Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am not getting anything like 204 miles and please forgive me but.... I have only owned the I Pace for 5 days, I am not physics savvy and don’t understand what you mean by SOC? Please enlighten me
Sorry, lots of new acronyms to learn...

SOC is state of charge, the battery level.
GOM is what we lovingly refer to as the Guess-O-Meter. It is the car's reported range, which as you learned, is not such a good prediction. Certainly while the car is new (or after a major update where the history might have been purged), the car has little information about your driving style or the car's average consumption to make a good prediction of range given the battery charge level. It improves as it learns bout your driving. The car, unfortunately, puts more emphasis on the range estimate instead of the SOC number. I imagine it is because they assume the range prediction will be close and that it is easier to work with than trying to do do the math of range estimation yourself while driving a car, but I'd like ot see both.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
84 Posts
It's funny how we look at energy usage differently from one country to the next. I tend to view energy consumption/efficiency in miles/kWh. I've seen as high as 6.7 mi/kWh, and as low as 1.9 mi/kWh. My average seems to be somewhere between 2.1and 2.5. Living in the mountains as I do, the inclines really make a difference. I took a loop around the neighborhood recently while I was updating my navigation map software, and my energy consumption was 5.8 mi/kWh.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In Canada the iPace is rated at 377kms (234 miles) under ideal circumstances. Add the 22” wheels and you will see a noticeable drop in range. Add a bit of highway use and watch it drop even faster. I have had mine for a year and a half and typically get around 325kms (200 miles) in warm weather but you don’t want to know what I see in a Canadian winter. I wish it was more, but that is the nature of the beast (and physics).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think I've ever gotten as low as 20kwh/100km and generally get around 23. Can others report their typical consumption?
My consumption is this low when the temp is 22C. Our highways here have a pretty low speed limit of 90 or 100 km/h. If I push it, I can get my consumption up to 23 or 25 pretty easily.
Driving around the neighbourhood is a 35 km/h affair and the roads are flat, so pretty easy to keep consumption down. Kind've like forced hypermiling.....
I have to look for opportunities to 'let her rip'

J

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's funny how we look at energy usage differently from one country to the next. I tend to view energy consumption/efficiency in miles/kWh. I've seen as high as 6.7 mi/kWh, and as low as 1.9 mi/kWh. My average seems to be somewhere between 2.1and 2.5. Living in the mountains as I do, the inclines really make a difference. I took a loop around the neighborhood recently while I was updating my navigation map software, and my energy consumption was 5.8 mi/kWh.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I Just did another 100% charge and again got 278 miles. Or so the GOM thinks so. Note I have not reset my GOM in quite a while, so may be slightly less. Energy usage averages around 288 watts per mile when driving in easy comfort mode around town.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
195 Posts
So, are you seeing 270-290miles consistently for a full charge?
278 miles for only the last times I 100% charged.
Most of the time I top off charge to say 90% or so.
I 100% charge at times when I forget its plugged in and the ChargePoint App sends me a notice.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Let me make a constructive suggestion regarding the point of this thread: If everyone reported their range when the GoM shows 91% it would be so much less confusing and variable!

Here's why: The GoM is highly variable at the extremes of charging: close to empty, and around full charge. This is not JLR's fault, it's physics and electrochemistry given environmental conditions.

Instead of reporting GoM at a full charge, noodle it down a bit. The GoM's estimate will be much better.

Why 91%? Your mental practicality. If you're dead set on estimating range at full charge (100%), then you just take 10% of the range at 91% and add that to the range at 91%.

Example:

My GoM at 91% says 200 miles.
10% of 200 miles is 20 miles.
My range on a full charge is 200+20 = 220 miles. Woohoo!

[Ok mathy types, I'm rounding for the sake of simplicity]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
278 miles for only the last times I 100% charged.
Most of the time I top off charge to say 90% or so.
I 100% charge at times when I forget its plugged in and the ChargePoint App sends me a notice.
Thank you, you are the only one who has answered with the information I need and wanted to know accompanied by a photo!
I need everyone to do the same for proof to give to my Jag dealer if need be as minewill not show more than197 miles!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
BeauBlue—you are barking up the wrong tree here. What most of the posters are trying to tell you is that it does not matter what the display shows you as it will be different for each car and each driver. If I finished a long drive at high hiway speeds on a hot day then went home and charged up the iPace, in the morning the car might show 325Kms of predicted range on the display. If I then drive around at city speeds I will see that the predicted range will start to come back up. The next morning it might show 380. If I had a long drive in the depths of a Canadian winter, the display might predict 280kms By collecting photos of other people’s reported predicted ranges and showing them to the dealer, you are not proving anything. Here is the only piece of information you require— The rated range of your vehicle is 377kms or 234 miles. Ignore your predicted range as that rarely is based in reality. It simply shows a trend based on your historical driving patterns. If you do a lot of highway driving and you get 350kms of ACTUAL range, then I think you should consider yourself fairly average and your performance is falling within the design of the vehicle. I do not know of many people on this forum that get much higher than that unless they are using it on slower roads or in mild weather or on 18” wheels or are active hyper-milers.

You need to give yourself a chance to get familiar with the personality of your new car. If you have a heavy foot, your range will be lower. If you got the 22” wheels your range will be lower. If you drive in cold temperatures with the cabin heat set to high your range will be MUCH lower. The same principal applies to gas powered vehicles, however it is less noticeable since we don’t have a giant display in the car showing the predicted range of our Dodge Ram in 2” tall numbers shining in our faces every morning.

Unless you are not getting around 320-360 kms per charge of actual range (not predicted range) your car is fine and the dealer will not investigate. There are some forum members here that have experienced defective batteries (myself included) and were only getting 200kms of actual range which resulted in a replacement battery. You need to drive it more than a week or two for you to determine if you have a problem.

Good luck and enjoy your sweet ride. Once you get used to it and it’s capabilities you will be thrilled with it’s performance, ride quality and economy all while looking good saving the earth. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was at 91% this morning so snapped these with both No AC and AC on (so the discrepancy is clear). My driving is mixed city and highway in a very flat locale. Due to the weather, the range has likely adjusted for a mix of open window and AC driving. My last 100% charge June 2 before using much summer AC (I don't charge to 100% normally) showed 252 miles and extrapolating suggests I won't reach that but will be close enough. P.S. I drive in Dynamic mode all the time.
NO AC.jpg
WITH AC.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
2019 SE, 20" wheels, Dynamic Mode mostly, Regen High, Creep Low, AC used half the time, Half city driving/Half highway. My GOM has barely changed over the 2200 miles and I find it to be fairly accurate unless my foot turns to lead on the highway (hint: frequently so). I do not have the latest software update installed and need to visit the dealer soon- maybe my GOM will actually improve altho these numbers are quite acceptable to me.

No AC.jpg
AC on.jpg

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
309 Posts
Borrowing from @SteveDesign, 2019 SE, 20" wheels, Eco Mode mostly, Regen High, Creep Low, AC used less than half the time, Half suburban driving/Half highway. I have to admit, I've been driving lightly to see what my real range is and have only driven it about 650 miles since I purchased it at the end of May. As soon as I feel out the Kitty, I'll be asking her for more of the fun to come out! My first full charge starting from 4% SoC:

Charge08092020a.jpg

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
FWIW: 91% showed range of 227 miles (comfort mode, A/C @72 degrees & started full 100% charge with 251 miles on 8/10). As a doctor would say the results of this test are unremarkable.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts