Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since day 1 of delivery, my lower screen has always been set to Climate. In fact, I did not even know until a several days ago that it could be set to show Media or Telephone.

Just for fun, 2 days ago I set the lower screen to Media for like 15 seconds. I didn't care for the looks, so I set it back to Climate.

Now...EVERY time I start my I-Pace the lower screen goes to Media, instead of Climate.

Before trying Media for that maybe 15 seconds, EVERY start up the screen would be in Climate.

Any idea what happened, and why it defaults to Media now upon start up instead of Climate?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lower screen has a setting button - top left - this allows you to choose a default appearance for this screen ie climate, media, telephone, seats etc or even use "last screen used" - yours will either be last screen used or more likely set to media?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solved it this a.m. I spent about 10 mins (which I should have done in the 1st place, my apologies) reading the manual. While a confusing manual, as all are....there is actually a Setting for "Start Up" info/display for the lower center/middle screen.

Start up Display has several options, and mine somehow changed from Climate to Media, when I tried the Media for 15 seconds :) Back to Climate now.

So, if this happens to you....there is a fix! The I-Pace is the first car in decades that I have not "mastered" with a day or two. I'm still learning. This car and the Tesla....not so intuitive. LOL

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lower screen has a setting button - top left - this allows you to choose a default appearance for this screen ie climate, media, telephone, seats etc or even use "last screen used" - yours will either be last screen used or more likely set to media?
Thank you. You're right :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Since day 1 of delivery, my lower screen has always been set to Climate. In fact, I did not even know until a several days ago that it could be set to show Media or Telephone.

Just for fun, 2 days ago I set the lower screen to Media for like 15 seconds. I didn't care for the looks, so I set it back to Climate.

Now...EVERY time I start my I-Pace the lower screen goes to Media, instead of Climate.

Before trying Media for that maybe 15 seconds, EVERY start up the screen would be in Climate.

Any idea what happened, and why it defaults to Media now upon start up instead of Climate?

Thanks!
LOL. Newbie problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Solved it this a.m. I spent about 10 mins (which I should have done in the 1st place, my apologies) reading the manual.

The I-Pace is the first car in decades that I have not "mastered" with a day or two. I'm still learning. This car and the Tesla....not so intuitive. LOL
It really would benefit you to spend some more time with the manual. You're right that the systems in the I-Pace can be complex and unintuitive, and there are some mysteries that are not explained in the manual, but many of the newbie questions that have been asked ARE explained in the manual. When I got mine I read the manual start to finish and it helped greatly. Not everyone wants to take the time to do that but at least look through the sections that explain things like charging, media, and parking aids. There is a lot they can do that may not be obvious without reading about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Solved it this a.m. I spent about 10 mins (which I should have done in the 1st place, my apologies) reading the manual.

The I-Pace is the first car in decades that I have not "mastered" with a day or two. I'm still learning. This car and the Tesla....not so intuitive. LOL

It really would benefit you to spend some more time with the manual. You're right that the systems in the I-Pace can be complex and unintuitive, and there are some mysteries that are not explained in the manual, but many of the newbie questions that have been asked ARE explained in the manual. When I got mine I read the manual start to finish and it helped greatly. Not everyone wants to take the time to do that but at least look through the sections that explain things like charging, media, and parking aids. There is a lot they can do that may not be obvious without reading about it.
What are some examples of things that I-Pace can do that you find neat that would not be obvious without reading the manual? I want to give your “best of” list a try!

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts

What are some examples of things that I-Pace can do that you find neat that would not be obvious without reading the manual? I want to give your “best of” list a try!
I have never read an owner’s manual of any vehicle...I would rather read a novel.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never read an owner’s manual of any vehicle...I would rather read a novel.
In all the cars I have had in the past 25 years (I will never say how many, as most of you will think I need a lobotomy), I have only actually read the manual maybe 2-3x. The last time was my 2019 BMW i3S. I hate to admit it, but I actually learned a few really important things, that really helped me enjoy the car and features more. Seems the I-Pace might be a car that RTFM might help ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
In all the cars I have had in the past 25 years (I will never say how many, as most of you will think I need a lobotomy), I have only actually read the manual maybe 2-3x. The last time was my 2019 BMW i3S. I hate to admit it, but I actually learned a few really important things, that really helped me enjoy the car and features more. Seems the I-Pace might be a car that RTFM might help [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
My relationship to any given car is fleeting at best. It is a rare car I’ve kept for more than 2 years. I’m sure the manual could prove helpful, I just can’t maintain interest past about 2 pages. After that I would be reading, but not listening to myself read...

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
I tend to keep cars until they are nearly unusable or parts are getting scarce to keep them running. (Anyone have an interest in a 96 Land Rover Discovery SE? Main issues are wheel well rust and the usual engine oil leaks.) As a result I usually become familiar with every detail of them. Some I could probably take completely apart and then put them all back together without using a manual. I also have a highly retentive memory.

Now come to the modern vehicle like the I-pace. The i-guide produced for it by Jaguar is very useful for people who read manuals like Dantrium. It has a search function and many questions posed in these forums are quickly answered with a quick search. I highly recommend to all forum members downloading it to your smartphone and searching it. It can also be used to cure insomnia.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
When I took delivery the manual was pretty short. It has gotten longer over time, but the only way to figure it all out is to sit parked and play with the settings. At 16,000 miles I probably had it 90% figured out. :-D

Sadly, it appears I will soon start working on decoding another car. I don't think the patient survived the surgery. :-(

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I took delivery the manual was pretty short. It has gotten longer over time, but the only way to figure it all out is to sit parked and play with the settings. At 16,000 miles I probably had it 90% figured out. :-D

Sadly, it appears I will soon start working on decoding another car. I don't think the patient survived the surgery. :-(
:( Surgery was not successful? Oh no. So sorry!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I tend to keep cars until they are nearly unusable or parts are getting scarce to keep them running. (Anyone have an interest in a 96 Land Rover Discovery SE? Main issues are wheel well rust and the usual engine oil leaks.) As a result I usually become familiar with every detail of them. Some I could probably take completely apart and then put them all back together without using a manual. I also have a highly retentive memory.

Now come to the modern vehicle like the I-pace. The i-guide produced for it by Jaguar is very useful for people who read manuals like Dantrium. It has a search function and many questions posed in these forums are quickly answered with a quick search. I highly recommend to all forum members downloading it to your smartphone and searching it. It can also be used to cure insomnia.
If you are willing to pay $500USD for the one year subscription in Topix, you can get access to the shop manual. It covers a lot, but there are actions that require Jaguar tools, like Pathfinder, to complete diagnostic steps. You do get the benefit of tear down and assembly.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sure! Here are some examples.

1. In my Tesla Model S I liked the fact that if I pressed the brake pedal down hard after a stop it would activate brake hold and I could take my foot off without the car rolling, and when you press the accelerator to start going again it releases the hold. When I got the I-Pace this was something I really missed, until I saw in the manual that you can set the brake the same way by pushing the parking brake control and it works the same by automatically releasing the hold when you accelerate to move again. Was very happy to find this in the manual.

2. It's not completely obvious what all the settings do without an explanation from the user manual. For instance air purity. Some cars have an extra ozone generator that you can set to be on or off or can route air through secondary filters if set to. Is it that? No. A quick search in the online manual and you find out it measures the outside air quality and turns on the recirc sooner if you choose higher air purity. Not something I would have guessed given the more advanced air purity systems in other cars.

3. There are a lot of little icons and it's hard to tell what they are trying to communicate. Parking assist has little icons of cars halfway in spaces but you have to select different ones if you want it to assist you with going in or going out. I have not tried using this yet but I definitely wanted to read how you're supposed to use it and what it does and not try to figure it out for the first time while I'm trying to get a parking space with a line of impatient drivers behind me waiting for me to be out of their way! Another example is the efficiency icons on the driving status for speed, acceleration, and braking. Maybe it's just me but I had no idea what some of those icons meant, and until I read the manual I also didn't know the number next to them in MyEV indicated efficiency with the top of the scale being 5. An icon I don't understand and the number 4.2 next to it is meaningless without some kind of explanation.

A lot of thought went into the features of this car (even if some of them miss the mark a little), and it's worthwhile to read the documentation about the features and how they work instead of just guessing or not knowing. The online owne's manual is searchable and a quick way to find easy answers to many questions.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sure! Here are some examples.

1. In my Tesla Model S I liked the fact that if I pressed the brake pedal down hard after a stop it would activate brake hold and I could take my foot off without the car rolling, and when you press the accelerator to start going again it releases the hold. When I got the I-Pace this was something I really missed, until I saw in the manual that you can set the brake the same way by pushing the parking brake control and it works the same by automatically releasing the hold when you accelerate to move again. Was very happy to find this in the manual.

2. It's not completely obvious what all the settings do without an explanation from the user manual. For instance air purity. Some cars have an extra ozone generator that you can set to be on or off or can route air through secondary filters if set to. Is it that? No. A quick search in the online manual and you find out it measures the outside air quality and turns on the recirc sooner if you choose higher air purity. Not something I would have guessed given the more advanced air purity systems in other cars.

3. There are a lot of little icons and it's hard to tell what they are trying to communicate. Parking assist has little icons of cars halfway in spaces but you have to select different ones if you want it to assist you with going in or going out. I have not tried using this yet but I definitely wanted to read how you're supposed to use it and what it does and not try to figure it out for the first time while I'm trying to get a parking space with a line of impatient drivers behind me waiting for me to be out of their way! Another example is the efficiency icons on the driving status for speed, acceleration, and braking. Maybe it's just me but I had no idea what some of those icons meant, and until I read the manual I also didn't know the number next to them in MyEV indicated efficiency with the top of the scale being 5. An icon I don't understand and the number 4.2 next to it is meaningless without some kind of explanation.

A lot of thought went into the features of this car (even if some of them miss the mark a little), and it's worthwhile to read the documentation about the features and how they work instead of just guessing or not knowing. The online owne's manual is searchable and a quick way to find easy answers to many questions.
You just answered the Air Purity/Ionizer/Recirc for me. Today a disgusting, old diesel work van keep spewing out the most disgusting white diesel smoke....I mean you could taste it. I kept thinking...why does this not have an auto recirc like some other high end Euro cars. A-ha. I guess I have to read the **** manual!! Thank you!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts