Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
So I updated to latest version, deleted, reinstalled and still never get past the looping login page. What would you like me to test?

·
Registered
1 Posts
TCU values and what do they mean

It's the first time I've heard about it. TCU values show up for me and I've also had H264 done.
I have just subscribed to WattCat and am enjoying the app. I bought my I Pace just before Christmas but I get the impression software needs further update. Does anyone know what the latest TCU versions are as they appear in WattCat and how will we know when they get updated in future? It would be great if WattCat could keep a track of these developments for us and let us know what version relates to what.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know my car has had TCU updates but version information has never changed in WattCat. WattCat displays info from the JLR servers so JLR may not be updating that information.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Since installing H264 I'm seeing a direct correlation between the SoC drop and WattCat reported kWh consumption. For every 1% drop in SoC there's a drop of 1 kWh. Mathematically this is incorrect. During the period since my last charge the SoC has dropped 26% and WattCat reports 26 kWh consumed. At 100% I started with 83 kWh so a loss of 26 kWh should result in a loss of 30% SoC.

The issue is trying to determine range. On this charge, I've traveled 51.8 miles. If SoC is correct I have a range of 215 miles. If the WattCat kWh figure is correct my range is 181 miles - a significant difference.

I'll continue to track this issue but I'm wondering if there's an explanation and whether to believe SoC or WattCat's kWh numbers.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
You really have to do a proper correlation analysis and not just rely on a couple of data points. Here are two sets of measurements, one discharge (drives) and one L2 charging. Each data point is taken at regular intervals (charging) or at the end/beginning of drives (discharging).

In my case, remarkably, the slope is 1.23 for both charging and discharging. I.e., for each kWh added or driven, you got or spent 1.23% SoC. [There's an intercept issue but that must have something to do how they report SoC vs capacity, so best to ignore.]

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
oops forgot the attachments

N.B.: "API" stands for "Application Programming Interface", which is just to say that this comes from JLR's real time database, which WattCat accesses.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
You really have to do a proper correlation analysis and not just rely on a couple of data points. Here are two sets of measurements, one discharge (drives) and one L2 charging. Each data point is taken at regular intervals (charging) or at the end/beginning of drives (discharging).

In my case, remarkably, the slope is 1.23 for both charging and discharging. I.e., for each kWh added or driven, you got or spent 1.23% SoC. [There's an intercept issue but that must have something to do how they report SoC vs capacity, so best to ignore.]
Before H264 I was seeing the same slope 1.23:1 and although preliminary, I'm now seeing 1:1 after 3 charging/discharging cycles. I understand WattCat is pulling data from the API so it's not really a WattCat issue but this is where I see available battery kWh. I don't understand why the change or what to believe - SoC or kWh when determining range.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Battery health is directly derived from the API so I'm not doing any magic math here. However, the health can be impacted by a number of temporary factors so make sure you charge your car up to 100% and let it sit there plugged in for a while so that the cells rebalance. This only happens at 100% SoC while plugged in for now. Will change in the future.

Why WattCat is more responsive and faster than the official app is hard to give a definite answer to. I haven't really tried the new one as it's not available here but the old legacy app is pretty clunky and I'm generally not a fan. Obviously ^^

Glad you like WattCat 🙂
ardevd,

Hello before I ask a question, I would like to thank you for your contribution to allow owners have a better idea on their batteries state and condition.

I recently installed JuiceBox's Next Gen wall unit and I noticed that after the full charge cycle is completed, in a few minutes the I Pace calls for a charge again then it starts up puts in .025 if a Kw then shuts back off and it will do this for 15 -20 cycles. Is this a defect of the Juicebox or is the BMS just topping off the battery to balance the set. I was under the impression the pack was balanced using internal resistors.

I included an image of this cycling below. This chart represents plugging in the Ipace for a 30 min pre-heat which ends at 8:30 and the Juicebox begins to top off the battery around 8:35 and completes the charge around 8:53. From there 15 short charge sessions begin until 9:00.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
385 Posts
I recently installed JuiceBox's Next Gen wall unit and I noticed that after the full charge cycle is completed, in a few minutes the I Pace calls for a charge again then it starts up puts in .025 if a Kw then shuts back off and it will do this for 15 -20 cycles. Is this a defect of the Juicebox or is the BMS just topping off the battery to balance the set. I was under the impression the pack was balanced using internal resistors.
Normal behavior as the battery charging does a balancing procedure. Nothing wrong with the JB charger. It happens with the AC charging but doesn't happen with the DC charging.
When the DC charging hits the "100%" mark, both car and charger stop the charging process.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
No such thing I'm afraid.
Would it be difficult to put it on Wear OS? I'd love to have some of the features on my watch.
It's on the list but I can't guarantee anything. WearOS is in a bit of a messy state right now and most users I've had requesting the feature turns out to run Galaxy Wear watches which do not run WearOS at all 😉

·
Registered
83 Posts
Normal behavior as the battery charging does a balancing procedure. Nothing wrong with the JB charger. It happens with the AC charging but doesn't happen with the DC charging.
When the DC charging hits the "100%" mark, both car and charger stop the charging process.

Thanks for the reply- although it seems strange that neither of two BMW I3's (64/120) or our ELR or Volt have that after an end of charge. I did mention it to JuiceBox and they are somewhat stumped. I was under the impression that balancing on the IPace pack occurs by shunting higher cells to discharge them to match the others.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
247 Posts
Battery Guru needed

I have a question regarding how temperature affects battery energy as measured in kWh. I left the house this morning with WattCat reporting 40.5 kWh and came home after a 6.5 mile drive with 43.95 kWh showing - a gain of nearly 3.5 kWh. The ambient temperature was 20 deg F warmer (50 deg F) than the previous 10 days or so. Can warmer temps account for the significant "gain" in kWh as energy is denser in warmer environments? Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a question regarding how temperature affects battery energy as measured in kWh. I left the house this morning with WattCat reporting 40.5 kWh and came home after a 6.5 mile drive with 43.95 kWh showing - a gain of nearly 3.5 kWh. The ambient temperature was 20 deg F warmer (50 deg F) than the previous 10 days or so. Can warmer temps account for the significant "gain" in kWh as energy is denser in warmer environments? Thanks!
Curt here's a short piece I did on lithium "Self-Heating" which might help explain reaction of lithium to temperature.

Mike

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just glanced at the last few months of charge graphs on my JB and I never saw something like that. It usually goes pretty constant at 7’ish kW then one or two short drops to 0, then a slow drop from 4 to 2 as the charge completes. No spiking after than other than when I may have turned on the remote climate just before disconnecting. Might be related to your unusual battery data?

141 - 160 of 183 Posts