconditioning is nice. But the seats would work faster.

· Registered
19 Posts
1. Wireless carplay.
2. Cupholders too small for North American cups.
3. Software push from Jaguar directly and not dependent on a push from a local dealer.
I bought an aftermarket adapter that plugs into the wired CarPlay. It connects 90% of the time and works great. The other 10% of the time I have to unplug and replug in the gadget to get it to sync. I think it’s related to my phones cell/Wi-Fi connectivity since we have bad cell reception by my house.

· Registered
238 Posts
how about FOUR WHEEL STEERING?

This car would be perfect with it.

I also happen to think an estate/station wagon type variation would be appreciated.

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,427 Posts
One of the most useful vehicles I have had is a 2004 VW Passat Variant (aka estate, station wagon). It isn't a big step up to get into (the I-Pace doesn't either). It doesn't take a high lift to put something to the back (the I-pace is a little higher even at entry height setting). It's shape doesn't have a long sloping back that limits the actual height of the cargo (the I-pace does). It's cargo length with back seat down is long enough for most things (the I-pace is a little longer but the aforementioned height is the limiting factor). And it has a rear wiper. :)

· Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,130 Posts
why what? Four wheel steering is the ****.

and re: the wagon... I meant keep the car exactly the same but add that square-ish estate-style butt.
I was referring to 4-wheel steering. Don't see a need, but not being a city dweller I'm not sure I understand it's benefit.
Wagon, I get. Some people prefer more space in the back either for luggage or animals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts