Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the strangest thing and I wonder if anyone else has experienced it and/or has an explanation.

Sitting in the driver's seat (UK right hand drive so I am sitting in the right hand front seat) I have started to hear a vibration coming from what sounds like the far left side of the dash somewhere above the glove compartment. In fact I could swear it comes from there. My wife and my son on another occasion hear the same vibration noise when they are sitting in the front passenger seat. The only thing is that to them it is coming from the extreme front right of the dash, in other words somewhere to my right!!!! All of this is at standard running speeds of 30 miles an hour plus

Then, just to check whether it was me or she that was going mad my wife leaned over the centre console towards me and she too then heard the vibration coming from her side.

I have heard of weird acoustics but what the **** is this all about?

Anyone got any explanations or experienced this themselves? More's to the point how can one stop it as it is dead annoying?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Rattles can be absolutely maddening to isolate, let alone eliminate. I eventually gave up trying to find them in my Tesla. Fortunately it's rare to hear rattles in the I-Pace from what I'm reading.

Do you hear this vibration only on rough roads or all the time. The noises that are constant are usually easier to identify.

·
Registered
692 Posts
This is the strangest thing and I wonder if anyone else has experienced it and/or has an explanation.

Sitting in the driver's seat (UK right hand drive so I am sitting in the right hand front seat) I have started to hear a vibration coming from what sounds like the far left side of the dash somewhere above the glove compartment. In fact I could swear it comes from there. My wife and my son on another occasion hear the same vibration noise when they are sitting in the front passenger seat. The only thing is that to them it is coming from the extreme front right of the dash, in other words somewhere to my right!!!! All of this is at standard running speeds of 30 miles an hour plus

Then, just to check whether it was me or she that was going mad my wife leaned over the centre console towards me and she too then heard the vibration coming from her side.

I have heard of weird acoustics but what the **** is this all about?

Anyone got any explanations or experienced this themselves? More's to the point how can one stop it as it is dead annoying?
The only time I had a dash noise was from something trapped between the dash and windshield. I could only see it from outside the car while looking through the windshield with a flashlight. Best of luck finding the source as noises drive me nuts!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
So how long have you owned your I-Pace and has this noise been apparent since your first day of ownership? Have you removed every thing from the glove box and then drove with the glove box door open to see if it gets louder? Do all road surfaces result in the noise? Is it quiet until you get to 30+ mph? Can you post a video with the sound so we all can hear and maybe some one will recognize it? All rattles & squeaks can be annoying, EV or ICE. Silence is golden!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have owned my iPace for 18 months and the vibration has only become apparent in the last month or so. It has nothing to do with the road surface as it is evident on smooth highway or suburban streets and I don't take the car off-road. A few people on the UK site said they had something similar but then discovered they had a pair of glasses or a flashlight in the glasses compartment in the roof but my glasses compartment is empty. The only thing I have in the glove compartment is the handbook and it definitely isn't the kind of noise you would get from that as the vibration sounds more metallic. And then of course there is the mystery of the acoustics which makes the sound appear from totally different sides of the car depending on which seat you are sitting in. Next time I drive the car I will try to record the noise on my phone and post it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The acoustics issue is not something unique to the I-Pace. Every car I've owned that was plagued with rattles or some other type of noise, was invariably difficult to isolate. One person would hear it on one side of the car, others at another point. With so many reflective surfaces in a car, it's not surprising these noises are hard to isolate. The fact that you hear it all the time is actually a huge advantage in isolating it. Many times these noises are intermittent, making them near impossible to locate.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have owned my iPace for 18 months and the vibration has only become apparent in the last month or so. It has nothing to do with the road surface as it is evident on smooth highway or suburban streets and I don't take the car off-road. A few people on the UK site said they had something similar but then discovered they had a pair of glasses or a flashlight in the glasses compartment in the roof but my glasses compartment is empty. The only thing I have in the glove compartment is the handbook and it definitely isn't the kind of noise you would get from that as the vibration sounds more metallic. And then of course there is the mystery of the acoustics which makes the sound appear from totally different sides of the car depending on which seat you are sitting in. Next time I drive the car I will try to record the noise on my phone and post it.
A metallic noise could be coming from outside the cabin, either the suspension or something in the frunk that radiates into the interior.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Look forward to the recording. Maybe among all us we will learn something and be able to help. One thing about this forum most every body tries to help when possible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had one, it turned out to be one of the plastic coverings in the "engine" compartment not being secured properly. Drove me nuts, it would only happen at higher speeds, when the wind whipped through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts