Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am doing some research on the TCU for our I-Pace. I have found that it is not in the right rear fender area. On the F-Pace it is in the left rear fender area. That will be my next search. Here is a picture of our TCU according to Ebay.
Font Peripheral Gadget Computer hardware Laptop accessory

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,856 Posts
Who said the TCU was in the right rear?
It is located on the left side, three mounting bolts, cable connections on the down side and the battery is on the up side. (Flip the ebay picture above 180 degrees.) Remove the little screw and the panel scene in the picture to get to its battery.

Perhaps confused as this thread was started about the auxiliary battery and a person standing in front of the vehicle looking in the frunk area would find the auxiliary battery on their right (car's left) side.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Who said the TCU was in the right rear?
It is located on the left side, three mounting bolts, cable connections on the down side and the battery is on the up side. (Flip the ebay picture above 180 degrees.) Remove the little screw and the panel scene in the picture to get to its battery.

Perhaps confused as this thread was started about the auxiliary battery and a person standing in front of the vehicle looking in the frunk area would find the auxiliary battery on their right (car's left) side.
Ahh, so the starter battery is on the car’s right side? That makes more sense to me as I thought I was boosting the aux battery when in fact I was boosting the starter battery. We should use the stage right/audience left terminology 😊

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Industry standard for right/left is the orientation of the person as sitting in the driver seat.

·
Registered
559 Posts
That’s why we aren’t using driver and passenger!

The UK has a separate forum! I mean they drive on the other side of the road. Who else knows what other crazy things they do.

And don’t get me started about “football”!

·
Registered
343 Posts
WattCat was giving a correct reading of 0% on my TCU backup battery. The I-Pace TCU backup battery is a standard 1st gen Tesla traction battery with a wiring connector soldered to it. Mine is dead, zero, nothing.
Also included a picture of my TCU.

Food Bottle Fluid Material property Cuisine
Wood Material property Electric blue Font Wire
Receipt Plant Font Event Rectangle

·
Registered
178 Posts
WattCat was giving a correct reading of 0% on my TCU backup battery.
A question: is this battery open or short circuit faulted, or is there a blown diode or fuse or other fault between the battery and the TCU electronics? If the TCU is faulty and still under warranty, would it be voided if you change the wired in battery?

Good to see your photos. Do you have a wide view shot showing the TCU location in the car?

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
343 Posts
No, I did not take a full shot of the TCU as I did not fully remove the trunk siding liner. I had my flash light stuck in the panel to keep it back enough to take the above picture. The TCU is generally behind the fold down shopping bag hook, just a little lower, in the drivers side trunk area. To remove the shopping bag hook, pull the hook out about 45 degrees from full in, then pull up at that angle hard. You may want to wrap a rag around the hook to get a better grip for the pull. Then you have to remove the torx screw to get the little hanger box out. This allows pulling of the fender liner some what away from the fender area. There are also 5 or 6 push in plastic plugs that you can pull out with your fingernails, in addition to a few push metal claw clips that have to be pulled free. The bottom of the panel appeared to be part of the whole trunk liner. I could be wrong, but I didn't need it open but about 5" to remove the battery or the TCU. If the car wasn't under warranty, I would have put the blue battery in and said let's go. Although my WattCat appears to be working OK at all times. The internal battery (or capacitor) in the TCU must be OK. I'm thinking the removable battery's main purpose is for after a wreck, or storage for longer than a few days. The removable TCU battery only appears to be good for only a week if the Starter battery fails to <1.Volt. I know!

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Found this:

The TCU receives a permanent power supply from the startup battery via a fuse in the Passenger Junction Box (PJB).

Telematics Control Module Battery

The Telematics Control Module (TCU) battery is integrated into the TCU. The TCU battery is located below a cover which is retained by a screw. The TCU battery contains a single cell that is fully rechargeable.

The TCU battery enables continued operation in the event of a vehicle main power source disconnection for example:
  • In a major accident.
  • In the case of deliberate action of a thief as part of a vehicle theft attempt.
  • If the startup battery becomes depleted then 'Secure Tracker' will be triggered (if equipped).
The TCU battery in the TCU will only be active during an eCall, bCall or 'Stolen Vehicle Tracking' session in which the vehicle power supply is disabled. The TCU battery is also required for the Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) logistics tracking system when the vehicle is in transit mode.

You might try toggling the vehicle to/from service and transport modes ensuring service mode is last chosen, in WattCat although these are not supposed to work in NAS vehicles.
There's a reset procedure that is supposed to be followed in Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud if the battery is replaced.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That is kind of what I suspected about the accident and disabled stolen vehicle power. I would believe any turn on of the replaceable battery, would be in the TCU, not in the battery's thin cover. I have over 25 solar street lights that I installed and use the same batteries. The batteries do occasionally fail completely with no power as sensed by a voltmeter. I need to talk to my dealer to ensure their knowledge is up on all the modes the TCU can play. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts