Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that every time I pick up my car from the dealer, they ‘undo’ my light load setting and pump my tires back up to 48psi. I am spoiled by the buttery smooth ride that comes from the Light Load setting and 37psi. I thought they had put the car together wrong but then realized they had done a software update and the TPS sensors probably warned them that all my tires are too low.

What a difference a few pounds makes. That is what my wife has been saying as well...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It seems that every time I pick up my car from the dealer, they ‘undo’ my light load setting and pump my tires back up to 48psi. I am spoiled by the buttery smooth ride that comes from the Light Load setting and 37psi. I thought they had put the car together wrong but then realized they had done a software update and the TPS sensors probably warned them that all my tires are too low.

What a difference a few pounds makes. That is what my wife has been saying as well...
Doesn't matter how many times I tell them not to inflate the tires or wash my car. They always do it.
I just get home and deflate them myself.
Maybe the get money from JLR for warranty work if they inflate the tires?

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dealer told me that part of the setup process for working on the I-Pace (which also involves setting up a cordon around it in the shop) is to deflate all the tires. This may be why yours don’t come back the way you dropped them off.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
The technician that works on my car has cordoned it off with tape around the work area, but did not deflate the tires. I wonder why it would be necessary to deflate the tires? I might see him this week and if so I will ask him.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
In the US I believe it is an OSHA regulation when working on the high voltage battery. This should prevent anyone in the shop not qualified to work on the traction battery inadvertently walking into the work area.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
730 Posts
EVERY dealer, EVERY car brand....the tire psi is totally fu*ked up after every visit. I do not know how or why they do this!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'll hazard a guess as to why:

Keep in mind that the I Pace is a really heavy car for its size and a small amount of under-inflation could potentially lead to a catastrophic failure. I think they only increased the recommended pressure on the Explorer by 4 psi in response to that controversy.

As for the OSHA requirements, I have a client who consults with hospitals regarding their emergency power backup systems. I've seen pictures of what an arc flash can do to someone even if they are wearing safety equipment. I don't think that EVs pose the same danger as industrial electric service, but it isn't anything to mess around with.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Okay so I asked the technician who worked on my car today about why one of the forum members reported that he was told that tires are deflated when working on the main traction battery. He only laughed along with the Fixed Operations Director and indicated there is no protocol to deflate the tires. The best reason the three of us came up with was that by deflating the tires the car would be more difficult to steal from the service bay. Second best answer is since there is no oil to change in the I Pace perhaps a dealer can charge to change the air in the tires. By the way my tires went in with 37 psi and was returned after my 2 year service with the same 37 psi all around. This proves that it can be done!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ha! That’s funny. I was focused on other things at the time so I didn’t ask for an explanation, but I did see via the app from home that the PSI on all four was zero. In any case, not the first head scratching thing my dealer’s service department has done since I bought the car.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,055 Posts
Ha! That’s funny. I was focused on other things at the time so I didn’t ask for an explanation, but I did see via the app from home that the PSI on all four was zero. In any case, not the first head scratching thing my dealer’s service department has done since I bought the car.
That is not a good practice. That can cause damage to the sidewalls and/or unseat the bead of the tires from the wheels. They need to stop doing that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm curious ... did you see the tires deflated or is this just based on what the app reported?

Reactions: KeithJM

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was told, as part of the hemming and hawing about how difficult it was to move the vehicle in and out of the shop to work on it. And I saw it on the app.
I was wondering if the car was placed on jackstands or a lift. I agree with Ayepace that this would ruin tires if they were left deflated on the car for any length of time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts