Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been happening pretty much the entire time I've owned this car. If I go over a bump while changing lanes or just mid-turn on the highway, the wheel starts to vibrate until the wheel goes back to center.

Does this happen for anyone else? It's really annoying me lately...

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
900 Posts
Have you got lane keep assist activated for vibrating the wheel? Just signal a lane change/turn first and it won't happen.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have it enabled.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sort of similar. It sort of feels like the suspension is getting upset over uneven pavement or like an out of balance wheel or something.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This has been happening pretty much the entire time I've owned this car. If I go over a bump while changing lanes or just mid-turn on the highway, the wheel starts to vibrate until the wheel goes back to center.

Does this happen for anyone else? It's really annoying me lately...
Yes, I get that too , only if on Freeway and its not straight line, so if the road is curved to the left and a small bump then it rattles. Seems air suspension is adjusting itself but caught in a few seconds of loop..

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sort of similar. It sort of feels like the suspension is getting upset over uneven pavement or like an out of balance wheel or something.
I don't notice quick vibrations, but on uneven roads, there is body roll. It moves side to side and the steering isn't affected

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is pretty much exactly like what @SeanM1 is describing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine is pretty much exactly like what @SeanM1 is describing.
I have exactly this issue. Mine is more associated with a right curve than left, but it has always happened. I've considered asking a service tech ride with me so I can demonstrate but haven't done it yet. I also have the sense that it is an air suspension issue.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the same thing and can tell you exactly where on a stretch of road it will happen as it does it every day on the way home. I have to be driving above 110km/h, and on a right-hand sweeper and I have to hit an expansion joint after this one bridge and it sends a speed wobble through the whole car that won’t go away until I slow down enough. If I am going 120 km/h I can keep it going for up to 10 seconds at a time. One of these days I will film it. It feels like a milder version of the lane keeping assist but it isn’t that. Very speed dependant and I have to be on a gentle turn. Being out of the lane isn’t a factor as I have experimented with that as well as that was my first impulse. I used to have a Jeep Wrangler that had the infamous ‘death wobble’ so I am very familiar with speed wobbles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Timbo, 120kph on a bend with an expansion joint. Is there a reduced speed limit signed for this bend?

I tend to defy these advisory signs on "canyon" roads when driving my I-Pace. I am wondering if this expansion joint has triggered a tire slip and a Stability Control event, that you continue to drive through with throttle applied.

I have not experienced this, I expect that you would not be inclined to check the dash for any warning messages, while controlling this speed wobble.

The only nasty wobble I have experienced was at a traffic light get away, with max throttle, in Eco, with suspension on max lift. The road surface had a series of scalloped dips caused by overweight trucks. This wobble was like a small boat at sea in a swell, and not likely to be triggered by me again.

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same thing and can tell you exactly where on a stretch of road it will happen as it does it every day on the way home. I have to be driving above 110km/h, and on a right-hand sweeper and I have to hit an expansion joint after this one bridge and it sends a speed wobble through the whole car that won’t go away until I slow down enough. If I am going 120 km/h I can keep it going for up to 10 seconds at a time. One of these days I will film it. It feels like a milder version of the lane keeping assist but it isn’t that. Very speed dependant and I have to be on a gentle turn. Being out of the lane isn’t a factor as I have experimented with that as well as that was my first impulse. I used to have a Jeep Wrangler that had the infamous ‘death wobble’ so I am very familiar with speed wobbles.
I also have a place on my commute where it happens every time. It is a mild curve to the right on the freeway with a slight pavement transition in the middle of it. If this area is crossed at over 65 MPH it starts a vibration in the suspension that is felt in the steering wheel and I have found I can maintain it indefinitely for as long as I maintain the turn and the speed. If I relax the turn momentarily it will stop immediately. It feels like a resonance in the suspension with a frequency of about 20-30 Hz. It doesn't cause a loss of control, but I suppose it might if it happened during an evasive maneuver because the steering is not precise during the vibration. I do think Jaguar should be made aware of it if they are not already. It is the only consistent problem I've experienced in my car in nearly 18 months of ownership.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Timbo, 120kph on a bend with an expansion joint. Is there a reduced speed limit signed for this bend?

I tend to defy these advisory signs on "canyon" roads when driving my I-Pace. I am wondering if this expansion joint has triggered a tire slip and a Stability Control event, that you continue to drive through with throttle applied.

I have not experienced this, I expect that you would not be inclined to check the dash for any warning messages, while controlling this speed wobble.

The only nasty wobble I have experienced was at a traffic light get away, with max throttle, in Eco, with suspension on max lift. The road surface had a series of scalloped dips caused by overweight trucks. This wobble was like a small boat at sea in a swell, and not likely to be triggered by me again.

Cheers Steve
No, it is quite mild and not a ‘white knuckle’ event so it is more of a nuisance than anything and is not putting up a message on the dash.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I also have a place on my commute where it happens every time. It is a mild curve to the right on the freeway with a slight pavement transition in the middle of it. If this area is crossed at over 65 MPH it starts a vibration in the suspension that is felt in the steering wheel and I have found I can maintain it indefinitely for as long as I maintain the turn and the speed. If I relax the turn momentarily it will stop immediately. It feels like a resonance in the suspension with a frequency of about 20-30 Hz. It doesn't cause a loss of control, but I suppose it might if it happened during an evasive maneuver because the steering is not precise during the vibration. I do think Jaguar should be made aware of it if they are not already. It is the only consistent problem I've experienced in my car in nearly 18 months of ownership.
Yes—this is the identical description of what i am experiencing. Is your car Corrus Grey as well? Maybe that is the common denominator. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have exactly this issue. Mine is more associated with a right curve than left, but it has always happened. I've considered asking a service tech ride with me so I can demonstrate but haven't done it yet. I also have the sense that it is an air suspension issue.
Left curve was an example, yes left or right

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes—this is the identical description of what i am experiencing. Is your car Corrus Grey as well? Maybe that is the common denominator. :)
Ha! Silicon Silver HSE. BTW - I've tried the different modes of operation (Comfort, Performance, ECO) nothing makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
900 Posts
What tires and wheel sizes are on the victims of this?
Date of manufacture? I ask this in case there's a common batch of parts or mis-assembly (the kind of thing that leads to TSBs/recalls).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine is a fairly early FE with the 22" wheels.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts