Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although we have been having a rather mild winter here on the shore of Lake Huron, yesterday was very cold and it was also a day I had to drive 300 kms to Toronto and then back. The outbound trip started with -18C (about zero F) and ended in Toronto at -4C (25F), with most of the trip at -12 to -14C (8F). The return trip was a little milder but still well below the freezing mark.

I was very pleased with the range. I got to Toronto with 30 kms of range left (19 miles) and fully recharged. On the return trip I had 40 kms (25 miles) left. I drove at 100 kms per hour on the highway, and 120 on the freeway (not much freeway where I live).

Given the very cold temperatures, this 330-340 km (around 205 miles) range was much better than I had expected. I did notice that leaving the AC on gave me better range - the heat pump obviously scavenges something from even very frigid conditions. I have not yet got the H264 upgrade.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Although we have been having a rather mild winter here on the shore of Lake Huron, yesterday was very cold and it was also a day I had to drive 300 kms to Toronto and then back. The outbound trip started with -18C (about zero F) and ended in Toronto at -4C (25F), with most of the trip at -12 to -14C (8F). The return trip was a little milder but still well below the freezing mark.

I was very pleased with the range. I got to Toronto with 30 kms of range left (19 miles) and fully recharged. On the return trip I had 40 kms (25 miles) left. I drove at 100 kms per hour on the highway, and 120 on the freeway (not much freeway where I live).

Given the very cold temperatures, this 330-340 km (around 205 miles) range was much better than I had expected. I did notice that leaving the AC on gave me better range - the heat pump obviously scavenges something from even very frigid conditions. I have not yet got the H264 upgrade.
Thanks for reporting your results. Those are great numbers especially for those of us who live in cold weather places - although not quite as cold as you just experienced. In November I ran a series of tests to determine the effects of using climate control on range in cold weather and my range was 33% better without using the climate control. Today I was curious to see how H264 affected the car and ran the same route (60 kilometers) at same speed (80k) and same temperature (-2°C to -6°C), same time, car in Eco mode, climate in Auto. Consumption/range was nearly identical with only a 5km difference (H264 being slightly less) So, no hurry to upgrade just for range improvements. Range was 300km so your results are fantastic considering the colder weather.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I note you said you used climate control, as did I. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing!

I'm distinguishing between climate control with and without AC. I had the climate set at 21C, about 70F, and checked the Range Impact screen while engaging and disengaging the AC. The heat was always on; I found that AC "on" lowered the Range Impact, leading to my conclusion that the compressor provides more heat than the power it uses.
If I turn off climate altogether, then I do indeed get a big boost in range.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I note you said you used climate control, as did I. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing!

I'm distinguishing between climate control with and without AC. I had the climate set at 21C, about 70F, and checked the Range Impact screen while engaging and disengaging the AC. The heat was always on; I found that AC "on" lowered the Range Impact, leading to my conclusion that the compressor provides more heat than the power it uses.
If I turn off climate altogether, then I do indeed get a big boost in range.
I had the climate control in Auto which always turns on the AC. When I performed the range tests in November I drove one 60km test with AC deselected and one test with climate in Auto and AC on. The difference in range was 1% better with AC on (climate in Auto). The range numbers are based on actual kWh consumed as reported by WattCat. I never pay attention to the GoM or Range Impact. I pay attention to miles/kilometers travelled and how much SoC I use to calculate what my range is at the moment. For example, my GoM read 416km at 100% charge. After driving 64km the GoM had plummeted to 278km. Dividing the miles/kilometers travelled by the change in SoC I knew my real range was 246km after driving the 64km - a difference of 30km. This allows me to better plan charging and relieves my anxiety when the GoM drops dramatically.

Since downloading WattCat last spring, I've kept a spreadsheet of each charging session and logged # of miles and kWh used plus either city or highway driving. I know my range is around 354km in warm weather and 289km in the cold.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had the climate control in Auto which always turns on the AC. When I performed the range tests in November I drove one 60km test with AC deselected and one test with climate in Auto and AC on. The difference in range was 1% better with AC on (climate in Auto). The range numbers are based on actual kWh consumed as reported by WattCat. I never pay attention to the GoM or Range Impact. I pay attention to miles/kilometers travelled and how much SoC I use to calculate what my range is at the moment. For example, my GoM read 416km at 100% charge. After driving 64km the GoM had plummeted to 278km. Dividing the miles/kilometers travelled by the change in SoC I knew my real range was 246km after driving the 64km - a difference of 30km. This allows me to better plan charging and relieves my anxiety when the GoM drops dramatically.

Since downloading WattCat last spring, I've kept a spreadsheet of each charging session and logged # of miles and kWh used plus either city or highway driving. I know my range is around 354km in warm weather and 289km in the cold.
Why are you using kms when you are in Colorado Springs? Just wondering. One of our friends from overseas, I guess?

Slighty embarrassingly, I have no intuitive feel for how that relates to miles, although of course I know how to do the conversion.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Why are you using kms when you are in Colorado Springs? Just wondering. One of our friends from overseas, I guess?

Slighty embarrassingly, I have no intuitive feel for how that relates to miles, although of course I know how to do the conversion.
Hiya, the original post was in kilometers as the owner is in Canada. I should have posted both measurements but just got lazy... Sorry. So, in miles, the GoM started at 259 miles at 100% SoC and lost over 80 in just 40 miles of driving. Even with the rapid decline, the GoM was still optimistic by 30 miles. After logging every charge since Springs, I am comfortable with 200-220 miles in summer and 170-180 in winter. Of note, the H264 update did not increase my cold weather range for which it was advertised. The difference between pre and post-H264 was 3 miles less with 264. Hope this helps, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts