Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was super excited about the iPace, and still am to a degree. I drove an i3 for 5 years and was one of the first to get one. We were also the first to get a FPace in Oregon so made the effort to be a "first adopter" and gamble that concept... It was really tough for me. I really wanted an iPace but a couple things - after having a backup range extending generator in the i3, I don't know if I could settle on a a pure EV. But I seriously considered it. But I hate all the wheels they offer for it (sorry, just personal preference) and personally I really like the looks of the iPace but not as much as my XK, which I love.

I still thought about it. I know it's a rocketship, but anything as fast as the i3 is okay with me. If I absolutely need speed or the sound of a ICE engine I can get it out of my system with the XK or FPace-S. After reading about all the problems, I decided last month to put off any notion of an iPace at least for now until they fix all the problems and have better wheel choices.

Not to diss Jag because I sure hope they continue building great looking cars and I've been a hardcore Jag fan my whole life, there's been 1 or 2 Jags in the garage for the last 20 years.

I decided however to get something else with excellent looks for the time being that has an interior that's even nicer than my XK and way nicer than the FPace. I bought a 2016 ELR and it's super nice and it's twice as nice as I thought it would be. It's only rated 39 miles per charge but I always get 47 to 48. And I can drop into gas mode at the touch of a button and get over 35 mpg. And the problems - there's just not any. I read every forum post and like every problem is either one module (the BCM at $180 if off warranty) or you pull the negative battery post and reset the system and that takes care of anything.. Extremely reliable and handles great (the 2016 is miles better than the 2014 in performance improvements). I am so happy with this car.

I hope Jag offers some more models with some lesser prices. I REALLY wish they could team up with BMW and offer a backup generator using their small range extender or something along those lines. I always forget to plug in my car so having the generator in the i3 (which I sold) or the ELR is great. I'd love to see an EPace gone electric with a smaller range perhaps and knock off $20k... But for now, I'm going to stick with my ELR.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Is that a '16? Let me know when it's for sale in that case. I might want it. I like the wheels."

Yes sir, that's a 2016. The 2016 had a lot of improvements, more power and faster to name just a few. There's like less than 500 in North America so you sure won't see one very often. I have only seen 2 2014's in Portland ever, and no 2016s... I like having a rare car. In fact when we bought our FPace, we didn't see another for 6 months!

Right now on the used market there's more white ones than anything else, mostly lease returns. What's cool is that these cars came with a really good looking wheel, and black ones are just the $h*t.

I didn't know anything about the Voltec powertrain, but I highly respect the technology on these cars now - the specs are conservative, and you can drive them in D or L which is like a normal car in D or like an i3 regen in L mode. Or you can drive it in hold mode for using just gas, or sport mode where it can use gas and the battery for more take off power, or of course "mountain mode" to generate more battery power before climbing steep grades. Yes, like a Volt but with way more tweaks, power and bigger electric motors.

2 things I didn't know about these cars until after buying it - the battery when depleted is still about 20% full and when "topped off" only about 80%. So you always have a huge buffer when you need extra power when you're just on gas, and if you took off down a hill you'd get all the regen power created in your top 20 as in "there's someplace for it to go". The 20/80 thing makes the battery last a long long time, rather than trying to get every last mile for range claims. But the other thing that just is the best feature ever is the Regen on demand, which really isn't explained very well. Simply put, you always have regen when in L mode like the i3 or IPace, but when you pull back the paddle, you get twice the regen and way more juice back into the battery. If you hate using your brakes... wow this the best feature especially if you live or drive in hilly areas. I like this feature so much that whenever I drive ANY car now I am bummed there's no regen paddle to reach for when I'm slowing to a stop. In my opinion this is something that should eventually be in ALL cars to save brakes and store energy!

Reactions: Mister Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have both!

DUDE..... seriously - you ROCK!

I really wanted a red one... but way more rare on a 2016. I couldn't wait, I had to get an ELR now and went with black, which is always a great color on sporty cars...

Also, the rareness increases if you want to buy one with CPO status which cuts down the field considerably. I wanted the warranty, so had to buy mine from Ohio and have it shipped to Oregon ($1100). But heck, I got 60,000 more miles of warranty and 3 more years so that's a great piece of mind....

BTW, if I did buy an iPace, I'd get the wheels you have. Love your blue color! :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts

This is what a car that followed the styling of its concept version looks like. I'm sure GM was crapping bricks about it. They almost never do that with any car.

Had they marketed it, and gave some thought to price discount as they did with the Volt it could have been a winner. I have yet to run into anyone who could not like everything about this car with the exception of the CUE system.

Used '16s are going for ~$30k. It's still not cheap.

·
Registered
580 Posts
DUDE..... seriously - you ROCK!

I really wanted a red one... but way more rare on a 2016. I couldn't wait, I had to get an ELR now and went with black, which is always a great color on sporty cars...

Also, the rareness increases if you want to buy one with CPO status which cuts down the field considerably. I wanted the warranty, so had to buy mine from Ohio and have it shipped to Oregon ($1100). But heck, I got 60,000 more miles of warranty and 3 more years so that's a great piece of mind....

BTW, if I did buy an iPace, I'd get the wheels you have. Love your blue color! :smile2:
We got the ELR CPO with 15,800 miles. Shipped it from Michigan to California.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had they marketed it, and gave some thought to price discount as they did with the Volt it could have been a winner. I have yet to run into anyone who could not like everything about this car with the exception of the CUE system.

Used '16s are going for ~$30k. It's still not cheap.

I know what you mean about the CUE system, because we had a 2014 SRX and I hated it... But the 2016 is just miles better and way more responsive. I actually like it now - zero complaints, gets texts and even the picture you have associated with that contact shows up on the screen. The navigation is the best of any car I've ever owned - by far, including the FPace and XK.

Yes they're running around $29k to $35k depending on miles (of course) but ACC, Kona seats, performance package and CPO. I don't think that's too high, less than half the cost of the 2016 price for a super quality car. I jumped the second the car specs I wanted dropped to under $30k. I then added the wheels, wheel caps, Weathertech mats, etc.. - the usual!

The funniest thing is all the negative reviews, and then go research the car on the internet - all you will find is 5 star reviews from the people who actually own them, who understand what the car is and what the car isn't. :nerd:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with your sentiments on the range extender. While my i3 had relatively short range, the ReX option gave me peace of mind. Namely when we had our two kids bundled up in -20 winter weather and my wife looked over at the dash late at night for the out-of-town ride home and asked me nervously ‘Do we have enough to get home?’. It was nice to be able to say, ‘yup no prob—we always have the backup generator’ after which she promptly fell asleep.

She still looks at the dash in the iPace but doesn’t ask the question as much anymore. Still, would be nice to have the option...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with your sentiments on the range extender. While my i3 had relatively short range, the ReX option gave me peace of mind. Namely when we had our two kids bundled up in -20 winter weather and my wife looked over at the dash late at night for the out-of-town ride home and asked me nervously ‘Do we have enough to get home?’. It was nice to be able to say, ‘yup no prob—we always have the backup generator’ after which she promptly fell asleep.

She still looks at the dash in the iPace but doesn’t ask the question as much anymore. Still, would be nice to have the option...

It certainly would. It's just not THAT hard, especially when there's already so much tech out there related to the ReX. What is so cool about the i3 purchase is they give you the option. Don't want to pay for it? - no problem! Then get an i3 with a pure battery only and in place of the generator they give you a heat pump for better climate control. But if you do want it, pay another $4500 and get the piece of mind and range anxiety problem solver. People LOVE options. Give us the option. I'd ALWAYS pay for that option. They sell a heck of a lot more ReX i3's than non-ReX, so what does that say? How many more electric cars would they sell if they all had that option? Getting an I-Pace would a lot more realistic for me if they offered the backup. I'd surely give up some rear space for it if it came down to that, but that's just me.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I definitely see the appeal of the hybrid systems. I just prefer the purity of electric.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts