Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
221 - 240 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
So, some news and a request for comments.

The next major version of WattCat will focus on integrating route planner functionality. I'm currently working on destination management, adding and deleting destinations. I'll hopefully be able to provide more functionality than what the official route planner app does, including the ability to name a destination. It has always annoyed me how I have to do this through the car Infotainment currently.

:

Finally, if anyone have any suggestions on this feature, please do share.

I've also passed along a reminder to the navigation team @ JLR about the fact that we have to constantly sign in to our navigation accounts in the vehicle Infotainment. I'm hoping this gets fixed soon.
What I have been using as a crutch, is a google sheet where I let you put in a list of destinations, and distances. And, I show how much will be used in each leg. As I travel, I can have the car polled (using your API's) to get the mileage & SOC and I update the display in my sheet with the expected SOC at each destination based on the average rate of Battery % usage per mile (since the start of my trip). Averages are fine for "planning", but as you're going you should use the CURRENT %/Mile usage reflecting today's conditions (temp, heat or A/C use, winds, hills, etc...). I also allow you to enter in the sheet "at destination X, I am going to charge back up to Y%" ... and then adjust all future leg SOC %'s based on that. I can share this sheet if you like.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,242 Posts
Since you've integrated the ability to call the roadside assistance and stolen vehicle tracking phone numbers, in some future edition can you find a way to remove the "+1" (US obviously) from the number, or give an option to remove the "country/region" prefix?

My reason for asking is that the Jaguar app has that added on too. However, when I tried it back at the end of last year the phone didn't like that. It doesn't want that code unless dialing outside the country/region. It would have been user friendly for the phone/mobile service to be smart enough to ignore it, but it wasn't.

I realize it could be a challenge due to the format/length of phone numbers throughout the world. It is NOT a priority item. I hope I never have to use the feature again. ;)

Thank you for all you've done with the app.

·
Administrator
3,258 Posts
Since you've integrated the ability to call the roadside assistance and stolen vehicle tracking phone numbers, in some future edition can you find a way to remove the "+1" (US obviously) from the number, or give an option to remove the "country/region" prefix?

My reason for asking is that the Jaguar app has that added on too. However, when I tried it back at the end of last year the phone didn't like that. It doesn't want that code unless dialing outside the country/region. It would have been user friendly for the phone/mobile service to be smart enough to ignore it, but it wasn't.

I realize it could be a challenge due to the format/length of phone numbers throughout the world. It is NOT a priority item. I hope I never have to use the feature again. ;)

Thank you for all you've done with the app.
I just called roadside assistance to test this (and hung up immediately) ... it works fine with my provider (Verizon) and phone (pixel 4). In fact, I've made it a habit to store all US numbers with +1 so that dialing to the US when I'm out of the country is easy.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I just called roadside assistance to test this (and hung up immediately) ... it works fine with my provider (Verizon) and phone (pixel 4). In fact, I've made it a habit to store all US numbers with +1 so that dialing to the US when I'm out of the country is easy.
Good for you!

However, not all phones and services are created alike. There was no way on my (now old) phone and service to get it to work. I had to write down the number and then dial it without the 1.
Thus it would need to be an option for the user to choose based on their situation.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just posting to express my thanks to the developer and community for this app. I'm immersed in the Apple ecosystem (not a fanboy, just an old Mac user who isn't comfortable with Google's privacy policies), and so far WattCatt on Bluestacks is working perfectly. I'm not seeing any CPU/power hogging.

I assume that in order to take advantage of the Max State of Charge feature, I need to keep Bluestacks/WattCat active, correct? Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but I didn't see it in skimming this thread and a search for "max state of charge" came up empty.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Just posting to express my thanks to the developer and community for this app. I'm immersed in the Apple ecosystem (not a fanboy, just an old Mac user who isn't comfortable with Google's privacy policies), and so far WattCatt on Bluestacks is working perfectly. I'm not seeing any CPU/power hogging.

I assume that in order to take advantage of the Max State of Charge feature, I need to keep Bluestacks/WattCat active, correct? Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but I didn't see it in skimming this thread and a search for "max state of charge" came up empty.

Thanks again.
Glad you enjoy the app.

The Max state of charge feature, and many of the other WattCat-exclusive features are powered by Android's WorkManager API. Unfortuantely, I have no idea how that API behaves with Bluestacks, but at the very least you'd have to keep your Bluestacks emulator running.

Is there any reason why people are using Bluestacks over the official Android emulator?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is there any reason why people are using Bluestacks over the official Android emulator?
I was not aware that an official Android emulator for the Mac existed for non-developers. Although it has a reputation for being a bloated resource hog, Bluestacks seems to be the most common emulator for the Mac.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I have cat napping in the garage with a slow drip IV of electrons from the Jaguar supplied charger. It's been this way for well over 1 day. I didn't want to walk out and disturb the peaceful nap in person, so I used Jaguar app to lock it. Driver door window was intentionally left open when the charging was started.

At that time, WattCat shows an amber "Close Windows" button. I try that and got an immediate error message out of WattCat ("An error occurred with remote lock") and Jaguar app ("An error has occurred with Remote Lock. Try again later after driving the car').

Just thought I'd mention it. It doesn't appear that one can close the windows on a locked car, at least not in US market.

·
Registered
649 Posts
At that time, WattCat shows an amber "Close Windows" button. I try that and got an immediate error message out of WattCat ("An error occurred with remote lock") and Jaguar app ("An error has occurred with Remote Lock. Try again later after driving the car').
I would be curious to know how to open/close a window with the API . There is no such explicit command in the documentation. @ardevd any hints ?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Glad you enjoy the app.

The Max state of charge feature, and many of the other WattCat-exclusive features are powered by Android's WorkManager API. Unfortuantely, I have no idea how that API behaves with Bluestacks, but at the very least you'd have to keep your Bluestacks emulator running.
Can report that WattCat running on a MacBook Pro (10.15.6) via Bluestacks successfully paused charging at 85% last night.

Big (y)

Thanks again for the great app.

The odd thing is that I could not manually pause charging through WattCat or either of the JLR remote apps last night and the car ignored the setting for charge times (set to start at 2:00 AM and it started immediately at plugin). The car's TCU Software Version is J8A2-70712-AY (18.2).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Just chiming in to say that v1.6.0 is now available. The preferred charging period API is pretty horrible but I've integrated with it as best as possible based on many hours of reversing and testing. It's interesting how Jaguar's own apps handle it differently compared to what the vehicle does and how many of the API properties simply don't work at all.

At any rate, hope it works and that you find the newly added service bulletins useful as well.

I'd also take the opportunity to mention that donating to support development is now possible through Liberapay (PayPal also supported) here

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Just chiming in to say that v1.6.0 is now available. The preferred charging period API is pretty horrible but I've integrated with it as best as possible based on many hours of reversing and testing. It's interesting how Jaguar's own apps handle it differently compared to what the vehicle does and how many of the API properties simply don't work at all.

At any rate, hope it works and that you find the newly added service bulletins useful as well.

I'd also take the opportunity to mention that donating to support development is now possible through Liberapay (PayPal also supported) here
Just donated. Thank you for such a wonderful app

Reactions: ardevd

·
Registered
396 Posts

Just chipped in. Thanks for the great app!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just donated and set it to yearly, with a manual renewal. Should in effect be the same as a one-time, because you'll have to authorize the next payment.
Same. I don't even have an Android device, but I rely on WattCat via Bluestacks for charging and monitoring. I left a yearly donation and after getting confirmation of my payment, I removed my saved payment information. It's an extra step, but essentially the same thing as a one-time payment.

221 - 240 of 271 Posts