Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2019 HSE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I am the new owner of a 2019 i-Pace First Edition. So far I love it but am having an issue with the steering. When traveling at highway speeds, every time the car hits a bump or pavement irregularity that unsettles it while in a turn, it triggers a vibration in the steering wheel that goes on for a second or two. What I am referring to feels as if it’s an intervention in the steering by a lane keeping assist function, although I don‘t have the LKA button on the wheel illuminated. I understand ELK can’t be turned off, but this is happening when I am centered in the lane.

Is this a problem with the car, or a setting I can disable somewhere? It’s happening repeatedly on our lousy New England/New York roads and I don’t like having my steering interfered with. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I haven’t noticed it in my 2022.

I remember when I test drove a used 2019 I felt like comfort mode was joltyand uncomfortable with bumps. There was a lot of reverberation through the suspension. It disappeared in dynamic and eco modes. But it wasn’t a steering assist correction like you are describing. Does the driving mode matter?

·
Registered
2019 HSE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven’t noticed it in my 2022.

I remember when I test drove a used 2019 I felt like comfort mode was joltyand uncomfortable with bumps. There was a lot of reverberation through the suspension. It disappeared in dynamic and eco modes. But it wasn’t a steering assist correction like you are describing. Does the driving mode matter?
Happens in all driving modes. And to clarify, when I say it’s like an intervention I mean a vibration, like an alert, not an actual steering correction.

·
Registered
2019 HSE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although I did a search before posting, I just discovered this thread:

This is what I am describing. Doesn’t appear it was ever resolved…

·
Registered
838 Posts
After reading that thread I think I know what you are talking about. Sometimes when I take a turn I notice a vibration in the steering wheel. I interpreted it as road feedback. Because when I turn the wheel slightly it goes away. I thought it was tire feedback to be honest.

I’ve had my car for a couple of weeks. I didn’t consider it abnormal. I think I remember it happening on my previous Cayenne Turbo as well, but not sure.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hi all. I am the new owner of a 2019 i-Pace First Edition. So far I love it but am having an issue with the steering. When traveling at highway speeds, every time the car hits a bump or pavement irregularity that unsettles it while in a turn, it triggers a vibration in the steering wheel that goes on for a second or two. What I am referring to feels as if it’s an intervention in the steering by a lane keeping assist function, although I don‘t have the LKA button on the wheel illuminated. I understand ELK can’t be turned off, but this is happening when I am centered in the lane.

Is this a problem with the car, or a setting I can disable somewhere? It’s happening repeatedly on our lousy New England/New York roads and I don’t like having my steering interfered with. Thanks in advance!
Go through all the settings again, both the ones on the driver display and the ones on the entertainment system.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Make sure your tires are correctly balanced. The type of steering the i-PACE uses magnifies steering disturbance when the balance is not ideal. Balancing my wheels every 10-15k miles solves this issue for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2019 first addition and had this problem on sweeping right hand turns at approx 70 to 80 mph. Dealer replaced the IPMA which was extremely hot. It fixed the problem back in 2020. But the problem now seems to be returning. Not sure what an IPMA is. It felt like the LKA was alerting me although I was within the lane markings. I may try getting the wheels rebalanced.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,093 Posts
It could be that vehicles experiencing this oscillation may have a defective accelerometer (there are 3 of them) or vehicle height sensor giving bad data to the chassis control module that in turn gives commands to adjust the suspension via the shock valving. Or it needs a software update.

Here's just two of its control actions:
  • Bump rebound control - Uses suspension height sensor inputs. Monitors the position of the wheel 500 times a
    second and increases the damping rate as the adaptive shock absorber approaches the end of its travel.

• Wheel hop control - Uses suspension height sensor and HS CAN chassis systems bus inputs. Monitors the position
    of the wheel 500 times a second. Detects when the wheel begins to vibrate at its natural frequency and increases
    the damping to reduce vertical wheel motion.
It also tries to control roll rate and pitch rate based on various inputs via the shock absorber control.

Or an adaptive shock absorber is defective/marginally performing.

If the car is exceeding 0.2g acceleration or corning then the chassis control module will be affected in its decisions for control of the air suspension to keep the car level.

And as previously mentioned, ensure the driver assistance options are set to your liking in the instrument panel menu.

·
Registered
2019 HSE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update. Shortly after posting this, the issue went away and hasn’t returned yet. As a pilot I hate it when a problem is intermittent or disappears and can’t be diagnosed. While I love the adaptive suspension and the way the car handles, I have to say it makes me somewhat uncomfortable that there is all this technology between me and the steering of the car. But there it is…

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wonder if it could be related to the camera being confused by snow on the road, frost heaves, etc. that are common in the northeast this time of year. I have definitely seem my car become confused and give me a lane departure shake when none was called for. I drove to Maine last weekend in my wife's Volvo and it did the same thing a couple of times.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I have had this exact problem since I got my I-pace brand new in March 2019. It is an HSE with adaptive suspension. The problem happens at freeway speed (70MPH+) and in a sweeping turn. The slightest bump (literally a 1" flaw in the pavement) will cause a vibration in the steering wheel and a slight but noticeable loss of steering precision. It will not dissipate until the turn angle is changed. I've been able to keep it going for as much as 10 sec in a section of freeway that has a long curve. I've tried every driving mode and cruise control setting to try to change it and it doesn't change. I have not tried with the dealer to fix it, I've just lived with it. Other than this one thing, the car has been a joy to drive. I would love to know what this problem is and to get it fixed. If anyone has done something to permanently eliminate it, I would love to know what it was.

·
Registered
184 Posts
eJeff & WB3, there is a new post today by Ayepace that may be applicable as TSBs have been raised.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
838 Posts
I’ve been paying attention to this and I think I know what others are talking about.

To me it’s sufficiently minor and resolved when you turn the wheel which I usually do in a few seconds anyways.

I’m not going to worry about it unless someone finds an easy solution.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had this exact problem since I got my I-pace brand new in March 2019. It is an HSE with adaptive suspension. The problem happens at freeway speed (70MPH+) and in a sweeping turn. The slightest bump (literally a 1" flaw in the pavement) will cause a vibration in the steering wheel and a slight but noticeable loss of steering precision. It will not dissipate until the turn angle is changed. I've been able to keep it going for as much as 10 sec in a section of freeway that has a long curve. I've tried every driving mode and cruise control setting to try to change it and it doesn't change. I have not tried with the dealer to fix it, I've just lived with it. Other than this one thing, the car has been a joy to drive. I would love to know what this problem is and to get it fixed. If anyone has done something to permanently eliminate it, I would love to know what it was.
I have the same problem, but it can happen at speeds close to 45MPH in sweeping turns. The vibration can get worse if LKA senses that your tire is too close to the line. I did a wheel balance about 10k miles ago that made it alot better, but it is getting concerning again. Plan to do another balance this weekend, and have the alignment checked.

2019 FE, noticed this issue since purchase at 10k miles, now has 33k miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any unusual tread wear on this vibrating cars? Scalloping?
My tires show no sign at all. Wear looks normal. No obvious alignment issues either. My car had 12 miles on it when it first happened, so unless it was shipped from the factory with wheels out of balance, that's not it. My conclusion has been that there is some sort of resonance happening at the right speed and turn rate. Likely something in the air suspension control or similar.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts