Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last three days I've received the following WattCat notification on my phone - "The 12V battery voltage is low. Consider taking your vehicle for a drive soon."

The aux battery voltage is on the Details page and I think was normally 13.2V and when I checked it was at 12.1V. We took the vehicle for a 20 mile drive and the voltage was at 12.6 when we arrived home but within 20 minutes was at 12.2V and I continued to receive the notification. I just installed new maps while the car sat in the garage and the battery was at 12.8V and within minutes of shutdown was at 12.0V and I received another warning.

Is this another API reporting problem similar to battery health or is this a real issue? Any thoughts? The one thing I did learn is the car must be running for the traction battery to charge the other two batteries. I think there might have been some debate about this.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curt, wouldn‘t the car itself give a battery warning if this was a real issue?
Yes, there is an idiot light. It hasn't illuminated so it must be something with the API reporting but because it's a new issue I'm still a little worried. I don't know at what voltage the light comes on and by that time it may cause other problems. I have a multimeter so it's time to check.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I’ve never looked to see how accessible the battery is. I’m sure it’s more accessible than the one in a MS.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just remove the two pins on the plastic cover just above the hole in the frunk, and the main battery will be on your left. Easy access. I boosted it once after a long period of inactivity and strange error message in the dash. After the quick boost, all messages disappeared.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
866 Posts
How long did that 20 mile drive take? i-guide says to drive at least 30 minutes with temps > 32F and 60 minutes with temps < 32F. I guess you should drive 45 minutes if the temps = 32F. It does say you'll get a message on the display when it is detected as too low.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long did that 20 mile drive take? i-guide says to drive at least 30 minutes with temps > 32F and 60 minutes with temps < 32F. I guess you should drive 45 minutes if the temps = 32F. It does say you'll get a message on the display when it is detected as too low.
According to WattCat the trip took 32 minutes. What's worrying is the drop in voltage after parking. Gonna run out with the multimeter and will report back.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's either WattCat, which I doubt, or something with the car. WattCat basically takes what the API and some other systems report and organize the data into viewable form.

I get notifications throughout the night so I want to hop in the car and go driving. Lol

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
For reference, WattCat is telling me that mine is 13.4V.

Bad data at the server? Yes, it is possible. The other day, I got home, plugged in and then opened WattCat to see charging data and start a logging. WattCat showed no tyre pressures. I exited it, even stopped it, and started it again. Nothing for pressures. I looked at the details data and it was wacky too. My service interval had amazingly gone to over 19000 miles though it should have been 3000-something. Odometer was not true either.

I used the dermotte's useful webpage display of car data. Tyre pressure there showed up as 1000. Distance to next service was 32000.

I ignored it and checked again after I drove it the next time. Everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For reference, WattCat is telling me that mine is 13.4V.
I think I was seeing 13.2 or 13.6 but I don't remember. I'm wondering if the voltage reading has been wrong all along as 12.6V is what the battery testing information says is a fully charged battery.

Using the multimeter was easy. I removed the frunk access cover and the battery was easy to access. The positive terminal has a red plastic cover that I was afraid of breaking but there was a small slot on either side of the cover to insert the probe. No mess, no fuss.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Test both batteries?

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Frunk area. Opposite side of the large battery. You'll see its posts covered by caps too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts