Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
857 Posts
The reality is that there is no "magic bullet" battery technology out there that is going to be implemented in production models in the next 3yrs or so that will give 500mile range in all weather/driving conditions.

The major drivers of range are aerodynamics, weight and battery size (and, in case we all forget, driving style). The Lucid has impressive numbers, but the car is much more aerodynamic and has a larger battery compared to the I-Pace. All the other EV models are in the same ballpark.
For those owners, or potential owners, that just want an extra 10-20% range, there will be more that still want 10-20% more after such an improvement. The key is to find what the majority of owners need the majority of the time and market to that.

I've said many times on other threads that I doubt the majority of I-Pace owners worldwide feel that the current range is a deal breaker (logically, they wouldn't have bought if it was), so we are reduced to a "this would be nice, but ..." scenario, which could also apply to 0-60 sub 4s, price under $50k, "autonomous" driving, etc. In other words, things we would like, but for the majority are not deal breakers.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
388 Posts
For me all comes down to 2 issues.

First is my fault, that I moved to Maui and there isn’t a Jaguar dealer or service center on the island, so if I need it serviced I have to ship it to Oahu for ~$1k round trip.

Second is the buggy software. The TCU has basically been dead for 5 months now, and I suspect a reset would fix it, but that can’t be done without hooking up to pathfinder, and it isn’t worth shipping the car. The infotainment is laggy and still bugs me as well.

This definitely limits me for the next car to makes that have a dealer or authorized service center on the island. The next limiting factor is no Android Automotive (AOSP is ok, I just don’t want the data going to Google). That rules out GM, Ford, and Volvo based cars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My I-Pace is less than a year old. My replacement will be in ~6yrs... Solid State batteries look promising and there are prototypes being produced today with super fast charging and a significantly higher range. Will they become available, who knows? I sure hope the landscape looks very different in 5yrs. More reliable highspeed chargers would help greatly. Driving to a 20% charge and finding a single broken 24kw charger isn't fun. With an ICE vehicle, I don't even think twice about getting below a quarter tank, gas is available everywhere. Again, let's see what the landscape looks like in the next few years, fingers crossed that it changes.

My take is that current adopters won't push for the change (they know what they purchased), it's when the masses get the technology that you will hear the collective scream.

Would I purchase my I-Pace knowing what I know now, Absolutely! I love the car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have about a year left on my lease. My I-pace has been relatively trouble-free (knock on wood) both compared to others here and compared to the vehicles which preceded it (I had to park my Audi A4 outside for year because there was a risk it could spontaneously combust), and it's the best car I've ever owned. My use cases suit it almost perfectly: I have a 60 mile commute which the I-pace makes almost pleasant and we have a vacation house that's 100 miles away so I can travel back and forth without having to charge along the way. We also have an ICE for times when we need to roam further afield.

Given all of that I am tempted to check the residual and consider buying it at the end of my lease. I share the trepidation about owning a 3 year old EV, but but given how new/unproven the other EVs which might replace it are, and the known issues other makes are having, it doesn't seem as risky as it did when I initially leased.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The reality is that there is no "magic bullet" battery technology out there that is going to be implemented in production models in the next 3yrs or so that will give 500mile range in all weather/driving conditions.
Absolutely and I also find that people who ask for 450 miles in one charge and charging that takes minutes know that their demand are unrealsitic. They just want and excuse to proclaim EVs useless.

The major drivers of range are aerodynamics, weight and battery size (and, in case we all forget, driving style). The Lucid has impressive numbers, but the car is much more aerodynamic and has a larger battery compared to the I-Pace. All the other EV models are in the same ballpark.
Spot on, don't get me wrong an EV6 will get more range on less battery and will charge quicker. But for the vast majority who charge at home it makes no real difference other than a few extra pence per mile. The only time it makes a difference are the handfull of times per year they go on a longer trip. And even then the difference is maybe 15-30 minutes longer for charging.

For those owners, or potential owners, that just want an extra 10-20% range, there will be more that still want 10-20% more after such an improvement. The key is to find what the majority of owners need the majority of the time and market to that.
That already happens with EVs. We already know the majority of people drive less than 40 miles per day and sometimes way less. The problem is an SUV with 250 miles of range is way more marketable than a city car with 100 miles of range. This is because people typically buy a car based on their 1% - 5% needs. 1 or 2 times a year they take the family on a road trip holiday and that means the daily driver needs to accomodate 3-4 people (or more) plus all the associated luggage. Even though 99% of the time it will do the school run and commute to work with only 1 person in it.

I've said many times on other threads that I doubt the majority of I-Pace owners worldwide feel that the current range is a deal breaker (logically, they wouldn't have bought if it was), so we are reduced to a "this would be nice, but ..." scenario, which could also apply to 0-60 sub 4s, price under $50k, "autonomous" driving, etc. In other words, things we would like, but for the majority are not deal breakers.
You'd be surprised. Part of my research before putting my very recent I-Pace order in, was reading the I-Pace forums for user feedback. I remember a very long thread with people complaining the I-Pace they bought was getting significantly less miles than the advertised range. So the number of people who bought an I-Pace without actually doing ANY research must be fairly substantial. I see the same on other car forums so it's a very normal occurence.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm sort of agreeing with just finding a good warranty when the factory one is up. What extended warranties are you all looking at?

There really is a lot to love about our cars - and a lot to hate as well..

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i4 M50 on order. Dealer thinks after summer.
Keeping the I-Pace. Will probably search for an extended warranty some day.
Ready to dump this Model Y. Ugh on so many levels.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My lease is up in 10 months. No EV out there currently that is more interesting to me in the same price range. Technology hasnt chanfed that much. Rangebof Ipacebis fine, charging speed could be better. If charging speed and reliability of stations were better people would emphasize range less.

Polestar 2 comes close but range and performance similar but not as nice inside and I like ipace styling. A6 etron if available looks promising but it appears a couple years away. Curious if anyone in Canada is getting any deals on their end of lease buyout?

My concern about buying it out is reliability, Jaguars commitment to it as they try and move upscale, value after 3-4 years which could be zero as new BEVs are released. So that may mean keeping for longer if it's still running fine or dumping it for minimal $ after another 3-4 years.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I’ve been looking for a electric car under 70k. The best thing I’ve found is a new 2022 I pace (with tax credit). Lol. So I’m waiting for it arrive at the dealer.

If your budget is under 100k I would take a long look at the e tron S sportback. I would prolly get that over the I pace. Has the luxury and quiet of an Audi. Just dunno if the handling and suspension are up to you standards.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The range of the e-tron seems to be pretty bad by comparison.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I charge at home. So I really mostly care about enough range to get done what I need to get done in a day. Speed of charging isn't really important to me overall.

That and as I stated previously, I live in Colorado and need to be able to drive up to the mountains and back on one charge. The elevation destroys the range of these things.

·
Administrator
2,855 Posts
I live in Colorado and need to be able to drive up to the mountains and back on one charge. The elevation destroys the range of these things.
But it doesn't! You get 90% back on your way down. The contrast between how much you spend on the way up and how little you use on the way down is incredible, much more pronounced than in an ICE car. Unless you go much faster on your way down than up, in which case the increased wind resistance will counteract the benefit of gravity.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I always thought that would be the case but I've not gotten results like that for some reason. It's not terrible going down hill but it's not enough to make me feel safe to go 100 miles up and come back on one charge. I also have the risk of traffic in either direction which can really mess things up.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
First is my fault, that I moved to Maui
Yeah, what kind of idiot does that? :)

Also, I'll definitely see you this summer.

R1T - in 13 months
I call it the FUG1Y.

I've seen a few around here. They just look like an icky version of Astro Boy to me. I'm just not a fan.

Also I saw a Lucid test vehicle. I thought it looked dated, like a 5-year-old Kia. Was not impressed.

The Jaguar is still hotness.

I genuinely like the look of the beaver-toothed BMWs. I look forward to the i4.

Where's my Miata EV, damnit!?!?!

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
108 Posts
I’m getting the Ford EV truck. The ride should be excellent, should be pretty good driving dynamics, since by most accounts Ford nailed those in the Mach E. It also comes with the ability to be used as a generator that can power a house for several days. It would likely cost 15-20k for the generator that can do what the truck will be able to do

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I charge at home. So I really mostly care about enough range to get done what I need to get done in a day. Speed of charging isn't really important to me overall.

That and as I stated previously, I live in Colorado and need to be able to drive up to the mountains and back on one charge. The elevation destroys the range of these things.
Same for me. Efficiency and charge speed are not a factor for me. It's a plus to have those, but not a requirement.
The I-Pace range of around 220mi per charge is more than enough for my use l

21 - 40 of 66 Posts