Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Prior to my Jag I owned a Ford Escape hybrid, and a Mercury Mariner hybrid, both with CVT. I put >200k miles on the pair and had no transmission issues at all. Very smooth. Not sure why CVT is not more popular.
CVTs are more efficient but I missed the feel of the transmission shifting. Many car TV shows seem to bash CVTs as not being fun, dead feel, etc. but Nissan has gone almost exclusively to them on their passenger cars and some manufacturers have installed software that gives the impression of gear shifts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Prior to my Jag I owned a Ford Escape hybrid, and a Mercury Mariner hybrid, both with CVT. I put >200k miles on the pair and had no transmission issues at all. Very smooth. Not sure why CVT is not more popular.
CVTs are more efficient but I missed the feel of the transmission shifting.
That to me was the beauty of CVT. No shifting, just a smooth acceleration - albeit a little lacking on the Escape. I grew up with a manual box, if I wanted to feel the shifting, I'd go back to a manual (probably not many options these days though).

·
Registered
247 Posts
That to me was the beauty of CVT. No shifting, just a smooth acceleration - albeit a little lacking on the Escape. I grew up with a manual box, if I wanted to feel the shifting, I'd go back to a manual (probably not many options these days though).
Lol The irony is that I now drive a single speed I-Pace. I drove my son's Subaru WRX STI today and it reminded me how much I like a manual transmission but the noise - not so much.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
234 Posts
And the WRX STI is definitely a loud car. A friend of mine did a cross-country trip in his, once. He said between the noise and harsh ride he'll never do that again. Day-to-day not a big deal, but his back and ears weren't happen after multiple full days of it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
And the WRX STI is definitely a loud car. A friend of mine did a cross-country trip in his, once. He said between the noise and harsh ride he'll never do that again. Day-to-day not a big deal, but his back and ears weren't happen after multiple full days of it.
Totally agreed. My son even borrows our Fusion whenever he needs to drive any distance to pick up clients, etc. Definately a young person's car. He says he loves an analog car that gives him complete control but he also never turns down an opportunity to drive the I-pace....:smile2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
In 2011 I ordered my first Tesla Model S which was delivered in 2013. Sold it in 2016 and leased a new one with Autopilot (I won't own an EV for more than 3 years and leasing and returning is easier than buying and selling but in 2013 Tesla wasn't leasing to consumers yet). When my lease was up in 2019 I wanted to migrate away from Tesla. I loved driving them but the company is growing too fast and can't support current customers. For instance a parts backlog that keeps your car in the body shop for 6 months. So not wanting to risk being rear ended in a car that there are no parts for, I looked at the alternatives. The alternatives that are as good as a Tesla were few and far between, but I ended up going for the I-Pace. I would have preferred a sedan like the Model S but I'm happy with the I-Pace. It drives great and has a lot of comforts that were missing from my Teslas. But I still want a sedan and after this lease ends I will be looking at the Lucid Air or the Audi e-Tron GT, or whatever else is out by then.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In 2011 I ordered my first Tesla Model S which was delivered in 2013. Sold it in 2016 and leased a new one with Autopilot (I won't own an EV for more than 3 years and leasing and returning is easier than buying and selling but in 2013 Tesla wasn't leasing to consumers yet). When my lease was up in 2019 I wanted to migrate away from Tesla. I loved driving them but the company is growing too fast and can't support current customers. For instance a parts backlog that keeps your car in the body shop for 6 months. So not wanting to risk being rear ended in a car that there are no parts for, I looked at the alternatives. The alternatives that are as good as a Tesla were few and far between, but I ended up going for the I-Pace. I would have preferred a sedan like the Model S but I'm happy with the I-Pace. It drives great and has a lot of comforts that were missing from my Teslas. But I still want a sedan and after this lease ends I will be looking at the Lucid Air or the Audi e-Tron GT, or whatever else is out by then.
I would have preferred a sadan too because I don't like SUVs. Never has one, but I almost can't describe what the I-Pace looks like or category it drives like.
Last night I took a bank really fast and was planted.

Would you have gotten another model S if they gave it another face lift?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would have preferred a sadan too because I don't like SUVs. Never has one, but I almost can't describe what the I-Pace looks like or category it drives like.
Last night I took a bank really fast and was planted.

Would you have gotten another model S if they gave it another face lift?
Recently at a charger in a shopping center someone came up to me and asked what my car was and about charging and EVs in general. I started talking about the I-Pace and compared it to my previous Teslas stating what I wrote above and she asked me, if Tesla fixed their management problems and became a better company to be a customer of again, would I consider another Tesla and the answer was yes. I don't care about a facelift but if they could fix their management problems I would go back to Tesla. Not holding my breath though, and I think now that more competition is hitting the market they really have to fix their issues with regard to supporting existing customers or they will lose them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2017 Honda Accord Hybrid. Loved this car, consistently got 50 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
A3 etron PHEV 2016-19, super useful and surprisingly smooth little hatchback. No compromise in space despite the battery. When I bought it, it was my tide-me-over-until-a-nonTesla-EV-arrives-that's-worth-buying leased vehicle.

2014 Jetta Hybrid Turbo (seriously). Wife's car 2014-present. Great daily driver, totally solid, nice interior, looks great, it moves. It's tragic VW marketing didn't push it hard, it could have been a more widely appreciated success. It was probably just a compliance car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It is probably a bad idea, but those noise cancelling ear buds or fuller cans would probably zero that drone down to a whisper.

Apparently some vehicles use noise cancelling in the cab (putting a reverse phase sound out of the sound system, I guess) for that same effect. It would be great if there was some aftermarket device one could use through an aux or bluetooth input into various car sound systems. The circuitry cannot be that expensive, since the newer I-pod Pros have it at a $250 price point.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It is probably a bad idea, but those noise cancelling ear buds or fuller cans would probably zero that drone down to a whisper.

Apparently some vehicles use noise cancelling in the cab (putting a reverse phase sound out of the sound system, I guess) for that same effect. It would be great if there was some aftermarket device one could use through an aux or bluetooth input into various car sound systems. The circuitry cannot be that expensive, since the newer I-pod Pros have it at a $250 price point.
In Colorado it's illegal to drive while wearing headphones but still not a bad idea. My Fusion Energi had active noise cancelling that worked great. While on battery the car was as quiet as my I-Pace. U.S. submarines have used this technology to reduce their acoustic signature for years. I think the car industry got the idea from the Navy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chevy Volt Gen 1, then Chevy Volt, Gen 2. Both great cars. I preferred the more 'traditional' interior of Gen 2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In addition to our 2019 I-Pace, we also have a 2018 Model 3. The I-Pace is far more luxurious and the build quality/materials is much better. You can tell the difference by shutting the doors of both cars and how solid the I-Pace is compared to the Model 3. Software-wise, I'd have to give it to Tesla. It just works, and the over the air updates are seamless. If anything acts up, you can easily reset the system and everything goes back to normal. My HUD display with corresponding HUD options in the I-Pace suddenly disappeared this morning. If it doesn't come back on it's own, I'll need to take it in for repair. I do love how I rarely see other I-Paces on the road, where every other car where I live in SoCal is a Tesla.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My first EV was Tesla S. Sold it last month after 4 years of ownership. Happy with my IPace.
This is more common that I thought. The Model S is a phenomenal car, but I think after a certain point of time, people want something different.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts