Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat in the 3, X, and S. Why do they all have such awful seats?

I got back in the ipace. I felt comfortable. Everything looked much, much nicer. I felt like a special snowflake.

Tesla is a company that mixes so much good with so much bad. It boggles the mind.

·
Registered
509 Posts

I got back in the ipace. I felt comfortable. Everything looked much, much nicer. I felt like a special snowflake.

Tesla is a company that mixes so much good with so much bad. It boggles the mind.
Did you mention that you are an I-Pace owner? Curious what reaction, questions, and/or comparisons they offered? I'm willing to bet Tesla salespeople know more about the I-Pace than most Jaguar salespeople! This thought has made me so curious I might just pay a visit to Tesla dealer myself...

·
Registered
245 Posts

I had the exact same impression after visiting and viewing the Tesla cars. I just couldn't stomach the interiors.
That said, I remain a big supporter of Tesla producing affordable long-range performance EVs at volume . . . somehow just
need to improve that interior space. -- Currently not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you mention that you are an I-Pace owner? Curious what reaction, questions, and/or comparisons they offered? I'm willing to bet Tesla salespeople know more about the I-Pace than most Jaguar salespeople! This thought has made me so curious I might just pay a visit to Tesla dealer myself...
I did not mention it to them. They did not notice the bright orange/red car parked in front. I just sat in the cars. They'd say hi, and I'd say hi back. I did not engage.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
OPPSS!! You've committed a sin. It is a fashion faux pas by calling a Tesla Dealer a Dealer. You are supposed to call them something else. Showroom? Staging area? Boutique? I'm not sure, but NEVER a Dealer.

And yes, the seats in the Model S (haven't tried the X or M3) are not so good, nor is the ingress or egress. Taller folk will find you nearly stumble out of the back seats. They forgot you use your hands to exit a car.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I hate the seats in the Model S loaner and the Model 3 (a friends) I drove had ok seats. But from everyone I've let ride or drive the Model S they all universally disliked the seats, from a little bit to a lot. Like most details that are not attended to in a Tesla this is yet another one of those things that no "luxury" brand would ever get wrong, but Tesla doesn't really seem to care outside of a cursory appearance oriented veneer. It just has to look like its luxury.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I could pass directly in front of a Tesla "boutique" (happy McRat?) and never feel the urge to sit in one. I've seen too much in photos and video. Opinions are subjective. Seat fit is personal. Quality issues can and have been documented.

That's not to say all other cars are way better. The two I have are way better but stuff slips through the cracks with any car maker. However, I don't have to drive tens or hundreds of miles to a repair place and wait weeks or sometimes months for a repair. Don't send a concierge to my house. I don't trust that kind of work and it won't be done on my property.

But for those who do try it, experience is your best gauge I guess. I only have time for so many experiences. I have to budget. Frankly, I'd rather do jury duty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Seats

I hate the seats in the Model S loaner and the Model 3 (a friends) I drove had ok seats. But from everyone I've let ride or drive the Model S they all universally disliked the seats, from a little bit to a lot. Like most details that are not attended to in a Tesla this is yet another one of those things that no "luxury" brand would ever get wrong, but Tesla doesn't really seem to care outside of a cursory appearance oriented veneer. It just has to look like its luxury.
We have a Model S and if we spend any significant time in it our backs are wracked with pain. We had to buy back supports which help a little. This is our second Model S. the first one from 2013 had ok seats but our current 2016 one has much worse seats. Interiors are definitely lacking comfort and refinement in Teslas. We put up with that because Tesla had no competition, but now our lease will soon end and I am looking for my next EV to not be a Tesla. I am here doing my due diligence on the I-pace and so far I like what I am learning. I can't wait to experience a comfortable, well-appointed interior we have been missing in the Teslas.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Definitely try all three seat types on I Pace when you test drive. The base and sport seats are both very comfortable, but I found for my guilt they pushed me forward at my shoulders. Ironically the performance seats, which are the least “cushy” fit me and friend much better. But all the seats are vastly better than any Tesla.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was once riding in the back seat of a Model S on a couple of hours journey. I discovered it was very uncomfortable and the main reason for me was the floor is elevated, so my knees are not at 90 degrees and instead more like 60 degrees with them being pushed into the air. Over that long ride my comfort level diminished and turned me off from that model. The Model X was just too expensive for such a shabby interior that felt smaller than our Ford Flex we were migrating from, could not justify paying for just the Tesla name. In the end, the iPace while smaller overall, did raise the comfort level of the occupants greatly and that is what sold me on it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife has back issues and is highly critical of most car seats. She loves the front seats in our Model 3. To each his own.
With average human sizing in mind, I doubt your wife is as tall as me. My 5' wife thought the lack of extendable leg support was just peachy.

OPPSS!! You've committed a sin. It is a fashion faux pas by calling a Tesla Dealer a Dealer. You are supposed to call them something else. Showroom? Staging area? Boutique? I'm not sure, but NEVER a Dealer.

And yes, the seats in the Model S (haven't tried the X or M3) are not so good, nor is the ingress or egress. Taller folk will find you nearly stumble out of the back seats. They forgot you use your hands to exit a car.
Ah, my bad. May the Musk forgive me. Once I had the Model 3 seat adjusted to its least uncomfortable position, I got out and hit my head on the way. Did not have this issue in the X or S.

We have a Model S and if we spend any significant time in it our backs are wracked with pain. We had to buy back supports which help a little. This is our second Model S. the first one from 2013 had ok seats but our current 2016 one has much worse seats. Interiors are definitely lacking comfort and refinement in Teslas. We put up with that because Tesla had no competition, but now our lease will soon end and I am looking for my next EV to not be a Tesla. I am here doing my due diligence on the I-pace and so far I like what I am learning. I can't wait to experience a comfortable, well-appointed interior we have been missing in the Teslas.
That's how I feel about our Subaru Forester. I hate the seats. Worse than the Model 3 for sure. My wife does complain about the location of seams on the ipace seat, but she also is like the princess and the pea when it comes to comfort.

I was once riding in the back seat of a Model S on a couple of hours journey. I discovered it was very uncomfortable and the main reason for me was the floor is elevated, so my knees are not at 90 degrees and instead more like 60 degrees with them being pushed into the air. Over that long ride my comfort level diminished and turned me off from that model. The Model X was just too expensive for such a shabby interior that felt smaller than our Ford Flex we were migrating from, could not justify paying for just the Tesla name. In the end, the iPace while smaller overall, did raise the comfort level of the occupants greatly and that is what sold me on it.
I have actually never been a passenger in a Tesla. Only one of our friends has one, and I've never been a passenger. However, in all fairness, the back seat of a Ford Flex is a cavernous space that should be more comfortable. Granted, I hate Ford seats. When I test drove cars back in 2013, I cross shopped the Fiat Abarth, FRS, and Focus ST. The Focus had, by far, the worst seats.

BMW sports seats in the 5 series and up are quite nice. Volvo seats are comfy but not as good for me. Mercedes does a nice job. JLR has good seats throughout, though the sedans are hard to get in and out of. Toyota is hit and miss. The FRS seats are alright, but not for long journeys. The 2018 Hybrid RAV 4 loaner I drove had the worst seats of any car I can remember. Our old Scion xA and my dad's xB were both just fine. You'd think seats would be easy to do by now, but noooooo.

·
Registered
264 Posts
With average human sizing in mind, I doubt your wife is as tall as me. My 5' wife thought the lack of extendable leg support was just peachy.
At 5'9" my wife is in the 97 %ile for women. I'm 6' (84 %ile for men). We both like the seats. I did a 700 mile one day trip (Supercharger enabled) and was completely comfortable.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
At 5'9" my wife is in the 97 %ile for women. I'm 6' (84 %ile for men). We both like the seats. I did a 700 mile one day trip (Supercharger enabled) and was completely comfortable.
I rode 12 hours in the bed of a pickup when I was young. It doesn't mean much. The Jaguars do in fact have better seats than Teslas.

I can acknowledge the shortcomings of car models. This is not something that can be said for everyone.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Then you have made the right car choice, but you and your wife do seem to be in the minority of opinions here anyway. Asking a Tesla owner if they like the car is a self selecting populaton as its known, the answer should be skewed towards yes!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I rode 12 hours in the bed of a pickup when I was young. It doesn't mean much. The Jaguars do in fact have better seats than Teslas.

I can acknowledge the shortcomings of car models. This is not something that can be said for everyone.
I HATED the seats in my 2012 Model S Signature. Absolutely no side support. You sat on them, not in them. It was the worst feature of the car and I was vocal about it. I looked into having them rebuilt by an upholstery shop but decided it was too expensive.

I like the seats in the Model 3. That's why I don't see them as a shortcoming. It's that simple.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It was simple for me. I never owned a Tesla or and I pace. I Own Hummer, Land Rover and BMW X5 and 650i. I like good cars and an interior that looks and feels like a good car. I like performance and a unique look and feel. I went to Atlanta to Lenox Mall to check it out... 6 times. The outside seemed OK, I wasn’t blown away, but sleek enough. However, there Gull wings were a show stopper and a show ender! Wow, a fresh new look, stylish, got inside.. for 120K a bit to minimal look for me. Biggest IPad ever to drive the vehicle... that’s different, then got out and the doors closed.. NOT FLUSH.. what, checked another one... same thing. 120-150K and the doors aren’t flush... that would drive me up a wall. I love what Tesla has done, but sometime you can over play your hand, they need to be Microsoft not IBM. They could be the guts to every electric car and let CAR builders build cars. I’m 3 weeks away from my Ipace, I am not a fit for Tesla

·
Registered
140 Posts
The story goes Elon fired Tesla's seat manufacturer on the spot after he found the seats in the X(or may have been S) uncomfortable. So he decided to build their own seats. And they literally took measurements and built the seats around his body because he was testing prototypes, etc and would fire people on the spot if it didn't fit him perfectly.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The story goes Elon fired Tesla's seat manufacturer on the spot after he found the seats in the X(or may have been S) uncomfortable. So he decided to build their own seats. And they literally took measurements and built the seats around his body because he was testing prototypes, etc and would fire people on the spot if it didn't fit him perfectly.
I just skimmed a Teslacentric Referral Point Blog and they indicated Teslas makes the world's finest seats bar none. 120 years of technology and experience, craftsmen could not begin to match Elon on his sewing machine at 3am Sunday night. I was simply unaware of what a perfect seat was supposed to be? https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/22/teslas-seat-heaven-home-of-teslas-cloud-like-seats/
Not even a Maybach, Bentley, Rolls, could hold a candle to it. They literally used fluffy cumulus clouds instead of foam.
Sadly, the Model S I checked out must have had aftermarket Chinese knock-offs that looked just like Teslon (Tesla x Elon) seats.

Whether or not I buy a Tesla, I don't trust Tesla, since nearly all data comes from sycophants, apologists, or just plain liars. My first worry was the 762 HP debacle. Tesla and all their Bloggers and oddly car magazines, unleashed a 762 HP storm that was basically a carpet bombing of the internet, with the important fact that Tesla had the most powerful mass produced sedan for sale.

It was never 762 horsepower, certainly not the MS P85DL which they insisted was. In a perfect world, the motors could yield 762 HP for a number of seconds if the drive electronics, cabling, and battery was available. But they were not. In fact, it is highly like a few sedans pushed more peak power than the P85DL sold to retail buyers, if not the 10 second press car as well.

And the November 2016 Full Autonomy Video put out to the entire world with huge fanfare was just a plain lie. I imagined somebody got fired when Elon found out AV testing in California is a matter of public record, and the records shown had done virtually no testing and what little they did was unsuccessful except just 1 run. Just enough effort to piece together a video for investors with the disclaimer "PENDING REGULATORY APPROVAL". Now we know the hardware necessary for AV wasn't in the car. How the test was actually done remains one of Tesla's deepest darkest secrets. Most likely it was trained and geo-fenced.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm all for Tesla succeeding, but did not find their seats comfortable. Hence, I went w/ my i-Pace. The Tesla interiors are also just in general not up to the luxury standards of Jaguar. I hope this changes for Tesla's sake.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts