Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I ordered the 265 40 22 Continental DWS tires through Discount tire. If they don't fit, they'll give me my money back.

I'll report back as this could be useful for others who order the 22s!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here's the specs for our cars: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/jaguar/i-pace/2019/ All are same hub dia. All of these are going be very close in circumference.

If I were in your situation and did not want to purchase a set of winter rims (18's would be a good choice), I'd look at the 265/40-22 Michelin Pilot Sport All Season: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3%2B+%28W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=64YR2PSAS3PLXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Jaguar&autoYear=2019&autoModel=F-Pace&autoModClar=

I believe the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the 285/35/R22 (106Y) are a "Plus 0" (or "Plus 1") size with negligible difference in tire rotation and speed difference. :wink2: Any thoughts on this size?

Best tires on the market imho. https://tiresize.com/calculator/

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I believe the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the 285/35/R22 (106Y) are a "Plus 0" (or "Plus 1") size with negligible difference in tire rotation and speed difference. :wink2: Any thoughts on this size?

Best tires on the market imho. https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Rim width could be an issue. That's 30mm over. Recommended 9.5" rim minimum? Might work.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Rim width could be an issue. That's 30mm over. Recommended 9.5" rim minimum? Might work.

Not sure. How wide are the OEM 22" wheels on the I-Pace? I would think since the aspect ratio is so close to the OEM tire in the size that this "Plus" size would work; not sure on the outer edge in terms of curb rash though. Anyone know if TireRack would know (if I called) if this Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 285/35/R22 (106Y) would work on our Jaguar OEM 22" wheels?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Tirerack seldom will recommend anything other than stock sizes for liability reasons.

The OEM 22" rim is 8.5" wide.

If you want my opinion, I'd say 285 is too wide for a 8.5 rim. But that's just an opinion. It might be fine.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I ordered 265 40 22s. They should be here in a few days and Discount Tire will attempt to install them. Wish me luck...

Reactions: sflgator

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tirerack seldom will recommend anything other than stock sizes for liability reasons.

The OEM 22" rim is 8.5" wide.

If you want my opinion, I'd say 285 is too wide for a 8.5 rim. But that's just an opinion. It might be fine.
You may correct. I found this online (and these specs are for the 265/40/R22 size - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+)...

Brand: Michelin
Manufacturer's Part Number: 40409
Part Type: Tires
Product Line: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus Tires
Summit Racing Part Number: MHL-40409

Wheel Diameter: 22 in.
Tire Size: 265/40-22
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Tire Construction: Radial
Tire Diameter: 30.40 in.
Section Width: 10.70 in.
Minimum Recommended Wheel Width: 9.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Wheel Width: 10.50 in.
Directional: No
Speed Rating: Y
Load Range: XL
Load Index: 106
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern: Yes
UTQG Tread Wear Rating: 500
Traction Rating: AA
Temperature Rating: A
Tread Depth: 10/32 in.
DOT-Approved: Yes
Run-Flat Technology: No
Tube Required: No
Max Load Single (lbs): 2,094

The 285/35/R22 size says at least a 9.5" wide wheel is recommended; guessing 1" wider than the OEM tires may in fact be too much.

I ordered 265 40 22s. They should be here in a few days and Discount Tire will attempt to install them. Wish me luck...
See above. It should work...fingers crossed. Let us know! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Or just another I-Pace owner who wants to trade up to the 22s. They look stunning - garner lots of compliments.
sgtpeper, I will trade the 18 inch wheels and tires that came with my S for your 22 inch if you do not like the tire swap results. I hurt my knee again and do not expect to be doing the winter skiing trips I had planned.

The 18 inch ride better than both 20 and 22 and, according to Car & Driver, are more than adequate handling for a vehicle this size and weight ( except maybe for the two forum rally drivers).
My car is in its THIRD WEEK in JLR service for a charge fault so, cost aside, I would expect shipping a ready to mount complete wheel with tire (as 4 packages) from N.CA JLR service to your CO JLR service would be achievable.
Steve

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the offer, really not looking to downsize to 18s though.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My big concern with 285's is that they might rub the plastic fender liners when you are turning and hit a bump, like a driveway. I have had that happen on cars/trucks when I increased diameter or width significantly. I don't think 265 is going to rub, but just an opinion.
Rubbing will wear through your fender liner eventually.
I don't know if others have tried this, but our I-Pace in Comfort mode will go over a speed bump at 25 mph. None of our cars will do that without scrapping. And my trucks bucked like a bronco at that speed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just got back from having the DWS 265 40 22s installed. They fit perfectly and barely look any different than the factory tires.

I did notice the stock 22s have foam in them. The new tires do not. In the short drive home I really didn't notice much of a sound difference. Will let you know more after I've taken it on the highway.

At least now I can drive it in cold weather!

Regards,

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just got back from having the DWS 265 40 22s installed. They fit perfectly and barely look any different than the factory tires.

I did notice the stock 22s have foam in them. The new tires do not. In the short drive home I really didn't notice much of a sound difference. Will let you know more after I've taken it on the highway.

At least now I can drive it in cold weather!

Regards,

And these are the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the 265/40/R22 size correct? FYI - remember your actual speed with these larger size tires will be about 0.5mph faster than it shows (at 50mph)...665 revs/mile vs. OEM tires at 672 revs/mile.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I went with Continental Extreme DWS. I've used them in the past on my X5 and had good results.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really should have researched this a bit more before I bought the car... I have the 22" CF wheels and they look incredible!

However, I live in Denver and really want a good all season tire instead of the summer only tire.
If anyone has any other bright ideas, I'm game. Otherwise, let this post serve as a warning to others to not get the 22" rims if you live somewhere that has snow!

Regards,
the option I'd go for is to buy winger wheels (I.e. 4 wheels + tires) for winter, some installers will even store the wheels you don't at any given time for you, or if you have garage space you can just store them yourself, then swap wheels between seasons, in the long term you get the same total tread wear on tires etc., so just a one time cost for the 4 extra wheels

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I just really didn't want to go that route. I paid extra for these **** 22" wheels and I want to use them as much as I can!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just an update.

We got about 6+ inches of snow here in Denver today. I took the car out in the snow and had zero problems with the Continental DWS tires on my 22" rims.

I wanted to try some 4 wheel drifts in the snow but the traction control system is very good at curbing that quickly. I also felt I could stop easily.

I showed a client a home tonight and there was a parking space with untouched snow - of at least 6" and I was able to easily pull in to the space without fear of getting stuck at all.

Overall I'm very happy with the tires.

Reactions: McRat and Calidave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can confirm that the Continental DWS06 tires are pretty darn good. Had them as winter tires for several sports cars over the years.

Ever drive a Camaro SS on icy/snowy roads in Seattle? They got me home safely with no issues.

Now thinking about getting them for my I-pace too...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I've been happy with them so far. The ride is still quite comfortable and I haven't been too worried in any snow storms we've had.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts