Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Awesome write-up, thanks a lot.
One point from personal experience: when the car gives a warning about failing 12V battery, do not turn it off, as most likely it won't be able to turn on again until the battery is replaced. Proceed with caution to the location where you can comfortably wait for the tow truck.
What's happening, is this. When the battery degrades over time, it looses usable capacity, and at the same time increases internal leakage. The car's charger is continuously monitoring current, and when it's reaching certain level due to leakage, it generates that error. But while the charger is active, the battery can still sustain usable voltage. Things go south when you power off - then high internal leakage quickly drains already low capacity, and the car turns into a real estate.
In my case, wife pulled over and powered off hoping that it will clear the error, and the car got stuck. The only way I could recover it - bring the truck and kick the battery with jumper cables (which is a risky arrangement I admit). As the current in this case is limited by internal resistance of the batteries only, it quickly gains enough capacity to start the car and drive to safe place, but usually damages the battery even more. Predictably, attempt of charging it back home overnight at 6A setting gained nothing, so still flatbed to the SC.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts