Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was waiting for my wife to grab a couple of things at the supermarket. When she returned, I started the car with no issues but the Jaguar kitty stayed frozen on the startup screen. That of course resulted in no radio or audio. The frozen kitty remained cold & unhappy during our 2 mile return home, even as I tried to cycle the radio's power control.

It wasn't until we got home and I turned the car off, exited, and then got back in to restart the car, that all returned to normal.

This doesn't get me particularly alarmed, but I could see it being an issue if you've started a long drive. Short of exiting the highway and shutting the car off and then back on, I'm not sure how you'd get the radio back on.

Has anyone had this glitch before and has a good fix while driving?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still, to this day, wait for the whole system to boot up and show me my home screen before I put it into D (or R). Now with 20A the bootup is faster than it used to be, so it's not so hard to wait any more.
Do you think this wouldn't have happened had I not taken off right away?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
850 Posts
Pre 20A I had one instance similar to that. I put it in park when I got to my destination after 25 miles and suddenly the infotainment system came to life and acted normal. There's definitely a timing issue that one has to hit the buttons (power and gear) at just the right timing to experience the problem. Timing issues in software are some of the hardest to reproduce and fix.

I've observed the quicker boot up time with 20A It seems like they took a page from an old VW diesel manual pre-TDI days (i.e. before mid-90s). Back then glow plugs took a long time to heat up. VW made the wait shorter by turning on the glow plug circuit when the driver's door was opened. It didn't matter if the driver intended to go anywhere. However, in most cases the driver was going somewhere and that extra time between door opening and driver turning on the ignition shortened the wait for the glow plugs to heat up and the engine could start .Here it shortens the time for the system to be booted up after the driver is the seat.

Performing a two start button push sequence may avoid it. That sequence being push start, then brake pedal, then push start again, then push gear selection. That might introduce sufficient time delay to get beyond the trouble moment. Yes, a little less convenient but shorter than pulling over, shutting off, and starting all over if you happen to hit the unlucky moment.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Do you think this wouldn't have happened had I not taken off right away?
It's been my practice to allow the screen to display the home page before putting the car in gear after an experience when I got the black screen issue and had no climate control or infotainment options. One other quirk I had was when starting the car after less than a minute after shutoff and I had no voice command until the car sat for awhile and then was restarted.

·
Registered
598 Posts
On a long drive give it at least 10 or 15 minutes and I think it will boot up on its own.
I have seen a delayed boot up a few rare times and it resolved itself.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
684 Posts
I have had this maybe 2-3x since December. Now, I usually wait until ALL screens boot up and then perfection.
1x it stayed frozen for the entire drive, the other 2-3x it finally came back, but it took 5+ mins!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if there isn’t a hidden reboot procedure. Occurrences similar to this weren’t unusual for the Tesla. There it was a well known fix to press the two thumbwheels on the steering wheel to reboot the screen and infotainment system. This could be done even while driving.

Let‘s start a research project to see if there isn’t a hidden reboot procedure that could be used for an issue like this. I thought afterwards that perhaps holding the radio power button in might accomplish this.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I had a bit of a related issue today, but I found a solution I could easily have overlooked. In this case the screen wasn't frozen, but the main home screen didn't show a choice of 'sources' for media since the source button wasn't there on the main screen. So when I hit 'media', the screen simply changed to a blank white screen which was supposed to be 'online'. There was no connection to the online media despite having the news & weather. I had no ability to change the input. I couldn't choose AM/FM/ or Sirius.

That was until I noticed the ability to choose 'source' was still on the lower screen! So simply hitting source on the lower screen gave me the ability to once again change sources, although the online media, TuneIn, was still gone. Strangely, the source button never reappeared on the main screen.

Another 'go figure', courtesy of the kitty. Cats are so unpredictable. Meow. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Curt, did you ever use that button during a similar issue? I will program that button.
I haven't experienced the same issue but have found the button to be convenient while driving. I programmed the long press to turn off the display and is great during nighttime driving. Helps with visibility.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't experienced the same issue but have found the button to be convenient while driving. I programmed the long press to turn off the display and is great during nighttime driving. Helps with visibility.
Curt, so it appears every time you select 'Online Media', you can potentially lose the 'source' button on the main screen if you have no online connection. You then get a blank, white screen. That sometimes occurs and I don't know if that's an AT&T thing or an occasional glitch. I suspect AT&T since I recall the same thing happening with my Tesla. But the source button remains on the lower screen, so I may never have noticed it. Normally if you have a connection to online media, you will get a 'source' choice on the left. But if you lose the connection, you only get the white, blank screen. At that point you need the lower screen or the favorite button as you mentioned.

BTW, I did now program that button. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
I haven't tried online media. I have just the 2GB package so I only use the data for navigation. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts