Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I Just picked up my new I Pace. The car currently has 18 inch rims but I want to upgrade to factory black 20 inch rims, 5 spoke gloss black, T4K3898, but I have two questions I am hoping the forum can help answer:

1. Will upgrading to 20s decrease efficiency/mileage? I've read in other forums it does not impact and others said it "would". Does anyone on here have any real world experience on this?

2. If I upgrade to 20, do I need to have the computer/speedometer recalibrated for the bigger size rims and tires?

These are the current 18s

These are the factory 20s I want to upgrade to

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
905 Posts
1 - Maybe. The tire to road contact area will be different and this will change the rolling resistance slightly. Choice of tire tread will also be a factor. Wind direction and speed would make a greater difference on any given driving period.
2 - No. The overall circumference of the tires remains in the expected range.

·
Registered
556 Posts
There are many, many articles online about tire/wheel size and EV efficiency. All conclude that larger tire/wheel combinations decrease efficiency no matter what brand/model. I opted for the 22s for the looks, love them, and while I get anywhere from 190 (highway) to 240 (city only) miles of range on a full charge, I have never considered it a tradeoff. 200+ miles of range suits me for all but the longest of road trips (3-5 per year), and even those are 'plannable' for charging. Other 'experts' will also tell you the ride gets rougher on larger wheels. This, also, likely has some truth to it. The key to the I-Pace, however, is in the "light load" tire pressure setting in your thumbwheel menu. Setting the tire pressure to 37psi all around (assuming 1-2 passengers and not much cargo) has definitely made a HUGE difference in ride quality and is attested to by many on this forum. The cars ship with 50psi for tire preservation reasons. Most dealers typically fail to change this tire pressure, or if they do, they set them at 40/47psi "normal" even though most test drives are 1-2 people and no cargo, doing a great disservice to the vehicle because at 50psi on 22s the ride can get uncharacteristically rough (worst case scenario!). I would go with the biggest wheels you feel comfortable with... the massive wheel wells, in my opinion, make the 18s look like 'spares' on the I-Pace, which was originally designed by Ian Callum with 22s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are many, many articles online about tire/wheel size and EV efficiency. All conclude that larger tire/wheel combinations decrease efficiency no matter what brand/model. I opted for the 22s for the looks, love them, and while I get anywhere from 190 (highway) to 240 (city only) miles of range on a full charge, I have never considered it a tradeoff. 200+ miles of range suits me for all but the longest of road trips (3-5 per year), and even those are 'plannable' for charging. Other 'experts' will also tell you the ride gets rougher on larger wheels. This, also, likely has some truth to it. The key to the I-Pace, however, is in the "light load" tire pressure setting in your thumbwheel menu. Setting the tire pressure to 37psi all around (assuming 1-2 passengers and not much cargo) has definitely made a HUGE difference in ride quality and is attested to by many on this forum. The cars ship with 50psi for tire preservation reasons. Most dealers typically fail to change this tire pressure, or if they do, they set them at 40/47psi "normal" even though most test drives are 1-2 people and no cargo, doing a great disservice to the vehicle because at 50psi on 22s the ride can get uncharacteristically rough (worst case scenario!). I would go with the biggest wheels you feel comfortable with... the massive wheel wells, in my opinion, make the 18s look like 'spares' on the I-Pace, which was originally designed by Ian Callum with 22s.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the tip regarding the light load air pressure, I don't think I would have thought to try that to help with improving the efficiency.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - Maybe. The tire to road contact area will be different and this will change the rolling resistance slightly. Choice of tire tread will also be a factor. Wind direction and speed would make a greater difference on any given driving period.
2 - No. The overall circumference of the tires remains in the expected range.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
A high air pressure increases efficiency and hurts ride quality. A high air pressure also likely quickens tire wear. Our tires are more worn in the sides than the front. Of course cornering is largely to blame.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi,

I Just picked up my new I Pace. The car currently has 18 inch rims but I want to upgrade to factory black 20 inch rims, 5 spoke gloss black, T4K3898, but I have two questions I am hoping the forum can help answer:

1. Will upgrading to 20s decrease efficiency/mileage? I've read in other forums it does not impact and others said it "would". Does anyone on here have any real world experience on this?

2. If I upgrade to 20, do I need to have the computer/speedometer recalibrated for the bigger size rims and tires?

These are the current 18s
View attachment 3961

These are the factory 20s I want to upgrade to
View attachment 3962
To answer your questions:
1. YES
2. NO

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you do go with bigger wheels, I would love to buy your 18’s to mount snow tires on—especially if you leave the TPM’s on them. No hurry in that I already bought 20” snows that should last a couple more winters, but would prefer the convenience of swapping sets of wheels/tires rather than just tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you do go with bigger wheels, I would love to buy your 18’s to mount snow tires on—especially if you leave the TPM’s on them. No hurry in that I already bought 20” snows that should last a couple more winters, but would prefer the convenience of swapping sets of wheels/tires rather than just tires.
Thanks Bret.....I sent you a PM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts