Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car had the base 18” wheels from the dealer, which is about the only thing I really didn’t like about it (but the deal was too good to pass up). After 6 months I went ahead and got some aftermarket 22’s on there which are much more to my liking.

Question now is, do I really have to take the car to the dealer for them to change something in the settings given the wheel size adjustment? I feel like I read that somewhere else on here, but want to know if it’s truly necessary before I make the effort. Quite frankly, I have no other reason to go. Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,044 Posts
No. Overall diameter of wheel+tire hasn't changed enough (if any) to make any difference.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
154 Posts
A member here (@Jeffrey Steinhorn perhaps?) definitely did say that they went back to the dealer and had something reprogrammed, but didn't specify what that was. My guess was that perhaps the GOM has a rim diameter input used in calculating range. Either way, I upgraded to 22's and haven't done anything. The GOM feels a bit overly optimistic, but one would hope that it would be capable of adjusting over time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice wheels!! This car was truly designed around the 22s. The 20s are so dinky-looking! Methinks I'll have to do this over the summer...

·
Registered
2019 S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Yeah, when I saw my car with the 22’s it was like a whole new car to me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
So what tires did you put on those beautiful new 22” wheels?

·
Registered
2019 S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what tires did you put on those beautiful new 22” wheels?
I put TOYO Proxes ST 3’s on there. I didn’t do a lot of studying up on the tires, but they were recommended by my local shop (and served my purposes for So-Cal weather where I am).

·
Registered
673 Posts
My car had the base 18” wheels from the dealer, which is about the only thing I really didn’t like about it (but the deal was too good to pass up). After 6 months I went ahead and got some aftermarket 22’s on there which are much more to my liking.

View attachment 5222

Question now is, do I really have to take the car to the dealer for them to change something in the settings given the wheel size adjustment? I feel like I read that somewhere else on here, but want to know if it’s truly necessary before I make the effort. Quite frankly, I have no other reason to go. Thoughts? Thanks.
I changed my 18s to 20s. I asked the dealer to change the wheel profile but they want to charge me $250! I just left it alone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put TOYO Proxes ST 3’s on there. I didn’t do a lot of studying up on the tires, but they were recommended by my local shop (and served my purposes for So-Cal weather where I am).
Any concern as to size/load range with the Toyo ST3? Looking at tire rack.com it does not appear that Toyo has a 255/40-22 XL (the Jaguar I-Pace recommended 22” tire size) tire available?

·
Registered
2019 S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah fair question. Not too concerned as I’ve read a couple of others on here who have done the 265/40-22 and haven’t had issue. I’m guessing the slightly increased width might affect the range a small bit, but I’m driving 8 miles to work so range isn’t a big concern for me personally. I’ll report back if there’s anything unusual I discover.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nice wheels!! This car was truly designed around the 22s. The 20s are so dinky-looking! Methinks I'll have to do this over the summer...
I agree the 22s look great - but beware if you drive on gravel or substandard surfaces - or off-road. I have 20s and a buddy has the 22s. !'ve driven both on local rutted gravel roads and they are very harsh on rough surfaces: I'd worry about the rims with such low profile tires. (I do drive a lot on back roads, gravel, even mud!)

·
Registered
47 Posts
A member here (@Jeffrey Steinhorn perhaps?) definitely did say that they went back to the dealer and had something reprogrammed, but didn't specify what that was. My guess was that perhaps the GOM has a rim diameter input used in calculating range. Either way, I upgraded to 22's and haven't done anything. The GOM feels a bit overly optimistic, but one would hope that it would be capable of adjusting over time.
I would suggest to check the real speed the following way: stabilize the speed on a safe road (100 km/h for example) and monitor it with a gps program like gps test. You will see immediately if there is an important gap between values. Theres should be almost no difference. Typically, gps test shoud display 97 km/h.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
154 Posts
I would suggest to check the real speed the following way: stabilize the speed on a safe road (100 km/h for example) and monitor it with a gps program like gps test. You will see immediately if there is an important gap between values. Theres should be almost no difference. Typically, gps test shoud display 97 km/h.
Rolling diameter is barely changed, which is easily determined via an online calculator. My concern here is around the changes in rotational mass. Granted my new wheels and tire size aren't stock, but I logged an increase of 13lbs total at each wheel with the upgrade.

Jag has a website range estimator for the I-Pace, and you specify wheel size there. If memory serves right, moving from 20" to 22" wheels indicates about a 7-10% reduction in range. In which case, that would support the notion that the factory 22's are also adding additional weight over the 20s.

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition with 20" Wheelset using All-Weather Tires
53 Posts
I replaced the Jag 22" wheels with Jag 20" wheels and all-weather tires and have not looked back since. The dealer had to make a CCF file change to alter the recommended tire pressures shown on the console information screen and I corrected the white driver door label to also show the different pressures. While the overall diameter of the wheels with the tires remain the same, the weight of the wheel is significantly less and likely effects the way certain range calculations are made. I would imagine this is also taken into consideration with that CCF file change. The high/low pressure alarms are likely referenced to incorrect recommended pressures unless the file is also changed? The car drives just fine without such a configuration file change. The Dealer has to update that CCF file.

Anyone interested in purchasing excellent condition 22" wheels for way less than dealer pricing and with only 3300 miles on them should look at the attachment to this reply. They are boxed and ready for shipment.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I replaced the Jag 22" wheels with Jag 20" wheels and all-weather tires and have not looked back since. The dealer had to make a CCF file change to alter the recommended tire pressures shown on the console information screen and I corrected the white driver door label to also show the different pressures. While the overall diameter of the wheels with the tires remain the same, the weight of the wheel is significantly less and likely effects the way certain range calculations are made. I would imagine this is also taken into consideration with that CCF file change. The high/low pressure alarms are likely referenced to incorrect recommended pressures unless the file is also changed? The car drives just fine without such a configuration file change. The Dealer has to update that CCF file.

Anyone interested in purchasing excellent condition 22" wheels for way less than dealer pricing and with only 3300 miles on them should look at the attachment to this reply. They are boxed and ready for shipment.
Interesting, nearly every post about wheel size change is going to a larger wheel diameter from what the car shipped with. Out of curiosity what predicated your desire to go down in size?

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition with 20" Wheelset using All-Weather Tires
53 Posts
Interesting, nearly every post about wheel size change is going to a larger wheel diameter from what the car shipped with. Out of curiosity what predicated your desire to go down in size?
Simple but costly decision was made based on not understanding the implication of the 22" wheel size. My First Edition was purchased used with only 3300 miles on the odometer. It came with the top-of-the-line wheels and summer Pirelli PZ4 tires. I live in Maryland where there is a winter season. The first day out I had a flat-tire and journeyed to TiresPlus only to find out that this tire replacement would cost near $500 AND they are not recommended for use in cold climate conditions. No all-weather tire was sold by Pirelli in that size and for that matter it was difficult to even find such a tire. The tire was patched and I went to the expense of purchasing the 20" wheels and Jaguar factory recommended Goodyear all-weather tires. The smaller wheel size provided many choices of tires. I had no interest in swapping tires depending on seasons not to mention the much smaller tread life of 10K miles. This was the right decision for me and I have no regrets. I can now use these 40K mile tread life tires all year round. The ride is much smoother as well.

For anyone who is interested in the performance afforded by these 22" wheels and is either willing to swap tires or have a second set of pre-mounted tires you can now own well-discounted Jaguar OEM wheels rather than trying to fit into some other non-factory authorized wheelset configuration. Simple reply by Private Message after reviewing the information contained in this post attachment.

I hope this answers you question? And by-the-way these are dynamite looking wheels that drew lots of attention wherever I went and there were people who understood their implication. Just not my cup-of-tea. The current look of my Pace is shown in the avatar of my profile along with my dog who enjoys the ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Regardless of whether you need dealer adjustment I can tell you that you will be making frequent and costly visits to tyre suppliers with 22" wheels. Having come from 10 years of large low profile tyre experience (3 Nissan GTRs) I can say that they definitely impact the ride, tend to offer poorer wet grip and control in bad weather. Their lifespan is also better measured in months than years if you use your car regularly.

The crunch for me was spinning off a motorway where standing water had not adequately drained. Hitting standing water with large low profile tyres will almost always give you aquaplaning and loss of control if you are doing any kind of speed (and I was luckily only doing 50 MPH but still caused £35k of damage to my then 6 month old car).

Never ever again would I take lower profile large tyres as an option (they weren't optional on the GTR they were just standard fit). Whilst the GTR wheel was only 20" it was very low profile and that is what gives the grip problems which I imagine will be similar with 22" on the iPace. Like the iPace the GTR was also all wheel drive and it made zero difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Never ever again would I take lower profile large tyres as an option (they weren't optional on the GTR they were just standard fit). Whilst the GTR wheel was only 20" it was very low profile and that is what gives the grip problems which I imagine will be similar with 22" on the iPace. Like the iPace the GTR was also all wheel drive and it made zero difference.
I have mounted Pirelli 22'' winter on the original rims ,I'm driving in snow here, the behaviour is very correct. Regarding the lifespan, it's too early to say :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts