Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of us who bought/leased our cars when they first came out should be coming around to the end of leases or considering our next move. I'm curious to see what everyone else is considering.

I have been researching this pretty heavily as I have zero desire to own this car out of warranty. Mine has been in for work so many times over the last 3+ years. It has literally been in the shop more than my 97 Ferrari 355 or my 12 R8 V10. And is the only car I've owned in decades that has stranded me.

With that ugliness out of the way... I'm trying to figure out what's next. The strange thing is that even with all the new EV cars that have come out, the needle really hasn't moved all that much since the IPace came out. I can't seem to find another option that has the performance both in a straight line and in the twisties while still having comfortable air suspension for daily driving.

I'm trying to stay under or hover around $100k US

I'll break down some of the cars I've considered:
1. Mach-E GT - Good performance, air-suspension, seems reliable, looks pretty good - but just not a luxury car.
2. EQS - Ugly, and expensive
3. Rivian - Good luck getting one this year and a bit larger than I need.
4. Taycan - Low-ish range and over 140k as equipped the way I want - and honestly a bit too big.
5. Lucid - Again too expensive and no way to get one this year
6. BMW iX - Just butt ugly
7. Model S Plaid - I just don't think I can do it. Also pricey and I really want a full steering wheel for that much money.
8. Any Audi EV - Low range, high price.

What am I missing?

Honestly if my IPace was reliable and had a good infotainment system I would probably just keep it or order another. But it sounds like even if I upgrade to one with Pivi I won't be able to get a fully optioned one for a really long time with the chip shortage AND I just can't stomach giving Jaguar another close to 90k...

What are you all considering?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R1S would be great I think - maybe a bit larger than I want or need BUT it does seem like the right fit. Unfortunately I think at this point it might be deep into 2023 before I could get one.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Why considering the iX and not the i4 ?. It seems like the i4 is closer to the iPace, no ? And less ugly…

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i4 Seems alright. The range is underwhelming and it really just looks like any other 3 series. Yawn.

·
Registered
2020 Firenze Red SE, 9/2019 Build
75 Posts
I have an i4 eDrive 40 on pre-order but I haven't heard ANYTHING from my dealer since I put my deposit down back in November. We want to lease one since it'll be the first iteration of that vehicle. We originally put down deposits on both the eDrive 40 and the M50. We decided that AWD and a sub 4 seconds 0-60 was not necessary since we have the I-Pace so we got that deposit back within a few days. Also, we're hoping that it'll still qualify for the $7500 tax credit that BMW has passed on as a cap reduction to lessees. We may not get our i4 for a while and our BMW i3S lease is up in March. BMWFS said we can extend our current lease for 6 months until September 2022 with a production number or a deposit down. We'll see what happens when September comes if the car isn't here yet. We can back out of the deal at any time before signing and get our other deposit back.

I can't afford to finance or lease the other EVs that I want (Porsche Taycan Gran Turismo GTS, E-Tron GT) that would compliment the I-Pace. Polestar 2 was fine when I test drove them (one with 19" and one with 20" wheels. 20" were better) PS2 was just ok and not worth the price to me. Felt very cramped to me and I'm 5'3."

I purchased my I-Pace so that's a keeper until at least the warranty is up in another 4 years. I don't drive it enough to worry about going over the 60,000 miles part of the warranty. I've had it since Oct 2020 and I have 3400 miles on the clock. BTW, compared to the Jag, our 2 i3's we've had have encountered zero issues. My I-Pace was in the shop from July-Sept '21 and then from Nov '21 to Jan'22.

Here's some pics of my i4 build:
build link: Build Your Own Car: Luxury Car Customizer by BMW USA
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Reactions: Lar and sciencegeek

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
388 Posts
I have an iX on order, but think it’s a little big for what I want. I’m hoping the Genesis GV60 turns out to be a good option. Size wise it appears similar to the i-Pace, slightly better acceleration, interior looks decent, and better range than the i-Pace (with a smaller battery, so cheaper to charge).

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Audi RS E-Tron GT Year One. ETA is pushed till the end of July.
I need a sporty enough car thats fast enough for me (under 11s 1/4 mile)

Problem is the delays, price increases from Audi, the interest rates keep going up, chip shortage makes it harder to get a deal on a car. So it's becoming a long shot.

Looking at every EV out there, I keep reverting back to the I-Pace being such a great car.
I like the Taycan and the E-Tron GT, but both are riddled with build quality issues and glitches.
I-Pace doesn't have as many issues as these cars that are 3x the price and the build quality is superb.

Without question I would have got an XJ EV, but that got axed.

Reactions: epirali

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
345 Posts
There is a clear market gap at the moment for something a bit like an iPace but better (especially range and acceleration) but with a similar form factor, similar or better interior fit (no plastic seats), good ride height and air suspension for offroad use and comfort. The closest to tis target currently appears to be the Kia EV6 GT but I am not sure if that will offer adjustable ride height or air suspension.

Mine is only 18 months old and I own it so can time a replacement but I am hoping for something like a Macan EV (although I would prefer something that isn't German which is what led me to the iPace in the first place). I suspect in the next 18 months to 2 years a lot of credible options will become available particularly as the Japanese brands engage more heavily with EVs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With that offensiveness far removed... I'm attempting to sort out what's straightaway. Interestingly, even with all the new EV vehicles that have come out, the needle truly hasn't moved too much since the IPace came out. I really can't observe another choice that has the exhibition both in an orderly fashion and in the twisties while as yet having agreeable air suspension for every day driving.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Saw a BWM i4 the other day with a decent trim and it looks much better than in the photo above. Will definitely be organising a test drive with the i4 M50 in advance of the lease on the MY21 running out. The Mercedes EQE, available from mid 2022, may also be of interest. Same price range as the I-Pace, around 600 km range with 170 kW charging.

The I-Pace has such potential but JLR do not appear capable of getting the most out of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It should be worth consideration that charging speed and efficiency are not the be all and end all. So if you are happy with 220 Summer and 180 winter miles (or thereabout) and have been coping with your I-Pace as you charge from home, then why change for change sake?

I get that an EV6 for example will have better efficiency and a smaller battery, so the cost per mile will be lower. But then again if you are worrying about cost per mile, then having a ~£65k - £75k EV is kinda ironic.

I get it that people want faster charging or better efficiency/range, and if you have found your current I-Pace a chore to live with due to these factors then fair enough, you should look to an alternative. If not then I can assure you that having tested the following cars recently.

ID.4
Enyaq
Audi Q4
Ioniq 5
Mach-E AWD
EV6
Model 3
iX3

That none of them are overall significantly better than the I-Pace and some are significantly worse for quality and luxury. There is only going to be a benefit if you really need ~20% - 25% summer range and about 10% - 15% more winter range, or if you need 10-20 minute better charging speeds at a rapid. In fact the only car in that list with significantly better charging speed and range is the EV6 (a ver nice car and EV). So the only people to benefit from these will be those doing a considerable number of very long trips and who rely on rapid charging for most of their charging needs.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
61 Posts
It should be worth consideration that charging speed and efficiency are not the be all and end all. So if you are happy with 220 Summer and 180 winter miles (or thereabout) and have been coping with your I-Pace as you charge from home, then why change for change sake?

I get that an EV6 for example will have better efficiency and a smaller battery, so the cost per mile will be lower. But then again if you are worrying about cost per mile, then having a ~£65k - £75k EV is kinda ironic.

I get it that people want faster charging or better efficiency/range, and if you have found your current I-Pace a chore to live with due to these factors then fair enough, you should look to an alternative. If not then I can assure you that having tested the following cars recently.

ID.4
Enyaq
Audi Q4
Ioniq 5
Mach-E AWD
EV6
Model 3
iX3

That none of them are overall significantly better than the I-Pace and some are significantly worse for quality and luxury. There is only going to be a benefit if you really need ~20% - 25% summer range and about 10% - 15% more winter range, or if you need 10-20 minute better charging speeds at a rapid. In fact the only car in that list with significantly better charging speed and range is the EV6 (a ver nice car and EV). So the only people to benefit from these will be those doing a considerable number of very long trips and who rely on rapid charging for most of their charging needs.

It will be interesting to see how the Genesis GV60 stacks up against the I-Pace.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What is in line for next depends on a lot of things (at least for me). Hopefully new battery technology will be available for a major increase in range. The current state of affairs (charging in the wild) is unworkable for me. We need a vehicle that can do ~500miles per charge. Less is fine assuming quick charges and an abundance of charging options.

The I-Pace suits me fine for now, I like the look and I love the performance. I charge at home so even in the winter the crappy range is OK for 98% of my driving. For the other 2% it's the ICE vehicle.

There was a study done in CA and from memory, some huge number of people didn't go with an EV after owning one if it was their primary car. The people happy with them were people who had an option to Charge at Home, did Short Trips, and had an ICE vehicle for the long haul stuff.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My I Pace has been reliable enough ... drivetrain and charging has been perfect; EAS repair and heater crapping out are the only noteworthy problems ... with two JLR vehicles in the garage, I've made my peace with the infotainment system. There really isn't anything out there that would take me to the next level of usability in terms of range. I'd need real world 350 highway range to comfortably do round trips to South Florida with only one fast charging stop. As it stands, I can do Jacksonville and Tampa Bay with the I Pace and, with some destination charging, the coast house on Cedar Key.

The fact is that I still like the I Pace and enjoy driving it.

I think we're going to get a used i3 for a city car and keep what we have for a while unless a good PHEV crossover comes along that can replace the Velar.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I completely agree with this. I don't want to change for change sake BUT my car is almost out of warranty and has not been close to reliable. Just to name a few issues I've had since owning it:
1. Wiring harness issue stranded me - car gone for 2 months
2. Air suspension failed - twice - gone for a month each time
3. Sensor that keeps the car from damaging itself when it goes into the lowest suspension mode failed and damaged the under-tray - Jaguar won't do anything about this.
4. Driver visor came apart
5. Cooling to front motor failed and nearly killed it
6. Electrical gremlins - The car never really likes to remember settings - like if I turn LKA off it comes back on 30 seconds later in the same drive - No solution from Jaguar
And other odd items I can't remember off the top of my head.

All this and I haven't rolled 30k miles yet! So the idea of owning this car out of warranty is troublesome to say the least.

I definitely agree that nothing else has really moved the needle that far. I really need my replacement to go at least 300 miles on a charge have a luxurious interior, good performance, functional air suspension is ideal, etc etc. Basically our IPace but with more range and a good infotainment system - oh and more reliability....

I threw in an order for an R1S - but it's definitely going to be huge compared to our perfectly sized IPace. I can always cancel my order though. I would love to find something that fits better.

ID.4
Enyaq
Audi Q4
Ioniq 5
Mach-E AWD
EV6
Model 3
iX3

·
Registered
7 Posts
I currently drive an E-Tron 50 with 175 summer and 140 winter miles, yet never have had any major issues with range. Though I do live in Northern Ireland and there is nowhere a 220-230 mile range (in summer) EV like the I-Pace wouldn't will get to and back from easily. We also have the worst charging infrastructure in the UK and among the worst in Europe. Our 6 or 7 "rapids" are all 50kW and are frequently broken for months at a time.

So I rolled my eyes out loud when a colleague recently got an Ioniq 5 AWD and was getting all arrogant about his 220 kW charging speeds being better than my pathetic 125kW on the E-Tron 50. I reminded him that nowhere in Northern Ireland has over 50kW and he would actually have to drive 220 miles out of his way to the 350kW Ionity chargers in Dublin, just to test his super charging speeds. I am only bringing this up because he ironically had an I-Pace before he got the Ioniq 5. And he was forever reminding me that he could drive to Dublin and back in his I-Pace without charging... unlike my E-Tron 50. I do wind him up by calling it his "Ironic 5" :D

Though I do agree that if your real life driving profile is for regular ~250 mile mostly motorway trips, in all seasons where rapids are a necessary evil, then the I-Pace is not the car for you. Had a guy recently saying that he would only consider an EV if it did 200 miles in winter. I said quite a number will right now. He then said "I meant motorway miles" and I said "so did I". He then said that he read that you should only charge to 80% and never go below 10% or it "kills the battery", so it would need to this journey with these limitations in place. I asked if he was serioulsy demanding that EVs would need to do 200+ miles in the worst weather winter days, and only by using 70% of the battery? I asked sarcastically if he would also be towing a caravan.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
756 Posts
I spec'd and ordered a 2022 BMW i4 M50 and put my deposit down about a month ago. Dealer says delivery is totally up in the air. Absolute best, but unlikely, case....Spring 2022. Most likely case Summer 2022, but Autumn 2022 is not out of the question. I am just hoping the chip shortage gets sorted out.

I leased a 2022 BMW 530e in September....and the phone as key, Harmon Kardon sound, passenger seat memory and foot activated power trunk were all deleted since BMW did not have enough chips. Series 1,2,3,4,5,6, Z4 and all X models affected. BMW said they are trying to not delete options and packages in the 7 and 8 Series.

Fingers crossed! I was really hoping JLR would electrify the E or F Pace, but this does not seem likely. My dream EV will be the full Size Range Rover (I have owned 5 and love them), but the EV RR will be very $$$ and will not be out for a while.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For me it's not exactly that I need 300 in range all the time. I have never charged away from my house. BUT I live in Colorado and I am a realtor. I had to show a home 90 miles away a few weeks ago and had to take my wife's XC90. There was just not way I would make it both ways in cold temps with altitude changes like that.

·
Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
139 Posts
My plan is to keep my Ipace. After 4 years I will buy an extended warranty. The only car that looks to be a better version of the Ipace is the upcoming Fisker Ocean. Since it is being built in the same factory as the Jag, I have a suspicion that it will be very similar to it. If I were Fisker I would just copy everything possible from the Ipace with a bigger battery with faster charging.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts