Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
671 Posts
How do they compare to a Maybach?
We have only owned Rolls-Royce (Phantoms and Ghosts) and Bentley (GT and Mulsanne) for super "high end". I have never even been in a Maybach, but we have owned two S500s and 1 S550 and they were all fantastic and 100% trouble free and fun to drive, for being large.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
84 Posts
I interpreted this thread to mean what’s better than an I-Pace when considering electric vehicles. I don’t think that there’s an electric vehicle available today that is better than an I-Pace. If you expand the criteria to include ICE vehicles, then I would say my Porsche 911 is better. It’s difficult to compare them. They each serve a different purpose, and they are each awesome in their own way. The acceleration and torque of the I-Pace are awesome, but they can‘t touch the Porsche. The Porsche has ~635 lb./ft. of torque and a 0-60 time under 3 seconds. It’s in another category....

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
447 Posts
I interpreted this thread to mean what’s better than an I-Pace when considering electric vehicles. I don’t think that there’s an electric vehicle available today that is better than an I-Pace. If you expand the criteria to include ICE vehicles, then I would say my Porsche 911 is better. It’s difficult to compare them. They each serve a different purpose, and they are each awesome in their own way. The acceleration and torque of the I-Pace are awesome, but they can‘t touch the Porsche. The Porsche has ~635 lb./ft. of torque and a 0-60 time under 3 seconds. It’s in another category....
While I've never driven a 911, I will venture to question your definition of "better". No debating the numbers, but does a second less 0-60 make any "real world" difference. Not sure I've ever floored the I-Pace, and not sure when or if I'd need to.
Yes, better is a personal preference, but more expensive, smaller, less practical and an ICE. Forgive me for asking, but what am I missing?

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
309 Posts
Not sure I've ever floored the I-Pace
Still being a relative "newbie" with the I-Pace, I "punched it" to change lanes and get into the next lane while I still had a slim window prior to an upcoming left turn a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say the I-Pace was EXTREMELY willing to move at a very rapid rate forward and into the next lane. So willing, the dashboard started SCREAMING a warning sound and a big red caution symbol appeared on the display behind the steering wheel as I approached a car in the new lane I entered. I quickly let off the "go" pedal and the regen kicked in and slowed me down without incident (don't recall now if I used the brake as well and I didn't notice it braking itself). It ended up being quite an exciting maneuver that I've done countless times in the past, but obviously not with a kitty that loves to pounce like the I-Pace. Next time, a more gentle encouragement will be all that is needed.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
While I've never driven a 911, I will venture to question your definition of "better". No debating the numbers, but does a second less 0-60 make any "real world" difference. Not sure I've ever floored the I-Pace, and not sure when or if I'd need to.
Yes, better is a personal preference, but more expensive, smaller, less practical and an ICE. Forgive me for asking, but what am I missing?
I have heard of car preferences but haven’t heard any real - here is a better value and here’s why. Not sure if it’s a way for some to mention their other cars lol

If it’s not 4 door can you say it’s better than an I pace? This is a car you can comfortably drive people around in, it’s pretty crazy in my opinion

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I meant all vehicles so thank you for sharing. I feel like 911s are amazing cars, they aren’t cheap but they seem like a good value compared to other vehicles that can do what they do. Until the 2020 corvette 😃

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
84 Posts
Great question. It’s actually very rare that I floor the 911, as I’d end up at “arrest me” speed in less than 4 seconds. I brought that up simply because when taking about EVs, acceleration and torque often come into the discussion.

The real pleasure of driving the 911 comes when driving on a twisty mountain road, with the top down, listening to the wonderful exhaust note. It’s a true sports car, and it feels and handles like a sports car. That’s why it’s better for me. In terms of every day practicality, the I-Pace wins. I enjoy the I-Pace very much. However, in terms of pure fun, the 911 wins.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Still being a relative "newbie" with the I-Pace, I "punched it" to change lanes and get into the next lane while I still had a slim window prior to an upcoming left turn a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say the I-Pace was EXTREMELY willing to move at a very rapid rate forward and into the next lane. So willing, the dashboard started SCREAMING a warning sound and a big red caution symbol appeared on the display behind the steering wheel as I approached a car in the new lane I entered. I quickly let off the "go" pedal and the regen kicked in and slowed me down without incident (don't recall now if I used the brake as well and I didn't notice it braking itself). It ended up being quite an exciting maneuver that I've done countless times in the past, but obviously not with a kitty that loves to pounce like the I-Pace. Next time, a more gentle encouragement will be all that is needed.
Now Sir, it sounds to me like you are just not anticipating your upcoming turns, necessitating these wild last second maneuvers. I may just have to stay off the roads when you’re around. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
671 Posts
Great question. It’s actually very rare that I floor the 911, as I’d end up at “arrest me” speed in less than 4 seconds. I brought that up simply because when taking about EVs, acceleration and torque often come into the discussion.

The real pleasure of driving the 911 comes when driving on a twisty mountain road, with the top down, listening to the wonderful exhaust note. It’s a true sports car, and it feels and handles like a sports car. That’s why it’s better for me. In terms of every day practicality, the I-Pace wins. I enjoy the I-Pace very much. However, in terms of pure fun, the 911 wins.
I agree! While I found my 2017 911S to be not great as my everyday driver (as it was)...the sound, feel and looks of the car were totally amazing. It was a real PITA in and out of driveways though and over large speed bumps (I can close my eyes and still hear the scraping sounds, LOL). Also, on the freeway/highway.....when an 18 wheeler would be next to you, their ginormous wheels with spikes would be at eye level. Freaked me out to no end. I only kept my 911 about 5-6 months, but since I had always wanted one....I got it out of my system ;)

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
447 Posts

Thanks, I wasn't being critical of anyone's personal preferences, just wanting to get a sense of the difference a Porsche offers.
To my mind, there can be no definitive "best car" since there are so many varieties. Going in the opposite direction, the original VW Beetle, or the Citroen CV could easily be mentioned due to sales, longevity and simplicity.
Bottomline: a tad jealous of those out there with great daily alternatives to the I-Pace, but within my budget and needs kitty does everything I need and more. Perfect - no. Probably not even the best EV, if we factor in price, but considering performance, luxury and build/design - certainly one of the best options available.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
84 Posts
I didn't take it as being critical at all, but thanks for that. My true daily driver is a GMC Sierra Denali crew cab 4x4 truck. I love it for what it is, but it's very different from the I-Pace and the Porsche. My wife has the pleasure of driving the I-Pace much more than I do, but I always look forward to it when I have the opportunity. The Porsche is more of a weekend, nice weather car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What's better than an I-Pace....the new I-Pace with more responsive infotainment system with the faster processor and faster DC charging although that really all seem theoretical to me. I have never seen anyone who can charge an I-Pace in an hour.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
84 Posts
I've never charged my I-Pace at a DC fast charger when it needed a significant charge, but I used one when it was in the mid 40% SOC range, and it charged to 100% in well under an hour.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree! While I found my 2017 911S to be not great as my everyday driver (as it was)...the sound, feel and looks of the car were totally amazing. It was a real PITA in and out of driveways though and over large speed bumps (I can close my eyes and still hear the scraping sounds, LOL).
I agree with Deutsch100 on all points. On my 2nd 911, first one was a 991.1, second one is a 991.2 with 4.0L NA flat six. Such a joy to drive on the twisty roads and AutoX, but definitely not a daily driver for all of the reasons Deutsch100 mentioned.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wait just a minute... you’ve never floored the IPace?!? I might be driving mine wrong but I floor it daily, multiple times. This car is probably more exciting for me because I’ve not owned anything with similar performance. I can’t seem to drive in dynamic without speeding, it just goes and gets away from me 🤷🏼‍♂️. It’s my favorite mode but comfort keeps me out of trouble. I want to buy the 2020 corvette for my 40th but I need a truck and another daily driver, so it’s not looking good. I’m obsessed with good car values, it’s fun to look across the country and try to find deals. Maybe next year!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts