Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our right front is starting to cord on the outside edge. Alignment issue possibly, but we do corner a lot. Left front is worn but not cording. Rears are worn but fine.

I'd like a summer tire, but I don't see any. I can always go OEM but prefer something stickier. Suggestions?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd also like to add some camber, now. 2 degrees would do wonders for tire wear for us.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or do I drop the stock wheels and get lighter ones in 22? or 20? or 18? 18 would probably roll over too much, considering what I did to the 20s.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would like to see a set lightweight forged aero style wheels tested with lightweight sticky tires. It might be possible to get increased range with better handling, braking and acceleration.

I believe 20" size should achieve the lightest combined weights of tire and wheel for the correct tire circumference.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wonder if 255/50 will fit on 20” rims. Stock is 245/50. If so, you can go with Jaguar spec P-Zeros. There is plenty of vertical wheel clearance, but not sure if the wider tire will rub the struts, because of the tight clearance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was thinking ahead to the colder months and considering getting 20" wheels for winter tires. (Currently have 22" wheels.).

What are your thoughts of winter 245/35-20 on OEM 20" wheels?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking ahead to the colder months and considering getting 20" wheels for winter tires. (Currently have 22" wheels.).

What are your thoughts of winter 245/35-20 on OEM 20" wheels?
I'd go 18s for snow, but the most I ever get is some frost in the morning.

I wonder if 255/50 will fit on 20” rims. Stock is 245/50. If so, you can go with Jaguar spec P-Zeros. There is plenty of vertical wheel clearance, but not sure if the wider tire will rub the struts, because of the tight clearance.
Impossible to know without measuring the actual tire. Some 245 tires are wider than some 255 tires.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'd go 18s for snow, but the most I ever get is some frost in the morning.
Despite the extra cost of another set of rims and TPMS sensors I like the 18" for winter tires. It's nice to have them sitting in the garage for a quick change and no trip to the tire shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I mounted 255/50 snow tires (Yokohama Blue Earth) without issues Last winter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How did you like the Yokohamas? I'm already looking for snow tire recommendations.
They were the only tires I could get (with the heavy load range and performance rating that I wanted) on short notice when I got my I Pace last March in Colorado. That said, they did fine. Performance on dry roads was OK. On snow, I they were fine too—but hard to say given my being new to the car. Tread wear when I swapped them out predicts limited miles of predicted use, however.

·
Registered
603 Posts
They were the only tires I could get (with the heavy load range and performance rating that I wanted) on short notice when I got my I Pace last March in Colorado. That said, they did fine. Performance on dry roads was OK. On snow, I they were fine too—but hard to say given my being new to the car. Tread wear when I swapped them out predicts limited miles of predicted use, however.
Thanks, Bret. I'm in Colorado too and stuck with the 20" OEM tires. As good as the car is in snow and ice I regretted not using a good set of snows. I did nearly slide through a few intersections and was grateful to be in quiet neighborhoods when it occurred. I bought a set of 18" I-Pace rims from a forum member and I'll be better prepared this winter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks, Bret. I'm in Colorado too and stuck with the 20" OEM tires. As good as the car is in snow and ice I regretted not using a good set of snows. I did nearly slide through a few intersections and was grateful to be in quiet neighborhoods when it occurred. I bought a set of 18" I-Pace rims from a forum member and I'll be better prepared this winter.
I put Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 tires on my 20in wheels for Maine winters. They are amazing and my range doesn’t take a hit with their low rolling resistance. Noise is also lower compared to any other winter tire.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I put Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 tires on my 20in wheels for Maine winters. They are amazing and my range doesn’t take a hit with their low rolling resistance. Noise is also lower compared to any other winter tire.
Thanks! I used Hakkapeliitta on a few Saabs and completely forgot about them. Great tires especially in Maine. I spent 4 years in Brunswick and loved it there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks! I used Hakkapeliitta on a few Saabs and completely forgot about them. Great tires especially in Maine. I spent 4 years in Brunswick and loved it there.
What years were you in Brunswick? For four years I’m guessing you were either with the naval air base or you attended Bowdoin College. I grew up in Harpswell myself, for people not familiar with Maine, Harpswell is the peninsula and islands coming off the coast of Brunswick.

·
Registered
603 Posts
What years were you in Brunswick? For four years I’m guessing you were either with the naval air base or you attended Bowdoin College. I grew up in Harpswell myself, for people not familiar with Maine, Harpswell is the peninsula and islands coming off the coast of Brunswick.
You guessed it, Navy from 1995-1999. I was a sensor operator in the P-3 Orion that drove people in Harpswell crazy because we flew over the town all day and night. Sorry if you lost sleep, eh? 😁

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, here in sunny norcal, no need for snows. My wife is taking the car in today to get OEM front replacements. Rears still have some life in them. I'd really like to get some stickier tires, though. Opposite of snows! Why anybody would want to live someplace so cold I do not know. I mean, we get frost in the winter mornings sometimes. Grrr!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well, here in sunny norcal, no need for snows. My wife is taking the car in today to get OEM front replacements. Rears still have some life in them. I'd really like to get some stickier tires, though. Opposite of snows! Why anybody would want to live someplace so cold I do not know. I mean, we get frost in the winter mornings sometimes. Grrr!
Every winter I eventually think to myself, 'What in the heck are you doing here?", especially considering that my wife is from Nairobi and puts on a sweater when it gets below 70...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Every winter I eventually think to myself, 'What in the heck are you doing here?", especially considering that my wife is from Nairobi and puts on a sweater when it gets below 70...
Because we have no poisonous creatures trying to kill us and when climate change heats things up we won’t be cooked alive😉 I remember a work trip out to California when it was like 70 at night and I was walking around in shorts while everyone else was in coats looking at me like i was the crazy one!

It’s a lot of fun driving my tractor around with the snowblower shooting snow 100ft into the woods. Just waiting for someone to make an electric version...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Because we have no poisonous creatures trying to kill us and when climate change heats things up we won’t be cooked alive😉 I remember a work trip out to California when it was like 70 at night and I was walking around in shorts while everyone else was in coats looking at me like i was the crazy one!

It’s a lot of fun driving my tractor around with the snowblower shooting snow 100ft into the woods. Just waiting for someone to make an electric version...
I get you! I loved Maine but do remember wearing a jacket to a 4th of July fireworks show at the county fair and the Navy was kind enough to send me to sunny, warm Sicily over most of the winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts